• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's in a name?

If you walked into a recruiting office and were interested in a job/career in the navy, would the na

• No

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
Not a chance.

When I walked into the recruiting center my main questions were "what do they do?" and "Do I have to lose the mullet?", not "that name sounds cool". 

Yes! Admittedly I am biased. But if anyone knows anyone in advertising or marketing, ask how much money and effort is spent on nomenclature in their world. Just look at the automibile industry. And make no mistake, recruiting is marketing the military as a career.

I had to Yes.  A fellow member in my offce just went to recruiting with his daughter.  She was handed a pile of pamplets about a number of different trades to pick from.  She did not have all day to look through them all so quickly looked at each pamplet to decide which ones to read.  The name and the picture on the pamplet decided for her which trades to read about.  When you have them all to pick from what helps you decide which ones to read about.  I know I would not want to read about every trade in the navy before making up my mind.

How many potential candidates go in knowing what "infantry" means, much less what they do?

Sometimes the trade name is not indicative of the actual job.

Chief Tech said:
Yes! Admittedly I am biased. But if anyone knows anyone in advertising or marketing, ask how much money and effort is spent on nomenclature in their world. Just look at the automibile industry. And make no mistake, recruiting is marketing the military as a career.

Excellent point, Chief Tech! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and marketers cash in on that, for sure! If viewers of this forum haven't looked at the Recruiting website lately, it's definitely worth a peek. However, good luck with all the flash and video bits if you're on the DIN - you'll have to look at it on a private system to get the best out of it.

http://www.forces.ca/

Say what you will, but Chief Tech is correct. And to be honest, I like the way Recruiting is marketing! It's cool! It's very cool!! And if you're a young person looking into the military, you're likely tuned into all the marketing (TV, net, etc.). No matter what people say about cleaning stations, there also comes a time when you hear "Action Stations" piped for real, and that's when the job gets exciting, and perhaps dangerous. After all, it is the military, and some of those potential recruits are looking for excitement, adventure, and yes, even danger.

Shamrock said:
How many potential candidates go in knowing what "infantry" means, much less what they do?

But how many go in thinking they know what those names mean?  Name recognition is a valuable first step in marketing and image.

I'm glad to see this is getting some responses. Get your friends and colleagues invloved in this one if you can!

Thanks!
wepstech :skull:

Names can be important in attracting applicants, I joined as an Electro Mechanical Tech (ELM) in the 70's. When more high tech electronics were introduced we became Fire Control Systems (FCS) but too many confused us with either Fire Fighters or Fire Control Man in the Navy. So they changed again to Electronic-Optronic Tech Land (E-O Tech) and they seems to filling their courses now.

I'm sure if Signal Operator was called something else it would attract more applicants.

It would not make a difference to me what the name was.  That being said I'm lucky cause my trade of interest has a straight forward, relevant  sounding name. 

I don't think the names are particularly "bad", if anything they are just too technical sounding.  If your 17 out of high school and you here a 17 syllable trade name you might think, "yes a little out of my league that one."

That being said I don't suppose there is much that can be done bout that...  :-\ 

Nope in wouldnt/didnt effect my choice.

I'm the MARS equivalent in the RAN, known as a "Seaman" Officer.

Hard to live that one down with your mates when I was going through the recruitment porcess, "In the Navy" sexual connotations and all that jazz.

Whilst it didn't deter me, it may have been a contributing factor in the choices of others.

The name has now been changed to Junior Warfare Officer, probably due in no small part for that reason.

Back