• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.

I found that most US combat units had patches out the wazoo.  I think my favourite was an OEF patch for 'Team America World Police' with a big mean looking eagle head.  I thought about designing a patch for our unit... but the logistics of it just wasn't something i wanted to deal with right now.  However in my ebay huntings I found a disgusting number of patches that would make pretty cool unit type items.  I'd suggest having a look on ebay for ideas if you're out of your own.  There's patches that can be bulk bought... or just simple symbols that you could adapt and turn into your own.  I mean i'm in Weapons Det and our call sign is 33 Whiskey so we all got Jack Daniels patches.  Nothing super creative.  But I like it.  I think my favourites though are the 'fun'/'suck' meter patches. 

Good2Golf said:
I think the way the guy is kitted out and conducted himself would be more of an indicator than a patch...you know, Tac Vest or chest rig with mags, frags, M203s, drop pouches, good barrel discipline, etc... 
and what of functions beyond just being a rifleman or being a cook?  Troop movements, rotations, and intentions can be given away if a recce party can be identified as being a specific BG rifle company, the PRT FP Coy, Combat Engineers, etc.  Yes, equipment does do a lot to give a way who a soldier is.  However, not every combat engineer carries a metal detector & individual weapons are the same as infantry (C7, LMG, M203, etc).  This means it is possible for unusual concentrations of other occupations may go unnoticed if they are not advertising themselves.

When we go flying operational, all badges come off.....

Theres a reason for that folks

Just a quick question regarding the last post.For infantry units/front line combat arms why do we take off identification?Ive been told to remove my name,rank,and canadian flag on a recce patrol.Then told what to say if captured....the information that I had taken off.

X-mo-1979 said:
Just a quick question regarding the last post.For infantry units/front line combat arms why do we take off identification?Ive been told to remove my name,rank,and canadian flag on a recce patrol.Then told what to say if captured....the information that I had taken off.

You aren't supposed to go out and get captured, but if you do, you give them the requisite information.  If you are not captured, only observed or perhaps KIA, then you have no identifying markings to let the enemy know who you are and who you are with.  Simple enough explanation?

Jorge,
On ops last year, in fact we were instructed to wear National insignia as well as rank. However there were notable exceptions to the rule...

R4 has a TF wide rule that says no patches are auth other than IR can flag, IR square patch, and ISAF. However, I see COMKAF HQ Patches and PRT patches all the time. If you wanted one made, I'd get them done, and keep them in your pocket as a keepsake, then put it in a frame with other collectables.

Back