• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is currently being used to cover maps for drawing on in the field?

• Thread starter Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date Start date
J

jollyjacktar

I need to placticise some of my Incident Board drawings for my ship.  They'll be up to the size of the maps the Army uses.  We used to get rolls of mactac from the system years ago when I was in Calgary to prep the new maps for use in the field.  Lyreco does not carry anything like it.  Can someone from the Army side of things here lead me in the right direction so I can let my stores guy know where to go?  Thanks.

You might try giving Visual Planning Corp a call and see if they have what you want.

http://www.visualplanning.com/PDFPages/LaminatingFilmsVPV3CDNPriceListVP0312.pdf

I believe it is through them that we have a Standing Offer to purchase rolls.

On my last ship the cooks/ scullery had rolls of see-through plastic that were used as table clothes. We would use that on our boards in ops. It worked alright.

Thanks Winni, but I'm looking for the stuff that is used to waterproof maps and allow them to be drawn on with grease pencils and will allow the paper to be rolled up or folded as needed.  George has the right idea for my purpose. 

http://mactac.com is "the manufacturer" of mac tac, but similar products are made by multiple producers.

FWIW, the map covering stuff is often sold as drawer liner, or counter protector, if you can't find it with stationary, check hardware.

Also, may not be of any use to you, or you're probably already familiar with the concept, but if you need to add multiple traces ("overlays") to a map, usually just additional sheets of clear plastic the same size as the map are used, draw a cross on top of a set of grid lines, mark the grid numbers next to the cross, easy to line up. If you need to do somthing similiar with drawings, maybe just hash marks in the corners of the drawing border.

In Gagetown maps can be laminated at the print shop in J-7.  Not sure what the equivalent out your way would be.

Although, if you are planning on folding them a lot mactac is the way to go.

I picked some up at Canadian tire a few years ago.
Found in the kitchen shelf lining area.

GnyHwy said:
In Gagetown maps can be laminated at the print shop in J-7.  Not sure what the equivalent out your way would be.

Although, if you are planning on folding them a lot mactac is the way to go.

Ditto ..Go to 12 Wing Image Shop under FLog Supply. They will help you out, Ted.

GnyHwy said:

Although, if you are planning on folding them a lot, mactac is the way to go.

Exactly.  The laminated products from the print shops do not stand up well to being folded.  Often if there is no, or not enough, border to provide a seal, they will become susceptible to moisture.

George Wallace said:
Exactly.  The laminated products from the print shops do not stand up well to being folded.  Often if there is no, or not enough, border to provide a seal, they will become susceptible to moisture.

That is why I cut my map into smaller boxes.. then laminate them. The plastic laminate acts as a "joint".  Just not to big of a gap. Don't want to throw the grids out of whack. Plus when you make these joints, you can fold the map way easier.  Make them fit your Orders book or your pant leg pocket. Just an idea I've done a few times.

Regards,
Macey

As for mactac Ted.. the local Dollar Store carries it. Drop by my shop and we"ll chat.

Back