• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unifarm idears from Back to Basics

I always wondered where they got that design.....so....................new patterns are from cross-breeding different cadpat trees, with willows, beech, etc.?  :nod:

How about this then!

Privates start out festooned with ribbons, shoulder boards and dozens of medals. 
As one progresses in rank and time in, ones uniform becomes simplified.  If one makes it to CRA they get to come to work in shorts, tee shirt and sandals. ;D

Loachman said:
Maybe he wants all Med Techs to undergo gender reassignment.

If I was told to wear a Royal Blue beret, I'd almost consider it - to wear the skirt to go with it...oh yeah, I'm off the hook, since the CFHS won't cover the surgery anymore.

MM

GAP said:
I always wondered where they got that design.....so....................new patterns are from cross-breeding different cadpat trees, with willows, beech, etc.?  :nod:

Exactly, the unifarm is a wonderful whimsical place where CTS is free to skip and frolic to it's hearts content.

eurowing said:
How about this then!

Privates start out festooned with ribbons, shoulder boards and dozens of medals. 
As one progresses in rank and time in, ones uniform becomes simplified.  If one makes it to CRA they get to come to work in shorts, tee shirt and sandals. ;D
I like it, although it is going to give the Sergeants Major fits in determining who is entitled to wear what.  Also, no spandex.

Although not having to do really with the uniform I will say maybe the army and AF could use a different term for a 1 hook private like the Navy does in using Ordinary Seaman and Able Seaman.

For what possible reason, we have been using Private for a long time.  Most countries use the term.  What would you have us use?

dangerboy said:
For what possible reason, we have been using Private for a long time. 
I think he means to differentiate between a no-hook Pte and one-hook Pte......as though FNG and Numpty aren't good enough  ;D

Journeyman yes I meant to differentiate no hook from 1 hook, I don't see how difficult it would be since the Navy already does it.  A tad bit odd, since we technically have a rank/appointment equivalent for each one in between elements, yet AF and army never bothered to get on same footing.

Danjanou said:
Maybe he wants Amy (whomever she is) to wear the beret?  And that shows how seriously I'm taking this thread.  ::)

Why am I getting a beret? I'm just a Army wife, not even a member of the CF....  ;D

I could have posted this in the "Funnies" thread, but after this comment:

R031button said:
Exactly, the unifarm is a wonderful whimsical place where CTS is free to skip and frolic to it's hearts content.

it just had to go here.    :nod:

b2d30757-9381-4698-995f-1cae80682036.jpg

;D

Biggoals2bdone said:
Although not having to do really with the uniform I will say maybe the army and AF could use a different term for a 1 hook private like the Navy does in using Ordinary Seaman and Able Seaman.

Even more confusing for you poor landlubbers: We used to do the reverse of what you do on land:

You have  no-hookers and  one-hookers sharing the same rank name (private) even though wearing different rank badge.

In the old RCN, we had two rank designations (three before the elimination of Boys Seaman in 1949), Ordinary  Seaman (then referred to as O.D.s ) and Able Seaman (then referred to as A.B.'s) who shared the same uniform that carried no rank identifier at all. So while on land you could tell by looking at the sleeves of the uniforms if you are dealing with a Private (recruit)  or a Private (trained), in the Navy, you could not tell if you were dealing with an O.D. or an A.B., save for the fact that we just knew who was who.

For personal edification of those who are interested: The abbreviations come from the following: O.D.: Ordinary Duty Seaman; A.B.: Able Bodied Seaman. 

Biggoals2bdone said:

We have that already. Authorized alternatives, including but not limited to "Sapper" "Gunner" and a few others.

It's typically neglected in favor of clarity. The artillery are the only ones who get uppity about it.

The Air Force had LAC (Leading Aircraftsman) and the Army had LCpl (Lance Corporal).  The Army still refers to Lance Jacks as those having one hook.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Even more confusing for you poor landlubbers: We used to do the reverse of what you do on land:

You have  no-hookers and  one-hookers sharing the same rank name (private) even though wearing different rank badge.

In the old RCN, we had two rank designations (three before the elimination of Boys Seaman in 1949), Ordinary  Seaman (then referred to as O.D.s ) and Able Seaman (then referred to as A.B.'s) who shared the same uniform that carried no rank identifier at all. So while on land you could tell by looking at the sleeves of the uniforms if you are dealing with a Private (recruit)  or a Private (trained), in the Navy, you could not tell if you were dealing with an O.D. or an A.B., save for the fact that we just knew who was who.

For personal edification of those who are interested: The abbreviations come from the following: O.D.: Ordinary Duty Seaman; A.B.: Able Bodied Seaman.

To make it even more complicated, the chevrons sailors wore denoted years of good conduct (GC), not rank.  Thus, an RCN  petty officer first class with two chevrons outranked an RCAF sergeant with three, yet the sailors "GCs" were worn on the sleeve in the same location as the sergeant's rank chevrons.  The petty officer's actual badge of rank was the crossed anchors with a crown worn above and in conjunction with the chevrons.  Then there was also the phenomenon of the "three badge AB."  This was an able seaman who had three GCs (i.e. three chevrons), but was at the same rank level as the trained army private and was outranked by an army corporal with two chevrons or by the petty officer with only one or two GCs.

1 GC = at least 3 yrs
2 GC = at least 8 yrs
3 GC = at least 13 yrs

CPOs did not wear GCs

As for what to call the one-hook private, the old Canadian Army called them lance corporals and the RCAF called them leading aircraftsmen (although instead of a chevron, they used a two-bladed propeller).

Actually a lance corporal (LCpl) (or lance bombardier (LBdr)) was different from an AB or the air force LAC. The equivalent to those ranks was the Private, Trained, Higher Rate which did not have a rank badge.

Lance Corporal was an appointment. The CO was authorized to appoint 12.5 % of his privates to LCpl. These troops then wore one hook and joined the corporals mess. There also was a jump in pay. This was used to develop young soldiers and was the first step on the ladder of promotion. As this method was not used by the other services, it did not survive integration.

I believe Edward was a lance corporal, while I was given the choice of putting up a hook or going on officer training.

Pusser said:
[...]  Thus, an RCN  petty officer first class with two chevrons outranked an RCAF sergeant with three, [...]

Actually Pusser, you are even confusing yourself: CPOs and  PO1's wore the "fore and aft - three rows" (as opposed to the officers "fore and aft - four rows") and did not as a result wear the GC's (only worn on the "square rig"). This of course only happened after 1949, when the RCN rank structure was brought in line with the army and airforce one. Before that there was only one rank of Petty Officer and one rank of Chief Petty Officer and only the CPO wore the "fore and aft".

Happy centennial everyone !

Back