• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vancouver Olympics

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
What do you think about cost to the CF for security at the 2010 games in Vancouver?  How will it effect operations?

What are we deploying?
Who are we deploying?
How much will it the support cost?
Are we talking about full or incremental costs?
What portion will come directly from the DND budget?
What cost recovery mechanisms will be in place?
What will actually be the net cost to DND?

Michael O'Leary said:
In all likelyhood.....

What are we deploying?
Who are we deploying?    Lots
How much will it the support cost?     Lots

Are we talking about full or incremental costs? As much as the governments can hide

What portion will come directly from the DND budget?  Probably most...National Security youknow

What cost recovery mechanisms will be in place?  probably none

What will actually be the net cost to DND? Will we ever really know...they need to recover seats in BC
  :D

Ill work for free....as long as I get tickets to the hockey games!!!

This looks like the perfect role for Reservists to allow the government to test our worth for domestic deployments.

Winnipeg....Operation Charging Bison
Vancouver...Operation  ?   (have fun kiddies!!)

Winnipeg....Operation Charging Bison
Vancouver...Operation  ?  (have fun kiddies!!)

Operation Snatch Gold?

Lost_Warrior said:
This looks like the perfect role for Reservists to allow the government to test our worth for domestic deployments.

+2
I'm an Infantry reservist and this looks like a cool job .. I hope I get to be on TV.  :threat:

Sounds to me like your more worried about LCF and TV then getting the job done.  This is a serious operation and will require serious professionals.

nova_flush said:
+2
I'm an Infantry reservist and this looks like a cool job .. I hope I get to be on TV.  :threat:

I'll be overhead watching........and laughing !!

::)

This sounds fairly cool, will it just be Reg. Force?
I didn't realize a governments army usually provided security for the Olympics.

My dad did security for the '76 olympics when he was a young troop. He said he had a blast, but thats about as much as I got out of him. Hmmmmm I wonder what he's not telling me hehe..... >:D

Wow, that would be a sweet gig! ;D

Lost_Warrior said:

I'm with Lost_Warrior on this one.  If not all reservists, at least a good percentage should go (65?).

As a Res Inf Cpl I was in TF2 (2 CMBG) for OPGAMESCAN at the 76 Olympics. Our job was to guard the TF2 HQ facility, located at th Sigs/RCE armoury on the edge of Westmount. IIRC, most of the direct protection of athletes and events was done by LEAs and national security detalis from home countries. The CF provided a wide range of general support, special capabilities, and a QRF capability. Our training at Pet included sticks and shields and use of the hand-pump type CS sprayer, along with the usual rangework, etc. Once we deployed to Montreal, the HQ troops were quartered in the Marymount High School in Cote-des-Neiges. We worked twelve hour shifts, but when we were off it was great: it was summer in Montreal and we had money and free transit passes. I loved it.

Cheers

"This sounds fairly cool, will it just be Reg. Force?
I didn't realize a governments army usually provided security for the Olympics."

Guess you missed Sept 11 and the last two Olympics. Most of the security is done by the host countries forces and police forces.

Back