• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wars you were unaware of

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
For something different, post here for Wars you have come across that you were unaware ever happened. For me it was the Polish-Soviet War Feb 1919 until March 1921.

Ex-Dragoon said:
For something different, post here for Wars you have come across that you were unaware ever happened. For me it was the Polish-Soviet War Feb 1919 until March 1921.

My mother tells me she never read any war history when I was in the womb, so I am going to list "all of them."

That whole WW II thing freaked me out when I heard about it, though.

I agree with Micheal Dorosh. It iS kind of a faulty premesis, no?

I think a better starting off point would perhaps be "Wars which you are familiar with, and were pivotal points in history, yet no one seems to have ever heard of them".

The point is to discuss wars you have come across by other research or whatever and sxclaiming"Wow I never knew that occured".

Do you think the war sparked a lot of fear in Russia of further Polish invasions in the future?

I think it helped set the stage for the Soviet Invasion of Poland at the start of WW2.

So really, the WW2 invasion of Poland was really just pre-emptive self defence for the Russians, hmm?

I know this is technically part of WWII but the invasion of the Aleutian Islands by the Japanese in 1942. What a brutal place to fight a campaign. Read the history in "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.. The mistakes made by the Japanese in this campaign could have cost them the war, even though we never hear about it (well I didn't know about it anyways).

Britney Spears said:
So really, the WW2 invasion of Poland was really just pre-emptive self defence for the Russians, hmm?

Well the russian have always regarded their threats from the West so why not? Those Polish Lancers could take out a T34 with ease :D

This is a list of wars compiled by Wikipedia. Don't know how complete this is, as Wikipedia is created by people who use it. Helpful in that it's devided by period of time, countries, etc. Has external links + images. Very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars

Also- slightly off topic, but Wikipedia has a list of conflicts Canada has been involved in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Canada

The War of the Thousand Days (1899-1902)--Civil war in Colombia between the Liberal Party and the ruling Conservative Party. Begins October 18, 1899 with an uprising in the north-eastern Santander region in response to government imposition of martial law throughout the nation.  

and ..

The war against the Vietnamese guerillas that France actually won after a 30 year fight:   De Tham Guerrilla Resistance War.

My all time favorite war that I know absolutely nothing about: the war between France and the USA in 1798-1800. Where was it fought, what was it fought over, who was the victor [of any]??  And, where were the Naval battl;es fought in this war? What side did the British support?  

Cheers.

Britney Spears said:
I agree with Micheal Dorosh. It iS kind of a faulty premesis, no?

I don't know what's worse, spelling my name wrong or inventing words out of whole cloth.  Anyone ever tell you that you type like an infantryman?

How does the civil war in Poland in the 1920s relate to the Soviet invasion of 1939?  

whiskey601 said:
My all time favorite war that I know absolutely nothing about: the war between France and the USA in 1798-1800. Where was it fought, what was it fought over, who was the victor [of any]??  And, where were the Naval battl;es fought in this war? What side did the British support?  

Ask a silly question... and you get a Quasi War:
The Quasi-War was an undeclared war fought entirely at sea between the United States and France from 1798 to 1800.

The pirates of the Mediterranean Sea caused the U.S. Congress in 1794 to begin building a navy for the protection of commerce. Shortly thereafter, depredations by the privateers of Revolutionary France required the US Navy to protect the expanding merchant shipping of the United States. Naval squadrons sought out and attacked enemy privateers until France agreed to an honorable settlement.

The Quasi-War started on July 7, 1798 when the United States Congress rescinded treaties with France.

Captain Thomas Truxtun's insistence on the highest standards of crew training paid handsome dividends as the frigate Constellation won two victories over French men-of-war. Eight cutters (one sloop, five schooners, and two brigs) operated along the southern coast of the United States and among the islands of the West Indies. The two brigs and two of the schooners each carried 14 guns and 70 men. The sloop and the other schooners each had ten guns and 34 men. Of the twenty-two prizes captured by the United States between 1798 and 1799, eighteen were taken by unaided cutters. Revenue cutters also assisted in capturing two others. The cutter Pickering made two cruises to the West Indies and captured ten prizes, one of which carried 44 guns and was manned by some 200 sailors, more than three times Pickering's strength.

The Quasi-War was ended by the Convention of 1800 (Treaty of Mortefontaine).

whiskey601 said:
The cutter Pickering made two cruises to the West Indies and captured ten prizes, one of which carried 44 guns and was manned by some 200 sailors, more than three times Pickering's strength.

Did this become the USS Chesapeake?

Britney Spears said:
Point taken Michael, I always had trouble with that damned "Premises".   :)

You still look great in a minskirt, baby. ;)

But seriously, I thought the USSR were more trying to put up a buffer between them and Germany - see the Baltic states that year also.  Did they really still have axes to grind vis a vis 1919-1921?

Feral said:
I know this is technically part of WWII but the invasion of the Aleutian Islands by the Japanese in 1942. What a brutal place to fight a campaign. Read the history in "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.. The mistakes made by the Japanese in this campaign could have cost them the war, even though we never hear about it (well I didn't know about it anyways).

Oddly enough, the island of Kiska in the Aleutians was recaptured by elements of the First Special Serivce Force (aka the Devil's Brigade for movie buffs). 

MM

medicineman said:
Oddly enough, the island of Kiska in the Aleutians was recaptured by elements of the First Special Serivce Force (aka the Devil's Brigade for movie buffs).  

MM

What's the odd part?

Canadian draftees were also sent into combat here; though the Japanese did not oblige by running away.  Since it was North American soil, the government got around their pledge of not sending draftees into action "overseas" - which they skirted after the referendum in 1944 anyway.

Nothing too odd, other than it was one of the few times Canadian land forces saw action in the Pacific theatre - Hong Kong being the other noteable one.

MM

Back