• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Reserve unit?

Mustadio

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok so today I applied for the Reserves (Infantry), unfortunately I wasn't able to speak with the reserve recruiter because she is at The EX. The recruiter took my files and told me he'd put it on her desk and she would get back to me when The EX is over. The recruiter went through some of the Reserve Units in the area. He told me to pick which one I would like to join so I could tell the reserve recruiter later. Earlier I was ready to say I'd like to join the 48th highlanders without even thinking about it, this is mainly due to the information I received on their website. The problem with this is that I just looked at their web site's information and thought it was good. Now I've started thinking clearer (which is good =D) and I've realized that I should stop being lazy and see what the other units have to offer, and not just go with the first one that looks good. Also to use the forums, since I'm sure many members here have a much clearer idea of what's 'good'.

So...I come to ask for help. There are 4 units which are the infantry units in my area.

The Royal Regiment of Canada
The Toronto Scottish Regiment
The Queen's Own Rifles
The 48th Highlanders of Canada

After doing some research I've changed my mind from the 48th Highlanders (love the name though) being my first choice. Now they are my second choice, while my first is Queens Own Rifles. QoR has a parachuting division (if I'm not mistaken) which is pretty cool. Another big thing that draws me to them is that they seem very organized, up to date, and very active (they seem to have a lot of events going on).

If anyone has information about either one of them, whether you've been to 1 of the places, heard stories, or whatever, I'd like to hear what your opinions are. Although in reality all the places are probably very similar, it's still smart to analyze my choices carefully, so I can pick the 'best' choice, so I can hopefully have the best experience possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Step 1:  Find out which days each of these units parade on and the Armoury they are located at.
Step 2:  Narrow your search down to one or two based on the criteria set out in Step 1.  Which day/location best fits your current life?

Phone the recruiter in each of the units you are interested in and ask to come down on a parade night and 'take the tour'.  A recruiter will be able to answer all your questions and then some.  Heck, after talking to them, you may end up at HMCS York.  Their job is to help you make the decision your asking us to make for you over the internet. Also, ask to talk to other members of the unit.  You may want to ask questions like, why do you like this particular unit or what drove you to them?  If you couldn't have joined them, what unit would you have joined?  This should take you two weeks to schedule everything with them.  Then it's a gut feeling, so think it out and make a careful choice. You can always go back a second time and ask more questions.  They won't think less of you.  In fact that will demonstrate you're making a careful well thought choice.

If I can make one recommendation do not decide based on the posts here about whose in what unit.  I'm a member of one of the units you are interested in, but that really shouldn't matter in your decision.

Best of Luck in your enrollment.

Chris06.  I think this is one of the better responses i've seen on these forums in along time!!!! :salute:

Before I went reg force, I was a member of one of these units too.  Follow Chris's advice and you'll be happy with YOUR decision, not what other people think.

Thanks for the replies, and very good advice.

Now the tours, and talking to members of the units sounds like a very logical and smart thing to do, 1 question though. Will I be able to go through my aptitude test, interview, and medical then choose what unit I'd like to be in? Although I know I shouldn't rush into it, I feel that I'm already sort of late in applying to the spring courses (wanted to apply earlier but couldn't due to reference trouble and stuff). Since I hear how it can take quite a while for the whole application process (mainly the medical part). It would be great if I could do what's needed, and do the tours, instead of having to make my decision before I can proceed with the whole testing and interview. I expect they would allow this and of coarse it's something that would be best if I ask the recruiters, but forums are oh so convenient :).

I guess it is pretty silly to ask my original question on forums, since I'd most likely get biased responses. Also since it is text, you can't distinguish what's true and what's bias as easily as if talking to someone in person. Thanks a lot for the advice, and I'll definitely have look into the tours.

They parade on Fridays, and are located down town Toronto.  Plus kilts are issued to you.

'nuff said.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:

Wow, your not biased at all... ;D
What ever you do, make sure you enjoy it. Reserves is brilliant fun, and if you dislike the Regiment you can always see about go somewhere else.
Goodluck.

Hale said:
Wow, your not biased at all... ;D
What ever you do, make sure you enjoy it. Reserves is brilliant fun, and if you dislike the Regiment you can always see about go somewhere else.
Goodluck.

Hehehe,

Well then what better place to enjoy yourself ;)

dileas

tess

Hey Mustadio.

You're right on about how long it will take to do the testing.  I got everything done in 24 hours and then waited 4 months for it to get processed.  Sometimes applications move at snail speed, sometimes it moves at hare speed.  It will depend on a lot of factors that are completely beyond your control.  Even with my limited experience with the military, the last sentence would apply to many aspects of your future career.  I can't comment on your questions regarding if your application can go forward without deciding on a unit.  My expertise is in the civilian side of HR/Recruitment not the CF side.   

Good on you for being eager and wanting to make the right choice.  Now stop listening to us and start kicking the tires of 'Toronto's Infantry' 

Thank for the replies everyone.

And 'the 48th regulator' I'm part Scottish and my mom always says how she would like to see me in a kilt ;).

Mustadio said:
Thank for the replies everyone.

And 'the 48th regulator' I'm part Scottish and my mom always says how she would like to see me in a kilt ;).

And you wondered about the others...for shame!

dileas

tess

Meh, I still haven't decided. Although kilts are tempting, the airborne division for QoR looks pretty sweet.

Yes I am very fortunate to have a choice, especially considering that they all seem to be of good quality.

May I ask where you're from?

Mustadio said:
Meh, I still haven't decided. Although kilts are tempting, the airborne division for QoR looks pretty sweet.

FYI: Airborne "company".

A division is made up of several brigades commanded by a Major General.

A company is made up of 2 or more platoons and commanded by a Major.

The last time I was at CFRC Toronto (April), the 48th were actively looking for recruits while the QOR were not hiring. I'm hoping the QOR will have a spot open for a spring or summer BMQ as I have to wait 4 months to sort out laser eye surgery. Almost 20 years ago when I first joined, we had recruits and instructors from both units throughout all courses. We got on really well together. I would be happy being in either family. For me however, once a Rifleman, always a Rifleman.

Ah thanks for correcting me.

I'm pretty sure that's what I was told too, that QOR probably wasn't recruiting.
Now both the 48th and QOR is located at 130 Queen St. East, is that for just the offices, or does the training take place there, with both units at the same place.

Mustadio said:
Ah thanks for correcting me.

I'm pretty sure that's what I was told too, that QOR probably wasn't recruiting.
Now both the 48th and QOR is located at 130 Queen St. East, is that for just the offices, or does the training take place there, with both units at the same place.

Moss Park Armoury. 130 Queen St. East. Both units parade and have their Regimental HQs there. Over your reserve career, you would train in a variety of places. Moss Park, Fort York Armoury, Downsview, Meaford, Borden, and/or Petawawa. The QOR also has a company in Scarborough.

Mustadio said:
Yes I am very fortunate to have a choice, especially considering that they all seem to be of good quality.

May I ask where you're from?

Up north and out west in Prince George, BC.

Thanks blindspot...Sounds fun ^_^

redleafjumper said:
Up north and out west in Prince George, BC.

I came back from B.C. a month ago, and when I was looking at the 'locate us' page on the recruiting website and I thought it was pretty stupid that they don't have any in B.C..  Also when you look at it, there are a ton near Toronto. In almost all provinces though they have a bunch or a couple relatively close together, while the rest of the province has to travel quite a distance. Then you provinces like B.C. and Nunavut which have to go to a different province. I completely understand that it's smart to get a lot of recruiting centres and training areas in the hot spots, but they really need to add more, and/or space them out better.

I hope every thing's working out for you. If you're in the regulars since you'd be there for long periods of times it wouldn't be 'that' bad. If you're in the reserves then I'd expect it to suck during the year, when you travel so far to go for just the weekends. Either way it's still something that should be fixed.

Blindspot said:
For me however, once a Rifleman, always a Rifleman.

I was a rifleman in the jump coy 20 years ago!  Hell I may even know you!

Back