• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Anything posted by First Citizen-in-Right...  ;D Hope he doesn't send Rockstar Vatican Assassins to my home and tell me that David Llyod Johnston(by the way, no need to add his middle name, we all know who he is) is an illegal space alien who commands the CIA or something...

Edited for clarity.

torunisfun said:
Pretty much every time some reserve geezer tries to tell me his war story from (Northern Ireland, Bosnia, other gay UN tours and 'hardcore' field ex's)....

If your that person, just know that every time you start telling me about that one gunshot you heard that one day watching some gate in Ireland/Bosnia etc - I'm just thinking about how badly I want to head butt your nose into pulp.

It would have to be this loser.

So, there I was, in Cyprus.  Man, what a tough tour.  Not only did we have to deal with the Turk army and the Greek army, but we had the heat.  And, little did I know then, but a future war would make my tour look like a holiday.  In fact, on my way home from that future war, I would stop off on that island in the eastern Med for just that: a holiday.  Of course, there are nine Canadian soldiers buried on that island.  (You see, until 1970, a soldier was buried where he fell, more or less.)  Those nine Canadians are:

Trooper Joseph H. Campbell
Lieutenant Kenneth E. Edmonds
Rifleman Perry James Hoare
Lance Corporal Joseph P. Chartier
Private Joseph P. E. Bernard
Trooper Lennard Wain Nass
Corporal O.J. Redmond
Corporal  K.A. Salmon
Private T.A. Lerue

Of course, there was that nasty business in 1974 that interrupted, albeit only for a bit, that "vacation mode".  But that was short-lived and only caused a "minor inconvenience" to the 2 KIA and 17 WIA in July of that year.  But since that was all past when I was there, of course, I'm just a dolt for even  bringing it up.  I suppose I should just bin that medal...

You know what?  I'm taking my filter off at my own peril.

Torunisfun.  I served there, on that island, and dealt with my own issues there.  Many others on this forum served elsewhere (Bosnia, Croatia, etc).  For what it's worth, I never served in the Balkans through a fluke in my career path.  But I don't bemoan others for their service.  They could be in NDHQ, they could be in Alert, they could be at a training centre, or they could be "inside the wire" or whatever.  We all have a role to play.  And if you think it's the dumbest thing you hear that someone talks about their tour, whereever that may be, away from friends and family (in the days before internet, when you used Shortwave radio to talk to home, trying to get your kids to use proper voice procedure), well, then, might I suggest that you go fuck yourself.  And shut the fuck up.

CEEBEE501 said:
My experience with chalklines is limited to creating giant checkerboards, but dont they work on tension when pulled tight and the lift line and snap down?

Yes, you are correct. A tight line, when snapped should produce a straight line. The guy failed to apply the 3-4-5 rule to get a line square to the wall. That was problem number one. Somewhow this fella was able to produce a bent line. You'd have to sight down the line to see it, but sure as shit it was crooked.... I suppose you could get that result if you had debris on the floor.....

torunisfun said:
If your that person, just know that every time you start telling me about that one gunshot you heard that one day watching some gate in Ireland/Bosnia etc - I'm just thinking about how badly I want to head butt your nose into pulp.

We-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-helllllll then there, I got a doozy for you: when I was four, living at Namao I rode my tricycle up to the end of the flight line, went right through the gate and proceeded down the flight line, waving at several Hercs taking off. I made it all the way to the hangars, where some guys working on helos kept me busy looking at shiny stuff while they got a hold of my old man. There were no gunshots.

Do I still get a nose smashing headbutt? Please?

The worst things Ive ever been in have started in places considered vacation tours at one time. In fact the last funeral I was from a nothing call.

I get that you dont want to talk about it all the time. Everybody has met "that guy"- and everybody eventually rolls their eyes at him but come on man. Give your head a shake.

[quote author=torunisfun]
Situation:
-I am a reservist
[/quote]
Pretty much every time some reserve geezer tries to tell me his war story from (Northern Ireland, Bosnia, other gay UN tours and 'hardcore' field ex's)....
You guys are the absolute worst. You go on a tour as a reservist augmenting the battlegroup or whoever and you come back to toon land a high speed low drag death machine.  Let's hear some of your "well, BUDS, Back in battalion..." stories.

If you had a backbone you'd actually do something about it instead of bragging about it on the internet, you're one of the guys who sits in the mess and goes on and on about how badass and crazy they are, OR take any chance you get to "go PTSD" and make a scene.

Michigan $2 million lottery winner on food stamps

DETROIT (Reuters) - A Michigan Lottery $2 million jackpot winner from last year is eligible and collecting some food stamp assistance under a loophole state officials have been working for months to close.

Leroy Fick, who lives near Saginaw, took a lump sum payment for his June 2010 prize, buying a house, a used 2008 Audi and investing the rest, attorney John Wilson said on Wednesday.

The income he receives from investing the remaining money leaves Fick eligible under federal rules for food assistance of "far less than $5,000 for the year," Wilson said.

"There is no asset based testing for it, it is all based on income," Wilson said. "The amount that he has invested of this winnings spins off an amount of income and that income is such that he is eligible."

I'm not sure what's worse; the fact that this guy can get food stamps or the fact that his money is so poorly invested that his income is less than $5,000 per year.  ::)

PMedMoe said:

I'm not sure what's worse; the fact that this guy can get food stamps or the fact that his money is so poorly invested that his income is less than $5,000 per year.  ::)

I agree.  Now, if I had no mortgage payments, I would STILL require more than 5k/annum for things like food, gas, electricity..... But I suppose he doesn't have to buy food  ::)

PMedMoe said:

In spite of how much tax was taken off the top (unlike lottery winnings here in Canada), how little was left, and how poorly was it invested to make less than $5K/year?  Sounds like the "Consolidated Mattress Fund" to me...

Saw this story on the news. Supposedly by taking the lump sum he only recieved 850k and not 2 mil.  Poor baby.  House and car took a nice little chunk.  The only investment I can think of was a deposit to a bank account paying a little bit of interest. 

In the article the only one they showed complaining was a woman and her complaint was that he was using the food card.  She felt it wasn't fair as she should have been getting the money spent to feed him.

In his defence he did contact the authorities about the card and was told to keep it as he still qualifed to use it.  His lump sum did not count as income. Legal yes, moral - not in my books.

CountDC said:
Saw this story on the news. Supposedly by taking the lump sum he only recieved 850k and not 2 mil.  Poor baby.  House and car took a nice little chunk.  The only investment I can think of was a deposit to a bank account paying a little bit of interest. 

In the article the only one they showed complaining was a woman and her complaint was that he was using the food card.  She felt it wasn't fair as she should have been getting the money spent to feed him.

In his defence he did contact the authorities about the card and was told to keep it as he still qualifed to use it.  His lump sum did not count as income. Legal yes, moral - not in my books.

There's this lovely tax in the US which forces you to pay up to or more than 25% of the value of a prize.  ;D

CountDC said:
Thanks for this - I'm going to guess taking a monthly or weekly payment instead would have nudged him well past the $5K/year.

The income he receives from investing the remaining money leaves Fick eligible under federal rules for food assistance of "far less than $5,000 for the year," Wilson said.

I don't think this is referring to how much he gets from his investment (which may indeed be poor), but rather how much he is still eligible to receive in food assistance.
It is silly to the extreme though, that a guy with a cheque for nearly nine hundred grand can be collecting any financial assistance.

nuclearzombies said:
Yes, you are correct. A tight line, when snapped should produce a straight line. The guy failed to apply the 3-4-5 rule to get a line square to the wall. That was problem number one. Somewhow this fella was able to produce a bent line. You'd have to sight down the line to see it, but sure as crap it was crooked.... I suppose you could get that result if you had debris on the floor.....
I have seen chalk lines snapped incorrectly but 8"!!!  :facepalm:

BernDawg said:
I have seen chalk lines snapped incorrectly but 8"!!!  :facepalm:

That's why they have shows like "Canada's Worst Handyman"..... ;D

MGalantine said:
[In reference to giant hole in ceiling with petals of drywall hanging down, and friend who I taught how to fix such a hole the day prior.]
Me: What are you doing?
Friend: I'm gluing the petal edges back together with joint compound.
Me: But... Are you gonna tape the joints at least?
Friend: What's that mean?
Me: ...

Guess you didn't teach him that well ;)

Best Buy Employee Loses Job After Thwarting Shoplifter
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/05/03/best-buy-employee-loses-job-after-thwarting-shoplifter/?ncid=txtlnkuscare00000002
By David Schepp, Posted May 3rd 2011

As the saying goes, a good deed never goes unpunished. At least that's what a 51-year-old worker at Best Buy recently discovered all too well when he attempted to thwart a shoplifter.

Roger Kline, 51, lost his job last week after he tried to stop a thief from stealing about $1,600 in merchandise at the electronics retailer's store in Billings, Mont.

Kline's instincts took over, he told the Billings Gazette in detailing the March 28 incident, and instead of letting the man dash away, Kline grabbed the thief and threw him to the ground. The alleged shoplifter was arrested, charged with felony theft and awaits trial.

Kline, meanwhile, was called into his manager's office last week and handed a notice of involuntary separation. He had been fired.

Best Buy's employment policies prevent employees from "pursuing shoplifters under any circumstance or using physical force to detain them" and can be fired for doing so, the Gazette reported.

That policy isn't uncommon among retailers, says Robert Miller, who sits on the Society for Human Resource Management's employee health, safety and security expertise panel.

GAP said:
Best Buy Employee Loses Job After Thwarting Shoplifter

Consider this if you were the business owner:

If the shoplifter gets injured in the act of apprehension, who's liable?
If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, who's liable?

As soon as the retailer promotes this kind of action, they accept some form of liability - and those costs (as a direct result of legal and medical costs, or resulting increases in insurance costs) could be a lot more than the value of the goods. If the store doesn't fire the employee, it leaves the tacit impression that they support the action. Sometimes there is a rational basis behind what seem to be odd policies.

Michael O'Leary said:
Consider this if you were the business owner:

If the shoplifter gets injured in the act of apprehension, who's liable?
If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, who's liable?

As soon as the retailer promotes this kind of action, they accept some form of liability - and those costs (as a direct result of legal and medical costs, or resulting increases in insurance costs) could be a lot more than the value of the goods. If the store doesn't fire the employee, it leaves the tacit impression that they support the action. Sometimes there is a rational basis behind what seem to be odd policies.

No, it's still an irrational basis behind odd policies.  Lawyers tend to cause these problems, and only legislators have the power to fix them.

If the shoplifter gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible for medical costs - as part of their resulting incarceration.

If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible under "Good Samaritan" laws.

Evil thrives when good men do nothing.  Doing good should pay while crime should not.

Back