• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vietnam Hero to be Awarded Medal of Honor

strange i thought i was reading this and now off to watch it till i am ready to fall asleep, have to love my satelight dish tv .

tomahawk6 said:
It was interesting that Crandall and three of his pilots were Engineer's. In those days aviation was wide open to combat arms officers maybe even the combat support branches if memory serves me. Now aviation has its own branch.
not all that surprising in actual fact.
when baloons were added to the military's inventory of resources in the Civil war, it was an engineer responsibility... ditto in the UK.
Engineers are frequently called upon to study and develop new resources... It's what we do.

Yep - the Royal Engineers had the first signal sections (telegraphy during the Crimean War of 1854 - 1856) that blossomed into the Royal Signals (British army)

the baloon battalions and kite sections joined with the Royal Flying Corps to become the RAF

The Ordnance Survey (mapping) was formed from the RE

the RE started the first postal service

the RE were the first military divers and underwater explosives experts

Sappers designed the Royal Albert Hall and Pentonville Prison and were closely involved with the buildings for the Great exhibition of 1851 and the museums in South Kensington, London.

The RE had the first searchlight units before handing them over to the Royal Artillery

Back