• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What rank do you hope to achieve in your CF career?

• Thread starter Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date Start date
I thought I was doing OK when I made it to Capt! Cheers.

Thats a lovely dream che...buuut at the rate the government is investing in us, we would be lucky to get a canoe with .50 mounted on the bow and a karl gustav on the stern for added horsepower to get out of those really tight situations  ;D

I am hoping to get to Lt. although im going the ncm route. yeah its gonna be tough so even if i get up to Sgt. I will be damned pleased with my military career.

PARAMEDIC said:
"... a karl gustav on the stern for added horsepower to get out of those really tight situations ..."

Sorry - this is just a good-natured leg pull ... but ... even though Newton did indeed state that "there is an equal and opposite reaction ...", I'm kinda thinkin' a recoil-less rifle ain't gonna add too much to propulsion ... (plus, yer gonna fry folks between you and the bow ... chuckle)

Okay - sorry - sorry - sorry - I just couldn't resist.

Returning to the topic, I joined as a private and had no desire to have any rank at all - I only wanted to avoid being cannon fodder in the Next Great Hate.
However, the Regiment offered me a commission and I took it.
Now, IMHO I've invested too much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears to retire at my present rank
(plus, the Army has also invested a staggering amount in me, too - 27 years worth of training ...).
One more promotion, please and thank you very much, and I'll be content - then you can go ahead and order my tombstone.

I'm so far beyond my original expectations now (and those of many others...) that I just take it a day at a time!

Given that it took me more time to reach MCpl (10.5 years) than to go from MCpl to WO (9 years to the day) I think  can say I've exceeded my early expectations. Right now I'm not sure where I'd like to go from here - commission or try the brass ring of MWO.

bossi said:
Sorry - this is just a good-natured leg pull ... but ... even though Newton did indeed state that "there is an equal and opposite reaction ...", I'm kinda thinkin' a recoil-less rifle ain't gonna add too much to propulsion ... (plus, yer gonna fry folks between you and the bow ... chuckle)

Okay - sorry - sorry - sorry - I just couldn't resist.

Returning to the topic, I joined as a private and had no desire to have any rank at all - I only wanted to avoid being cannon fodder in the Next Great Hate.
However, the Regiment offered me a commission and I took it.
Now, IMHO I've invested too much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears to retire at my present rank
(plus, the Army has also invested a staggering amount in me, too - 27 years worth of training ...).
One more promotion, please and thank you very much, and I'll be content - then you can go ahead and order my tombstone.

I like your thinking Bossi, and thank you for the long service for serving your country (and everyone else!)  :salute:

;D lol bossi , i couldn't think of anything light enuf to add to the stern lol.. hey would the m72 help hhaaaha

like i said at the rate they are investing in us any bit of thrust even from a recoil less gun  would help  ;)

Firing the said weapon at a 60 degree angle with everyone hitting the deck would eliminate the chances of having KFC on board lol ;D

with all the news/rumors of ranks being cut or shortned i would be happy just to get to Sgt.

Princess-Know-it-all-Queen-of-the-world-Boss-of-everything!  ;D

Frank in Vancouver said:
Mouahahahahahaa!!  :blotto:  What a good one!!  :dontpanic:

Commander Keen rock!!

Am I the only one who finds it funny??  Or the only one who talks about it??  ???

Commander Keen rocks.

Not sure what rank I'd like to be....I DO however know the job I'd like.....I want to be the guy who thinks up all the names for all the Ops.......either that or head of the dress regulations dept.  I suppose both would likely be a Major's job, so I guess that's the rank.  MGen seems to be a good rank though, all the MGen's around here don't really have huge jobs.  BGen's are usually area/bde commanders, the CLS is a LGen, so I guess MGen is the in-between.  Plus it's the only rank that has a catchy British showtune about it.....that has to speak for itself.

I think I would like to be a competant Cpl.
Sometimes it is'nt about rank as much as it is about ability.....

I want to get to a Mcpl (I loved instructing)then a few years before I retire go officer for the pension. other  then that I really don't care, even If i only make it to Cpl I will be happy. Working for a living isn't all that bad

CTD said:
then a few years before I retire go officer for the pension.

Please - there has to be a better reason to accept the Queen's Commission than that!!!

Sorry, but realistically why do people do it? 
An SM to a Capt.? A position to a place?  PENSION!....and I don't blame them!  There is an afterlife.

CTD said:
I want to get to a Mcpl (I loved instructing)then a few years before I retire go officer for the pension. other then that I really don't care, even If i only make it to Cpl I will be happy. Working for a living isn't all that bad

This is a reason to seek a commission? Buy RRSPs and go for CWO. Cheers.

I think I would like to be MCpl..  or Cpl..  as I'm not in the CF yet, I'm not sure of the job of a MCpl...

Frank

This is a reason to seek a commission? Buy RRSPs and go for CWO. Cheers.

Agreed.  I think it denigrates the rank and the commission by making it a "retirement home" for SNCO's.

Besides the monetary incentive, why would someone who spent roughly 20 years as an NCO suddenly want to "jump ship"; they were very good NCO's and should be able to retire as a very good NCO.

Infanteer said:
Agreed. I think it denigrates the rank and the commission by making it a "retirement home" for SNCO's.

Besides the monetary incentive, why would someone who spent roughly 20 years as an NCO suddenly want to "jump ship"; they were very good NCO's and should be able to retire as a very good NCO.

I have nothing against WOs/NCOs commissioning (quite obviously...) but not solely for the reason of "getting a better pension". I have heard a few RegF senior NCOs describe this course of action over the years as a careeer plan as in " gonna go Officer and get the pension". If this is a widespread mindset IMHO we need to fix it. Just as we need to stop commissioning CWOs "to give them a few more years". Employ them as CWOs as long as required, but commission them only if required and suitable. Cheers.

Or fix the pension system that has NCO's thinking like that.

Back