• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What do you guys think of the talk of this new ' peacekeeping force'?

I am thinking of this on the CSS side...

Our job doesn't really change regardless of which combat arms they support. So training pers for peacekeeper brigede on the CSS side of the house would not / should not change the training standard of those MOCs....A supply tech is a supply tech regardless if he supports JTF or 3rd Tinkerbell Sqn.

If we were to make this work...cause after all our job is to make impossible govt demands work....I don't believe the standards of MOC training would drop(any more then they already have), but it would be a rotation of capable pers from other units for a total in unit time of 3-5 yrs.

My thinking is that instead of standing up some "peacekeeping" Brigade, we should reorganize our CS/CSS into packet units that can be modularized for different mission requirments such as disaster relief/homeland defence, humanitarian/Peacekeeping Ops, support in low intensity operations, or conflict entry in high intensity operations.   My understanding is that alot of the CS/CSS trades are really overstretched due to the smaller numbers of them and a universal requirement (Cook is coming to mind right now).   Perhaps, instead of a new Brigade, we need to better fill out current requirements for force support assets?

Peace support operations require more in the way of Cbt Sp, CSS, & engineering than do war operations.  Our current brigades are manned for war fighting.  This is why we are short of those pers.

General Krulak (USMC) promoted the idea of a 3 Block War and to be effective on today's battlefield the soldier/Marine needs to ready to encounter on any city block

1.  Humanitarian Assistance,  whether facilitating aid organizations or the distribution of food and water to local population
the next block
2.  Peacekeeping, Peace Enforcement Stability Operations,  to be able to communicate in the Native language to settle dispute and to enforce the terms of a cease fire
and the final block the same soldier/Marine needs to
3. be able to engage the enemy in combat operations,

From my experience from students at the U of M and my co-workers, friends in Winnipeg, Canadians do not see a need for a military, and the only time they believe our military should be used is when it is approved by the United Nations.

So maybe that is why the Liberals are labelling it as a Peacekeeping Brigade???  But if the Army can get another Brigade, it seems like good news, but I really believe that before we add more troops, we really need to man the battalions and ships that we have already have and properly fund equipment maintenance,,,

If something were to happen and the government decided to send in a battle group, how long would it take for us to deploy.
Do we even have the lift capability to send a battle group somewhere?

I think I read somewhere that it will take about ten years to reach the increase in 5000 troops because there will be a major surge of retirements in the near future.

We need resigning bonuses to keep experience in.  Why should we only offer free money to new recruits comming in the botom while we allow ourselves to bleed from the top & middle.

I hope you mean re-sign.  We already did the resigning bonus thing, didn't we (FRP)?

Back