• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army M110 Sniper Rifle Video

I think you may have been better off had you checked your ATTITUDE at the door.  You may find yourself back on the way out that door if you don't sort it our soon.

Just some friendly advice right now, as your ATTITUDE has been noted and it hasn't given you the credibility that you think it has.  Your ATTITUDE has in fact given us all the opposite impression and we will not put up with it much longer.  Calling us morons doesn't help your case, especially when you are addressing weapons experts and others who have very extensive familiarity with weapons.  You may be advised to read the Rules of Conduct for this site again and familiarize yourself on how this site operates.  Your next steps will be up the WARNING SYSTEM.

George
Army.ca Staff

Well I heard from a "friend" in the "JTF NINJASNIPER Department" that the PSG1 is a piece of crap rifle that failed pretty much every cold weather and harsh enviroment testing done to it. It looks pretty on the ange and on a roof top in the city, but once you take it to the mud and crud of the battlefield it will seize up. The PSG1 was never intended to leave the city, it is a police /anti terrorist marksman rifle, not a combat weapon....just say'n.
  In my experience with the SR25 and Psg1 both suppressed and not both will not shoot consistantly as a bolt gun such as the PGWTI T-wolf,USMC M40A3/A4 , or a good M24SWS, even I'm sad to say the Accuraccy International AWP held it's own vs the Psg1, of course the shooter has alot to do with it but on average the PSG1 was second place to one or more of these rifles.

DesertVengeance said:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_firearms_rifle_m21.php

morons. 

the M14s are still fairly widely issued... but LIKE I SAID.  Some unit still have M21s and some shooters still prefer them.

they still use them in sniper schools as well.

I love how you just sort of pick and choose elements of what i wrote to support your pre-dispositions about me. 

So I suppose you've never learned anything from an article?  You only learn things first hand... cuz you guys are in REAL soldiers. 

Like I said before (which is becoming a recurring theme)  I know some things first hand (limited but when i go to the states I take full advantage of the pletheura of firing ranges) some things passed on from friends with first hand knowledge... other things passed on from friends who've had information disseminated to them.

But since you guys are so much smarter i'm sure you'll find some way to try and discredit what i'm saying.

anyways I found this was a decent review of the M110
http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,146717,00.html

In any case... while the M110 does look like it's come out ahead... something about it just doesn't sit well with me.  Then again if i had a choice i'd be humping this around.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_PSG1

::)

MG34 gave you some pretty good advice on the PSG1 -- back in the early 1990's Hk wanted 5k to replace a BARREL on the PSG1 - they go south around the 5k mark, and give the sticker shock, accuracy issues, poor reliability its not a great gun for people in green. 

I'm futher willing to bet you've never set foot in Iraq, thus your reporting old wives tales.  I've also shot both the M24 and the M110 (and Mk11 series) - so I'm willing to bet that that gives me 3/3 more experience than you on this issue (Iraq, M24 and Mk11/M110).

As for your firing range experience in the US - big whipty fricken do.  I certainly hope you don't think your alone in people who train in the US as well.  Like anything knowledge (practical knowledge) is imparted by doing -- there are a lot of good shooters on both sides of the border who shoot KD range stuff -- however their is a big difference in operations shooting and the requirements thereof. 
  I've shot some sweet AMU done M14NM guns -- however its a one day 100rds gun -- after that it needs to be rebedded and rebuilt by an AMU armorer.

But then again - I'm just a moron...

Sorry to sidetrack for a second.  But I know the PSG-1 and even the MSG-90 were meant for Law enforcement, There is pretty much nothing to argue there.  But in terms of semi automatic sniper rifles, is it not one of, if not the most accurate?  (My knowledge of this rifle is a few years old, forgive me).  I know being the most accurate of a bunch of semi auto rifles may not be saying much, But is my information incorrect, no matter how outdated?

Even in German use you will see the GSG-9 using it, but never (from the limited knowledge I have) the KSK.  Totally different requirements, totally different environments.

(Edited for deeply saddening mistakes...like a missing word, a random quotation mark :o.  I think I'm gunna cry now...)

PSG-1 WAS one of the most accurate semi-auto's back when the M14 and M21 where the benchmark for an autoloader...

The SR25 (C. Reed Knight II and Eugene Stoner) proved that a sub minute semi auto was an option.

Okey dokey.  So we're talking the eighties then.
Entered service around or during 1985, no?  Kinda puts things into prespective.  For some reason I keep thinking it is more recent.

I haven't heard much about the SR25 (besides this thread).  But of course, I am not in the military or law enforcement circles.  So could you tell me what you mean by "sub minute"?
Would that be the accuracy of the rifle, as in, less than 1 MOA?  Excuse my ignorance.

Rgr on the sub moa discription...

SR-25 has had teathing issues like anything else - a unit had some NCO's return in person a few of the early guns in the 90's.  SASS showed the AR10 and other platforms are eons behind the KAC guns.

Interesting.
So after the years of refinement, it seems like the Army went the right way with the XM110.

Natural progression I suppose though, since the Navy and Marines have it.  If it was a bad weapon I guess the first branch to get it would be the example showing the others why not to adopt it.

Keep in mind I was accused of being a KAC shill when I was in the CF...  The fact KAC gave us a number or parts for free was ignored

The early guns with the 24" barrels offered nothing more than the 20" barrel in the terms of accuracy and ballistics (of course the CF choses a 24" AR10T barrel due to the fact it effectively ruled out the KAC gun, and some other internal pork barrel politicing...)  My KAC guns shoot rings around my AR10T(and the KAC mags also work - WOW)

The fact is KAC learned a lot of cold hard lessons with the SR-25 early guns - lessons several companies are still (Armalite) refusing to accept.  Its not that the AR10T is a piece of shit - its just a good 10 years behind the curve.  DPMS have fragile barrel nuts and other parts issues - and they went with the KAC mag as they wanted hassle free issues (maybe the junk internals should have been fixed too)

I wont say the M110 is god's gift to the system.  7.62mm gas guns cannot be run like their 5.56mm brother  - they are better off for spotter and PL DM guns - with people who will have a higher round count going with a good 5.56mm DM gun like the USMC's SAM-R, or USSOC's Mk12 (SPR) - or even the 16" Mk12 Recce rifles (a personal fav).

Hk417 should be interesting - and if KAC unrolls the upscale PDW monolithic platforms it will also add another variable.

Back