• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Economy

When I was working up in the Shamattawa Reserve we would run the hot water and be able to light a lighter beside the faucet and have it burn as long as the water was running....this was natural Methane gas coming out of the permafrost . At one point we discussed a capture method with some engineers surveying the lagoon, and actually roughed out a capture process for heating.....nothing ever came of it.....

And on another note:
:)

barackobama.com

Friend --

Earlier today, a whole bunch of us who have already made a donation to the 2012 campaign decided something.

We decided we're ready to give for a second or third time -- if and only if you're willing to make your first donation to the campaign right now.

Your gift will be matched by a real person. You'll be able to see their name and town, and even exchange a message with them. Right now there are thousands of folks willing to match whatever amount you decide to give.

You'll have double the impact if you decide to make your first donation of $5 or more to the 2012 campaign now.

How about it?

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-june-match-matchees-nd?match_campaign_id=22&source=20110601_jm_nd1

And with the inspiring Republican slate lined up against him, I don't want to sound cocky, but he's practically going to coast to the finish.

Baden  Guy said:
And on another note:
:)

barackobama.com

Friend --

Earlier today, a whole bunch of us who have already made a donation to the 2012 campaign decided something.

We decided we're ready to give for a second or third time -- if and only if you're willing to make your first donation to the campaign right now.

Your gift will be matched by a real person. You'll be able to see their name and town, and even exchange a message with them. Right now there are thousands of folks willing to match whatever amount you decide to give.

You'll have double the impact if you decide to make your first donation of $5 or more to the 2012 campaign now.

How about it?

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-june-match-matchees-nd?match_campaign_id=22&source=20110601_jm_nd1

Redeye said:
And with the inspiring Republican slate lined up against him, I don't want to sound cocky, but he's practically going to coast to the finish.

I'm not so sure. Americans seem, to me, to be highly disapproving of him. It's not that his approval rating is so low, others have been lower, but his negatives are reported (CNN, most recently) to be very, very high ... so high that no politicians with similar numbers has been re-elected.

I'm afraid that The Republicans will have trouble finding an attractive candidate, not least because sane men and women are unwilling to participate in a "race" that is being refereed by Sarah Palin even as she plays from an offside position. But, while the race is Obama's to lose, he might just manage that feat.

By the way, the same caution applies to Canadians politics: another Comnservagtive majority is far from a sure thing; ditto another 100 75 50 seat NDP showing and another <40 seat Liberal result.

They appear - at least in their media - to be highly polarized, but at the same time I think the Democrats will get a whole lot of mileage out of the fact that while the economy has not roared back to life as strongly as they might have hoped, the GOP has failed not only to do anything about it - but to even try.  Most of their efforts in the House of Representatives have either been Quixotic attacks on healthcare reform, or attacks on reproductive freedom and access to healthcare.  That is something that will likely show up in advertisings when the time comes.  Additionally, the ongoing squabble about the (utterly pointless, IMHO) debt ceiling is getting traction.

I have to agree, the GOP is going to be in trouble when it comes to candidates.  You've got the likely unelectable Mitt Romney, the non-politician Herman Cain (whose problems include an absolutely insane fiscal policy and no grasp whatsoever of foreign policy), the ignorant lunatic twins in Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, and well, that's pretty much it it looks like at this point.  None of them are particularly attractive.

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm not so sure. Americans seem, to me, to be highly disapproving of him. It's not that his approval rating is so low, others have been lower, but his negatives are reported (CNN, most recently) to be very, very high ... so high that no politicians with similar numbers has been re-elected.

I'm afraid that The Republicans will have trouble finding an attractive candidate, not least because sane men and women are unwilling to participate in a "race" that is being refereed by Sarah Palin even as she plays from an offside position. But, while the race is Obama's to lose, he might just manage that feat.

By the way, the same caution applies to Canadians politics: another Comnservagtive majority is far from a sure thing; ditto another 100 75 50 seat NDP showing and another <40 seat Liberal result.

Redeye said:
They appear - at least in their media - to be highly polarized, but at the same time I think the Democrats will get a whole lot of mileage out of the fact that while the economy has not roared back to life as strongly as they might have hoped, the GOP has failed not only to do anything about it - but to even try.  Most of their efforts in the House of Representatives have either been Quixotic attacks on healthcare reform, or attacks on reproductive freedom and access to healthcare.  That is something that will likely show up in advertisings when the time comes.  Additionally, the ongoing squabble about the (utterly pointless, IMHO) debt ceiling is getting traction.

I have to agree, the GOP is going to be in trouble when it comes to candidates.  You've got the likely unelectable Mitt Romney, the non-politician Herman Cain (whose problems include an absolutely insane fiscal policy and no grasp whatsoever of foreign policy), the ignorant lunatic twins in Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, and well, that's pretty much it it looks like at this point.  None of them are particularly attractive.

We, Canadians, need to put the blame for the failing grade of the American economy where it belongs: on about 95% of Americans, be they Democrats, Republicans, Tea-Partiers or Independents, who all want the budget balanced provided only that their interest, be it the Pentagon or Obamacare or tax increases (or cuts) are not touched.

Democrats are equally, arguably more, fiscally irresponsible than Republicans and the denizens of the Tea Party. But very, very few Americans can claim any degree of fiscal responsibility.

But we shall hear Canadians scream louder than Americans when the government is cut - as it must be - and when, finally, the Canada Health Act is revised to allow for multi-tiered health care

If we needed it, here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is further proof that the US political professionals are bent on driving the sound, sane people out of Washington, presumably to make way for the assortment of village idiots, like Palin and Limbaugh, who clutter up the horizon:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/daily-mix/fed-nomination-fight-a-new-low-in-partisan-politics/article2048730/
[szie=14pt]Fed nomination fight a new low in partisan politics[/size]

KEVIN CARMICHAEL

WASHINGTON

Posted on Monday, June 6, 2011

As omens go, this isn’t a good one.

Peter Diamond, the Nobel laureate in economics that President Barack Obama first nominated 14 months ago to fill an opening on the Federal Reserve Board, is giving up in the face of Republican stubbornness.

Mr. Diamond, an economics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who was awarded a Nobel Prize last year for his work on labour markets, was blocked on three occasions from receiving a Senate vote on his nomination. “It is time for me to withdraw, as I plan to inform the White House,” Mr. Diamond wrote in an opinion article published Sunday by The New York Times.

This is a low point in the petty partisanship that has characterized Washington since the November mid-term elections. There apparently is no sacred ground in the war between the current standard bearers of the Democratic and Republican parties.

The Republicans’ refusal to allow Mr. Diamond to join the Fed represents political encroachment on the independence of the central bank -- a demonstration of muscle flexing that can only intimidate chairman Ben Bernanke and the other members of the Fed.

There is another reason to worry. More than simply a slap to the face of the White House, the opposition to Mr. Diamond’s nomination also is the most visible example of a war against expertise. To be sure, economic gurus deserve a comeuppance for missing the financial crisis. But who would the insurgents against intellectual arrogance appoint to contribute to monetary policy at time of high unemployment, if not an individual who has devoted his career to the study of unemployment?

Richard Shelby, the ranking Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, was the leader of the stand against Mr. Diamond. His reasons for doing so tested the bounds of credibility. He said Mr. Diamond had no experience in monetary policy, and no experience in dealing with crises. Mr. Diamond’s lack of direct experience with monetary policy was a bonus: the Fed is loaded with monetary theorists. What Mr. Diamond brought is exceptional expertise on what Fed policy is supposed to influence: the jobless rate. As for Mr. Diamond’s limited experience with financial crises, that could have been an argument against any number of previous Fed chairmen. Unfortunately, fire fighting tends to be a skill learned on the job.

Mr. Diamond isn’t going down quietly. His New York Times article raises serious questions about the U.S.’s confirmation process, and the public’s poor grasp on monetary policy – at least as displayed through their representatives on Capitol Hill.

“To the public, the Washington debate is often about more versus less – in both spending and regulation,” Mr. Diamond wrote in the Times. “There is too little public awareness of the real consequences of some of these decisions. In reality, we need more spending on some programs and less spending on others, and we need more good regulations and fewer bad ones.

“Analytical expertise is needed to accomplish this, to make government more effective and efficient. Skilled analytical thinking should not be drowned out by mistaken, ideologically driven views that more is always better or less is always better.”

The US is shooting itself in the foot - apparently intentionally, as the culture wars rage on over issues, like abortion and gay marriage, that have neither moral nor political importance for either side but which serve to rally the faithful for endless, pointless political and social divisons sub-divisions.

E.R. Campbell said:
If we needed it, here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is further proof that the US political professionals are bent on driving the sound, sane people out of Washington, presumably to make way for the assortment of village idiots, like Palin and Limbaugh, who clutter up the horizon:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/daily-mix/fed-nomination-fight-a-new-low-in-partisan-politics/article2048730/

The US is shooting itself in the foot - apparently intentionally, as the culture wars rage on over issues, like abortion and gay marriage, that have neither moral nor political importance for either side but which serve to rally the faithful for endless, pointless political and social divisons sub-divisions.

There is no better description I've seen yet than your last paragraph.

It's getting more ridiculous now that the Republicans are trying to decide who they will choose to lose to Barack Obama next year (and given the crop, there should be little challenge in that task).  I'm particularly enjoying both the laughable ignorance of Sarah Palin (I'm Canadian, and even I know the story of Paul Revere's Midnight Ride), and the kooks coming out as candidates.

They keep going on about the US economic recovery hinging on business having "certainty" about taxes etc.  How do they not?  Taxes are going to rise.  That's a certainty, that's basic economics, they have to.  Regulations on things like the financial sector are a certainty.  Now that the fog is clear, get on with business.

A liberal commentator who was interviewed on CNN this morning hit the nail on the head.  It doesn't serve the GOP's interests to do anything to positively impact the US economy right now, because that will only make Obama stronger.  People need to realize that, and demand better.

While I am surprised that the US allows Congress/Senate to vet Central Bank appointments I do have a problem with the concept of allowing "experts" into decision making positions.

Experts are marvellous advisors.  But I don't believe it necessarily follows that they should be placed in decision-making capacities.  Often they are so wrapped up in their own specialty that they are unable to understand the implications their decisions have on the rest of the system.    The may make the best decision possible to, in this case, reduce unemployment, but concurrently and as an unintended consequence, cause great harm to some other aspect of the economy.  This is not an unknown phenomenon here in Canada......

More numbers:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-job-market-far-worse-than-it-appears/?print=1

The Job Market: Far Worse Than It Appears
Posted By Tom Blumer On June 6, 2011 @ 12:05 am In Culture,Elections 2012,History,Politics,US News,economy | 32 Comments

The familiar items in the government’s Employment Situation Summary [1] on Friday were bad enough:

The unemployment rate increased for the second straight month, this time to a seasonally adjusted 9.1% [2].
The seasonally adjusted number of workers employed increased by only 54,000. After taking prior-month downward revisions into account, only 15,000 more Americans were working in May than were working in April.
Both numbers were “unexpectedly” [3] poor, even after prognosticators had two days’ warning to downwardly adjust their estimates courtesy of payroll giant ADP, whose employment report [4] on Wednesday showed only 38,000 seasonally adjusted private-sector jobs added.

If you think that’s bad, wait until you see the real numbers.

What? Yes, I’m redundantly telling you that the numbers routinely reported out of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) do not represent what actually happened in any given month, because they, as already noted, are seasonally adjusted.

To be clear, I’m not accusing BLS of cooking the books, and there’s nothing wrong with seasonally adjusting data. Doing so is a time-honored statistical technique for smoothing out information which fluctuates throughout the year. From all appearances, the methodology BLS uses [5] to generate its seasonally adjusted data is statistically valid and has been consistently applied. In my view, despite the limited value of seasonally adjusted data in the current economic environment, I don’t want the bunch currently in the White House to get anywhere near the idea of revising how things are done (and no, I don’t believe they’ve had a chance to corrupt the process yet, though it could be a second-term agenda item).

In normal times, it’s usually acceptable for data users to stick with seasonally adjusted (SA) information while avoiding the adventure of delving into and analyzing the raw, not seasonally adjusted (NSA) stuff. But these are not normal times. We’re at the three-year point of the POR (Pelosi-Obama-Reid) economy [6], an appellation I applied in early July 2008, when I recognized that the economy was fundamentally changing, and not for the better. In abnormal times such as these, you cannot be sure that the SA data adequately reflects what’s happening in the raw NSA information.

The following chart showing NSA and SA job additions and losses in the month of May during the past 11 years, both overall and in the private sector, will demonstrate the raw data’s current importance:

Going all the way back to 1955, May has been a month when net employer hires have been positive, usually by a large amount. Heavy-hiring months like March, April, and May make up for ones like January and July, when the workforce usually significantly contracts.

This year’s figure for overall May 2011 job additions may look almost acceptable at first, but it really isn’t. Except for May 2008, the eve of the POR economy, and May 2009, near the end of the recession, the May 2011 figure is the lowest on the list — during what is supposed to be a recovery. May 2011 is probably still worse than May 2010 even after reducing last year’s figure by roughly 400,000 census workers. Does anyone remember the economy being great in May last year? I didn’t think so.

Something got lost in this year’s (and, for that matter, last year’s) seasonal translation. It’s quite logical to ask how 682,000 NSA jobs can turn into 54,000 SA jobs, when in 2008, 112,000 fewer NSA jobs (682K minus 570K) generated 287,000 fewer SA jobs (the difference between +54K and -233K) and a huge net job loss. Also note that 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2006 all had higher actual NSA job growth that still resulted in lower SA job additions than May 2011.

The problem is that the May 2008 and especially the May 2009 raw values, which were so out of whack compared to previous years, were by design (again, validly per the BLS’s methodology) given significant weight in this year’s seasonal adjustment process. The reality remains, however, that this year’s May NSA number is, with one tiny exception in 1991, worse than every other May between 1982 and 2007.

Similarly, May 2011′s NSA figure of 723,000 generated seasonally adjusted private-sector additions of 83,000, even though May 2007 had 202,000 more NSA jobs (925K minus 723K) but only a barely higher 111,000 after seasonal adjustment. Though the raw private-sector figure for May 2011 is more impressive than its total economy counterpart, it’s still less than every year from 2003 through 2007 — years during which the establishment press was always telling us what a mediocre economy we were supposedly enduring.

It should be clear that if the economy in May 2007 had generated the raw overall and private-sector job additions seen in May 2011, both seasonally adjusted results would have been negative. Thanks to looking past the statistically valid but distracting seasonal adjustments and diving into the raw data, we see that May 2011′s results were far worse than reported. In the 23rd month after the recession ended, despite the obvious availability of millions of unemployed workers, the economy has suddenly gone to generating jobs at a rate that is nowhere near what occurred during 2003 through 2007.

With stubbornly high gas prices [7], over-regulation, crippling uncertainty [8], and an administration indifferent and often hostile [9] towards job growth, it’s hard to see things getting much better in the near term. Yet the establishment press won’t let go of the idea that we’re still in an economic recovery. My question remains the same as it was in early 2010: “Rebound? What Rebound? [10]“

Article printed from Pajamas Media: http://pajamasmedia.com

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-job-market-far-worse-than-it-appears/

URLs in this post:

[1] Employment Situation Summary: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
[2] a seasonally adjusted 9.1%: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.a.htm
[3] “unexpectedly”: http://www.moneynews.com/Economy/us-economy-jobs-unemployment/2011/06/03/id/398730
[4] whose employment report: http://adpemploymentreport.com/
[5] the methodology BLS uses: http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cesseasadj.htm
[6] the POR (Pelosi-Obama-Reid) economy: http://www.bizzyblog.com/2008/07/03/the-pelosi-obama-reid-recession-porr-may-have-begun/
[7] high gas prices: http://pajamasmedia.com/eddriscoll/2011/04/21/obamaphenia-2/
[8] crippling uncertainty: http://pajamasmedia.com/eddriscoll/2011/05/27/theres-a-reason-why-its-called-the-forgotten-man/
[9] often hostile: http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/121822/
[10] Rebound? What Rebound?: http://www.bizzyblog.com/2010/01/02/rebound-rebound/

The most damning thing that can be said in the 2012 election will be to simply replay the promises of TARP, QE II and other Keynsian economic voodoo to keep unemployment from rising above 8%. Note too that these numbers exclude huge numbers of Americans who have given up searching for jobs (but are still unemployed) and there are also large numbers of Americans who are unwillingly working part time or otherwise underemployed. Added to the 9.1% official unemployment rate and you have real trouble.

An excellent summation of on the current political state in the US:

This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers here or use the "Reprints" tool that appears next to any article. Visit www.nytreprints.com for samples and additional information. Order a reprint of this article now.

June 13, 2011
Pundit Under Protest
By DAVID BROOKS
I’ll be writing a lot about the presidential election over the next 16 months, but at the outset I would just like to remark that I’m opining on this whole campaign under protest. I’m registering a protest because for someone of my Hamiltonian/National Greatness perspective, the two parties contesting this election are unusually pathetic. Their programs are unusually unimaginative. Their policies are unusually incommensurate to the problem at hand.

This election is about how to avert national decline. All other issues flow from that anxiety.

The election is happening during a downturn in the economic cycle, but the core issue is the accumulation of deeper structural problems that this recession has exposed — unsustainable levels of debt, an inability to generate middle-class incomes, a dysfunctional political system, the steady growth of special-interest sinecures and the gradual loss of national vitality.

The number of business start-ups per capita has been falling steadily for the past three decades. Workers’ share of national income has been declining since 1983. Male wages have been stagnant for about 40 years. The American working class — those without a college degree — is being decimated, economically and socially. In 1960, for example, 83 percent of those in the working class were married. Now only 48 percent are.

Voters are certainly aware of the scope of the challenges before them. Their pessimism and anxiety does not just reflect the ebb and flow of the business cycle, but is deeper and more pervasive. Trust in institutions is at historic lows. Large majorities think the country is on the wrong track, and have for years. Large pluralities believe their children will have fewer opportunities than they do.

Voters are in the market for new movements and new combinations, yet the two parties have grown more rigid.

The Republican growth agenda — tax cuts and nothing else — is stupefyingly boring, fiscally irresponsible and politically impossible. Gigantic tax cuts — if they were affordable — might boost overall growth, but they would do nothing to address the structural problems that are causing a working-class crisis.

Republican politicians don’t design policies to meet specific needs, or even to help their own working-class voters. They use policies as signaling devices — as ways to reassure the base that they are 100 percent orthodox and rigidly loyal. Republicans have taken a pragmatic policy proposal from 1980 and sanctified it as their core purity test for 2012.

As for the Democrats, they offer practically nothing. They acknowledge huge problems like wage stagnation and then offer... light rail! Solar panels! It was telling that the Democrats offered no budget this year, even though they are supposedly running the country. That’s because they too are trapped in a bygone era.

Mentally, they are living in the era of affluence, but, actually, they are living in the era of austerity. They still have these grand spending ideas, but there is no longer any money to pay for them and there won’t be for decades. Democrats dream New Deal dreams, propose nothing and try to win elections by making sure nobody ever touches Medicare.

Covering this upcoming election is like covering a competition between two Soviet refrigerator companies, cold-war relics offering products that never change.

If there were a Hamiltonian Party, it would be offering a multifaceted reinvigoration agenda. It would grab growth ideas from all spots on the political spectrum and blend them together. Its program would be based on the essential political logic: If you want to get anything passed, you have to offer an intertwined package that smashes the Big Government vs. Small Government orthodoxies and gives everybody something they want.

This reinvigoration package would have four baskets. There would be an entitlement reform package designed to redistribute money from health care and the elderly toward innovation and the young. Unless we get health care inflation under control by replacing the perverse fee-for-service incentive structure, there will be no money for anything else.

There would be a targeted working-class basket: early childhood education, technical education, community colleges, an infrastructure bank, asset distribution to help people start businesses, a new wave industrial policy if need be — anything that might give the working class a leg up.

There would be a political corruption basket. The Tea Parties are right about the unholy alliance between business and government that is polluting the country. It’s time to drain the swamp by simplifying the tax code and streamlining the regulations businesses use to squash their smaller competitors.

There would also be a pro-business basket: lower corporate rates, a sane visa policy for skilled immigrants, a sane patent and permitting system, more money for research.

The Hamiltonian agenda would be pro-market, in its place, and pro-government, in its place. In 2012, on the other hand, we’re going to see another clash of the same old categories. I’ll be covering it, but I protest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/opinion/14brooks.html?hp

Some grounds for optimism (a small step in the right direction anyway):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/the-optimistic-debt-scenario/2011/03/29/AGztf4XH_blog.html

The optimistic debt scenario
By Jennifer Rubin

The Democrats began the year demanding more domestic spending and tax hikes. President Obama talked about it in his State of the Union address. His budget reflect those positions. And in his attack on Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) he reiterated those goals. Now debt-ceiling talks are progressing, according to multiple sources, with very substantial cuts, Medicare reform and hard spending caps contemplated. Moreover, Democrats are now talking about a payroll tax cut. How’d we get from there to here?

There were five critical steps after the 2010 election. First, the Senate held its ground and rejected the omnibus spending bill. Second, in a temporary and then a final vote on the continuing resolution for the 2011 budget Democrats agreed to more cuts, breaking the backs of those arguing for more spending (“stimulus”). Third, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) set down a marker: Every dollar the debt ceiling is raised requires a dollar in cuts. Fourth, Sen. Mitch McConnell (R- Ky.) made clear again this week that there will be no tax hikes. Fifth, Republicans generally did not flinch when the Democrats went on their Medicare scare campaign.

So now the question is how much to cut and can we work in some tax cuts before Congress gets to overall tax reform. Remarkable, isn’t it?

Sources with knowledge of the debt-ceiling talks confirm several points. First, the talks do absolutely include Medicare reform. You can’t get serious cuts and real budget reduction without it (especially since GOP leaders have ruled out tax hikes). All that energy put into scaring seniors and vilifying Ryan may be for naught. Once Obama and the Democrats agree to cuts ( it’ll be “reforms” or “steps to strengthen”) in Medicare, that issue — sorry, lefty bloggers — would come off the table.

Second, the notion that there is some Gang of Six or Five or whatever that can push through tax hikes (as recommended by the debt commission) was once again shown to be a fantasy. In a tussle over the elimination of the ethanol tax credit (which would expire at the end of the year anyway), Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) at various points suggested Republicans were all on record for having voted to increase taxes (eliminate a tax credit). But with help from Sen. Jim DeMint and McConnell, that turns out to be untrue, as DeMint will be given a vote on his amendment to offset the elimination of the ethanol tax credit as well as to eliminate the ethanol mandate (which forces gas companies to use the stuff). The bottom line: Rather than establishing a “precedent” for tax hikes, the maneuvers confirmed that Republicans stand firmly in favor of no net tax hikes. Democrats have been told by every critical GOP voice (McConnell, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Sen. Jon Kyl and the speaker) that there will be no tax hike. Period.

Third, there will come a time (unless the talks collapse) when conservatives in the House and Senate will have to decide if the great becomes the enemy of the perfect. The package won’t be as big as some want (which is always bigger than it is). It in all likelihood won’t include the balanced-budget amendment (Democrats oppose that in the same way Republicans oppose tax hikes), although there will be a bevy of real spending restraints. But it will be a giant step in the right direction, all the more impressive because Republicans control only the House.

That’s the optimistic version. Or, the talks could collapse, we could suffer a technical default and the markets could freak.

This, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is a dangerous escalation:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/top-republican-quits-us-budget-talks-as-debt-ceiling-deadline-looms/article2072424/
Top Republican quits U.S. budget talks, as debt-ceiling deadline looms

ANDREW TAYLOR

WASHINGTON— The Associated Press

Published Thursday, Jun. 23, 2011

Majority Leader Eric Cantor said Thursday that Democratic demands that some tax increases be paired with the spending cuts have brought U.S. budget negotiations led by Vice-President Joe Biden to an impasse. Mr. Cantor said he’s pulling out of the talks.

The Virginia Republican said in a statement that the Republican-dominated House simply won’t support tax increases and that he won’t be participating in a meeting scheduled for Thursday. Mr. Cantor said that it’s time for President Barack Obama to weigh in directly on the budget because Democrats insist on negotiating some tax increases.

Mr. Cantor said that plenty of progress has been made in identifying trillions of dollars in potential spending cuts to accompany legislation to raise the $14.3-trillion cap on the government’s ability to borrow money. Passage of the legislation this summer is necessary to meet the government’s obligations to holders of U.S. Treasuries. The alternative is a market-shaking, first-ever default on U.S. obligations.

Mr. Cantor said that once the tax issue is solved, negotiators could quickly seal agreement.

“It is time for the president to speak clearly and resolve this tax issue,” Mr. Cantor said. “Once resolved, we have a blueprint to move forward to trillions of spending cuts and binding mechanisms to change the way things are done around here.”

The Biden-led group has been meeting since early May, trying to come up with areas of agreement on curbing a budget deficit that’s requiring the government to borrow more than 40 cents of every dollar it spends. Areas of tentative agreement include trimming farm subsidies, auctioning electromagnetic spectrum to communications companies, and cutting student loan subsidies.

But with Republicans unwilling to accept some higher taxes – even in the wake of a sweeping Senate vote to eliminate the ethanol tax subsidy – Democrats were unwilling to agree to tougher steps like curbing Medicare and Medicaid.

All along, it was anticipated that the Biden group would only be able to get so far and that the toughest decisions, such as taxes and cuts to federal health care programs, would be kicked upstairs to Mr. Obama and House Speaker John Boehner. That duo sealed agreement in April on legislation to fund the government through the end of September.

There are only five-and-a-half weeks remaining until an Aug. 2 deadline for enacting an increase in the nation’s debt limit to prevent a U.S. default. Economists warn that could damage the nation’s credit rating and force the government to pay higher interest rates to continue to borrow the $125-billion a month it needs to finance its operations.

But increasing the borrowing cap is a politically poisonous vote for lawmakers, especially the tea party-backed Republicans controlling the House. Even while there’s agreement between Mr. Obama and top congressional leaders that the debt cap simply has to be raised, a majority of the public – especially core conservative GOP supporters – says the debt limit shouldn’t be lifted.

Let me be clear: the United States is, already, a deadbeat. It has been since May, some accounting tricks have been used to delay the final, deadly phase: default.

Everyone with the brains the gods gave to green peppers knows that the US must make massive spending cuts to entitlements and to the Pentagon, too, and there must be tax increases – ideally a national value added tax à la Canada's HST. The political problem in the US is that Obama wants the US Congress to share the blame for any and all tax increases and the Republicans want to lay all the blame at Obama's feet. With the election campaign sputtering to life that matters.

There are, to be sure, some people who oppose all tax increases but they all failed Economics 101 – even the ones with PhDs in Economics.

This matters to Canada because we hold a huge amount of the US debt – not as much, in absolute terms, as China but, proportionately, more, I think than anyone else. When, if, the US formally defaults we will take a real beating.

Q: What's the difference between the Boy Scouts and the United States of America?
A: The Boy Scouts have adult leadership.

E.R. Campbell said:
....the US must make massive spending cuts to entitlements and to the Pentagon, too, and there must be tax increases ...

It will be interesting to see the impact of the withdrawal of the "World's Policeman" from the street corner.  Will the rest of the world come to understand the value of such an entity? Will they set up an alternative UN Police Force ( I can't hold my breath that long)?  Will they hire the US Military to continue doing the job they are doing and thus improve the US balance of payments?  Or will we come to love the freedom known as anarchy and head back to the great days of the VOC, the HEIC and the HBC when your employer guaranteed your security?  (And how far removed from accepting the Queen's Shilling is accepting the HBC's Shilling?)

Stay tuned.....

Kirkhill said:
It will be interesting to see the impact of the withdrawal of the "World's Policeman" from the street corner.  Will the rest of the world come to understand the value of such an entity? Will they set up an alternative UN Police Force ( I can't hold my breath that long)?  Will they hire the US Military to continue doing the job they are doing and thus improve the US balance of payments?  Or will we come to love the freedom known as anarchy and head back to the great days of the VOC, the HEIC and the HBC when your employer guaranteed your security?  (And how far removed from accepting the Queen's Shilling is accepting the HBC's Shilling?)

Stay tuned.....

That's a really good point. At a very conservative estimate the US pays something like $250 Billion (more than 10 times Canada's total defence spending or four time's the UK's total defence spending) on being the "world's policeman," that is to say providing security to other countries - including Canada and Europe and Japan and, and and ...

China will want to move to "police" parts of East Asia and India may want to "help" in South West Asia - to threaten Pakistan, China's (sometime) friend, but no one will want to pick up all or even most of the pieces.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen, is more about some of the global impacts when, not if, the USA must reduce and retreat:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/America+turns+away+from+world/4996358/story.html
America turns away from the world

By DAVID VAN PRAAGH

The Ottawa Citizen June 24, 2011

If Osama bin Laden were still alive, the al-Qaeda leader would likely be pleased by U.S. President Barack Obama’s televised address June 22 on winding down the war in Afghanistan. Obama’s timetable reflects far more than what to do about the conflict in Central Asia growing out of the Islamist terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001. It is the most striking indicator yet of the “isolationism” that Senator John McCain warns is reappearing in American politics and, indeed, culture.

The Arizona Republican who lost to Obama in the 2008 presidential election was talking about the field of GOP candidates competing to take on the president in the next election in November 2012. He was referring to the isolationism of the right that has periodically afflicted U.S. history. But isolationism of the left is alive and well among so-called liberal Democrats who would be ecstatic if all 100,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan left tomorrow.

Canadians share in renascent isolationism. All 3,000 Canadian combat troops in Afghanistan will be out in July, leaving only a small training mission. Following his winning a parliamentary majority, Prime Minister Stephen Harper missed an opportunity to show that Canada looks outward by extending the combat mission for as long as it was needed in the key Kandahar area. Moreover, Canadians whose idea of the Afghanistan war consists mostly of allegations that Canadian troops turned over suspected Taliban detainees to Afghan authorities who tortured them, had another kick at the can with the latest unsatisfactory report.

In December 2009, to great fanfare, President Obama announced that 30,000 U.S. troops would join the 70,000 already in Afghanistan.

Many of these troops reinforced the Canadians in Kandahar. But at the same time, the president said U.S. troops would start withdrawing in July 2011.

Then, and now, he rejected appeals by generals waging the war — and winning it — for 40,000 new troops in 2010, and for limiting cuts now to 5,000 or less. Instead, Obama has ordered 10,000 troops out by the end of this year, and another 23,000 out by September 2012. And he has reiterated that 2014 will see the end of U.S. boots on the rugged Afghan ground.

What emerges from this numbers game is a goal that is more political than military. It’s no secret that Vice President Joe Biden, who has long opposed the war in Afghanistan, has Obama’s ear more than do U.S. generals. Clearly, the most important goal is a major retreat in the fall of 2012 — the same time, as it happens, a besieged President Obama appeals to voters for a second four-year term.

What is most disturbing about this selective vision — accompanied, naturally, by the Obamian dream of a world without wars — is that it overlooks or pushes aside some unpleasant realities. If U.S. and NATO forces leave Afghanistan too soon, the Taliban will take over much of the country, even against improved Afghan security forces. The Taliban are a proxy for Pakistan, whose generals are bent on controlling Afghanistan as a threat to India.

Pakistan is a proxy for China, whose tyrannical leaders are eager to cast a shadow over all Central Asia and South Asia. Nuclear missiles are the weapons of choice of both Pakistan and China.

How often is it necessary to recall that Afghanistan is the pivot of Asia?

When the Soviets were forced to leave after invading Afghanistan, their whole empire soon collapsed. One crucial difference is that most Afghans, especially women, welcome Americans, Canadians and other allies not as conquerors but as liberators from religious extremists. Combined with mismanagement of the NATO mission in Libya — due at bottom to Obama’s refusal to recognize the United States as an “exceptional” nation — hasty withdrawal from Afghanistan would cause great damage to both the United States and NATO.

Late in the nearly lost Second World War, U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt declared: “And so we are going to win the war, and we’re going to win the peace that follows.” Nearly three generations later, we are in danger of losing the worldwide war for freedom, and if we do, bigger wars than the one in Afghanistan will follow.

David Van Praagh, a former Asia correspondent who has covered Afghanistan, is the author of The Greater Game: India’s Race with Destiny and China. He is a professor of journalism at Carleton University.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

At the risk of repeating myself: failing to solve its long term, structural, fiscal problems is national suicide for the USA, and while I may think that too many American legislators, including President Obama, are too long of partisan politics and too short on intellect and strategic vision, I doubt they want to destroy America. To avoid destroying America politicians must, sooner rather than later:

1. Cut spending on entitlements (Social Security, Medicare, etc) - a move which is opposed by 85%+ of Americans;

2. Cut defence spending - a move which is also opposed by most Americans; and

3. Raise taxes - another move which is opposed by about ⅔ of Americans.

Two out of three will not work - America must and will make a strategic withdrawal and will, once again, embrace isolationism for, at least, a generation.

Van Praag is right - that move will sow the seeds for more, bigger and dirtier wars. China will not be willing, not until some long time after 2050, I think, or able to take up the mantle of the world's policeman.

Edit: deleted repeated words

E.R. Campbell said:

Two out of three will not work - America must and will make a strategic withdrawal and will, once again, embrace isolationism for, at least, a generation.

Van Praag is right - that move will sow the seeds for more, bigger and dirtier wars. China will not be willing, not until some long time after 2050, I think, be willing or able to take up the mantle of the world's policeman.

Sorry ERC but that may be the only dimly bright light in your recital.  I believe I would rather have a world ungoverned than one governed by "The Red Dynasty".

The only other realistic contender is the Anglosphere nations acting in concert, raising Canada, Australia and India to the front ranks of the world's nations (and perhaps honouraries like Japan and the Netherlands also raising their profiles as well).

We will live in interesting times

I'm not sure the Anglosphere, or even an Anglosphere+, is willing or able, either. Britain is broke, too. India has some global strategic ambitions but it, like China, is focused on its home region, and is likely to remain so for a generation or more.

I'm wondering if the US would be interested in privatizing some services - like strategic sea and air lift and (stocked) supply depots - and allowing them to be used by some 'clients' who are conducting approved missions. (Approved by whom? The UNSC?) It would lower O&M costs - which are always greater than capital and bring in a small, one-time capital infusion and it would keep people on someone's payroll.

Back