• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want to join Army Cadets........

• Thread starter Thread starter Ross Cadet
  • Start date Start date
R

Ross Cadet

Hi, i think i‘m gonna join army cadets, but I don‘t know much about it.
I want to know what is involved, what you get to do, what to avoid and what to ask for.

Also, what rifles do you get to shoot??? :soldier:

Thanks for replying!

I hear you get to shoot the C7 on semi?
I also heard you get to shoot the Lee Enfield?

Are these true?

Thanks for any info!

you do get to fire the c7 on semi automatic, (once you are 16 years old or in silver star, or you do a CLI course in the summer)
and you do also get to fire the lee enfield .22 and .303

c7 fam firing are becoming rarer,
as for lee enfield firing, isn‘t it being phased out as well to air daisy;s

I believe that the .303 Lee Enfield is used onlu in CLI Drill and Ceremonial and only with blank rounds, I‘ve never heard of people shooting it live. C7s are fired at every CLI course I believe. For more info on the program visit www.cadets.net

i‘ve done D&C at blackdown u do get to shoot the .22 on parade during sundet,and final parade in that time you‘ll get alot of pratice...Basic (2 weeks) shoot the Dasiy! CL (6 weeks) gets to shoot the .22 and the CLI (6weeks) gets to shoot the C7 with LIVE ammo

At my corps we fire both the leeanfield .22 version and the Daisy Air rifles.

patty,

you did not get to shoot the Lee Enfield no.7 .22calibre on sunset, you fired the Lee Enfield no. 4 .303 Calibre. the .22‘s are not loud enough to use in a feu de joie.

oops my bad lol, i really hated it cuz they used the oil on the wood of them at final parade and it stained my shirt

the daisy 853-C air rifle is a magnificent weapon for use in cadets. it is excellent to teach new cadets firing procedures, weapons maintenance, and all the marksmanship principles that go along with it. On top of all of that it is a very safe weapon, therefore if a new cadet screws up on his first time on the range, and actually shoots somebody by accident, it wont cause much damage(unless someone isnt wearing proper eye defenders). The daisy shoots very accurately for its specified range, it is very easy to clean, and maintain. Cadet810, maybe you should review why it is you dont like the "air daisys" and possibly list some of those reasons here.

Originally posted by leopard11:
the daisy 853-C air rifle is a magnificent weapon for use in cadets. it is excellent to teach new cadets firing procedures, weapons maintenance, and all the marksmanship principles that go along with it. On top of all of that it is a very safe weapon, therefore if a new cadet screws up on his first time on the range, and actually shoots somebody by accident, it wont cause much damage(unless someone isnt wearing proper eye defenders). The daisy shoots very accurately for its specified range, it is very easy to clean, and maintain. Cadet810, maybe you should review why it is you dont like the "air daisys" and possibly list some of those reasons here.
Excellent post leopard11. Teaching marksmanship on the 853C is MUCH easier than it was with the C No. 7. For starters, the Daisy is half the weight of the No. 7, with none of the noise and several times greater accuracy. I would even put it above any of the Anschutz variants issued at one time to cadets "back in the day." My biggest complaint with the Daisy is it‘s lousy creepy trigger and so-so sights. All that aside, I rate it as a top notch training rifle.

For those cadets who complain it‘s not a "real gun," I say grow up and be glad you still have the ability to learn to shoot at all -- there was a real possibility in the mid-1990s that marksmanship would disappear altogether. Cooler heads prevailed against the anti-gun hysteria, however, and the decision was made to shift to air rifles. This move has greatly increased overall participation in marksmanship training in all three elements right across the country.

And there‘s always summer camp. . . .

First things first. Are you all sniffing glue? The Daisy is apiece poo I‘ve ever had to coach with on the ranges. So much so I dumped it and went with the No 7 Enfield. As for Leopard11 comment"therefore if a new cadet screws up on his first time on the range, and actually shoots somebody by accident, it wont cause much damage" are you for real? If you let a cadet actually get to the point where he/she is able to do this YOU should be shot! I don‘t know where you guys are getting your info, but it isn‘t from YEARS of experience with coaching cadets on ranges. As for the weight of the C-7 I get the troops to use C-8s instead at the 100m mark, grouping of 8inches max. Anything outside don‘t count. As for accuracy, if you know how to sight in and confirm the MPI of the C-7 you can‘t compare it to a BB gun. Sorry to say it, but the Daisy is NOT a good training aid for shooting. I‘ve seen it a thousand times where the CIC coddle the cadets and then finally after YEARS of playing with a BB gun they finally get to shoot a real weapon. They flinch, get horrible groupings because they are AFRAID of the weapon. I‘ve even had one MALE cadet(sgt) CRY because he was afraid.
BB guns are for scouts not for cadets. We are trying to teach and instill some pride and confidence in the young troops, not scare the poo out of them:eek:

As for the idea of the wusses getting the whole firearms out of cadets, it wasn‘t that close. I know the director of the League at that time and he assured me that it was mostly a RUMOR that got way out of hand based loosely on some bad info. :rolleyes:

BTW..my cadets have shot the 303 Lee Enfield(known by it‘s designation) No.4. They will be firing it this year as well. Of course it with the guidelines, but you all know that. :p

Wannabe....sign up and have a great time. I had the time of my life when I joined(83) and never regretted it. Got qualified so much that I had it easy when I joined up in militia. Now I‘m in the Regs...still instructing cadets and having a blast. Do you know what corps you‘ll be joining?
Oh well...just remember to have fun and listen to the RSM :salute:

Now on to...

Jason....Anschutz less accurate than a Daisy? Who are you kidding. If it was that bad, why are they in professional tournaments all over the world? Back in the day was what, 1988? Do you even rememberthe FN C1A1? Probably not. Have you ever shot CFSAC or competed for Bisley? No don‘t answer. I have the lists from the past 15 years.

Please guys...if you‘re going to give out advise and your wisdom, get it right. Don‘t mislead chaps that want to join up with something that someone else spouted off. I‘m not here to attack anyone by any means. I just have heard this so much that it just makes this tanker(yes, a REAL tanker) mad.

Cheers

I get the troops to use C-8s instead at the 100m mark, grouping of 8inches max

Are C8‘s that inaccurate? I‘ve never fired one. I tell my guys at 100 meters int he prone they should have atleast 3 out of 5 rounds inside a single square patch and thats average.

Thanks you guys, I will take your advice.
I‘m joining the North Vancouver corp.
If I like cadets, I‘ll join the army, (Which i plan on doing anyway)

Jason....Anschutz less accurate than a Daisy? Who are you kidding. If it was that bad, why are they in professional tournaments all over the world? Back in the day was what, 1988? Do you even rememberthe FN C1A1? Probably not. Have you ever shot CFSAC or competed for Bisley? No don‘t answer. I have the lists from the past 15 years.
Oh brother. I‘m a civilian smallbore shooter, Franko, and I started shooting in air cadets 15 years ago. I‘m not CIC because I‘m a V6/CV3 and so the CF doesn‘t want me. No, I‘ve never shot the FN C1A1. Never been to CFSAC or Bisley either. I hold an SFC Expert prone rating, and until my son was born in 2000 was averaging 582 at 20 yds and 50 m. I‘ve gotten a little rusty since then but have been able to hold my own. Until my son is a little older, I‘m focusing on coaching. If you want pound chests, PM me.

But I have put more than a few thousand rounds downrange through a C No. 7, ditto for the previously-issued Anschutz 1403, and am in the process of trying to wring the most usefulness out of the 853C. So far, and despite everything I‘d heard about the rifle, I‘m finding the 853C to be a success. With the current issue Crosman pellets, the dozen or so 853Cs that I‘ve shot have all been capable of punching 10 mm (edge to edge) groups at 10 m, which is more than adequate for training and competition purposes.

Cadets were never issued world-class Anschutz rifles, they were issued the Match 64 action 1403, an accurate but only beginner to intermediate level rifle. When fired with issue CIL or T22 ammo, and in the hands of a competent shooter, it was consistently capable of 96-98 on the old DND 20 yd target. If you got a batch of ammo that was especially good, you might‘ve been able to shoot the odd century, but they were few and far in between. When shot with Tenex -- as they were at the cadet smallbore nationals from 1990-92 (when I was there) -- then scores in the 97-99 range were common among the top five shooters, and several 100s were shot each year. This won‘t hold a candle to my Anschutz 1413 with its heavy Match 54 action, barrel and 200 g trigger, which at 30 years of age will still punch little-bitty holes at 50 m all day.

Finally, there‘s always an adjustment to be made when moving from one rifle to another. I have a cadet who just started shooting the 853C in September and who transitioned to a 1403 for biathlon with no problems whatsoever. Her position is good, focus is excellent and accuracy consistent with very few flyers. Now, if she‘d just shoot -- and ski -- a little faster, she might be a threat. Smallbore to fullbore is another matter altogether, and one that I‘m not qualified to comment on. However, I certainly wouldn‘t let one of my cadets go from an air rifle to a C7 -- and especially not an FN -- without first learning how to properly and accurately shoot a .22 LR (even if it was just the No. 7).

But the 853C is still better than nothing, and I‘m going to squeeze every last drop out of every single one that comes my way.

I am certain you will enjoy the Cadet experience Wannabe, don‘t let this off topic, banter cloud your vision of cadets, it was, is and always will be a great organization, whether it‘s Army, Air or Sea. The friendships you will make, will last a lifetime. I was an Air cadet over 20 years ago, and I still maintain links, with a number of people from those days. In fact I liked it so much I have once again returned to assist the local Army Cadet Corps. There is a lot of fun to be had, but it will also take a lot of discipline, and work on your part to get the most out of it. Take Care.

Originally posted by Ghost778:
[qb]

Are C8‘s that inaccurate? I‘ve never fired one. I tell my guys at 100 meters int he prone they should have atleast 3 out of 5 rounds inside a single square patch and thats average. [/qb]
No they are very accurate. Most times its the cadet themselve who do poorly, due mostly to nerves and self imposed stress.

Back