• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Armed Forces Veterans Lapel Badge

dodger39 said:
Raven 22, We were talking about the Returned From Active Service Badge being numbered, not the ACB. My ACB is not numbered but my RAS is. 
I thought it was rather strange when it was said the RAS weren't numbered now, so I checked a bit further. The people who manufacture and supply   the Returned from Active Service Badge to the Dept of Defense are
Cash's (aust)Pty Ltd  at their
Frankston Metals Factory
17 Tooyal St
Frankston VIC 3199

I phoned them and asked if they were numbered and was told by their production manager that each Returned from Active Service Badge is individually numbered in numerical sequence.

None of the RAS badges from the SECDET 10 rotation to Iraq (Sep 06 - Mar 07) were numbered. See my attached pics of my issued RAS badge. This was commented on many times as many who had looked at the new badges, had been to Timor L'este had numbred ones. The RAS badge is noted on my PM Keys Operational Service print out, along with an approval number, similar to that of my medals.

On the reverse of the badge it says as exactly as follows - all in caps, not being rude   ;D " ISSUED BY THE C'WLTH GOV'T", with "AMOR SYDNEY" in the centre.  The scan is fuzzy as the pins are in the way so the focus is obscured a bit.

Regards,

OWDU

EDIT: These badges we recieved were not made in Melbourne. I am happy to see the RAS badges serialised again, as it looks like many of us are stuck with unnumbered ones, but as I stated, they are on our PM Keys print outs with reference number, which if think is the same as the AASAM's or the ICM's, can't remember, but will look into the PM Keys 'self serve' when I return to work on the 12th.

Sorry mate, was having a blonde moment. Now loaded.

According to the AWM, AMOR P/L out of Sydney has made RAS badges since 1920.

Their current address:

Amor Badge Co Pty Ltd
7 Unwins Bridge Road
St Peters, NSW 2044
(02) 9519 0782‎
(02) 9519 0784‎
(02) 9519 0785‎ - Fax

Have a squizz here, its the old WW1 type http://cas.awm.gov.au/heraldry/REL30389

Here's some Cash's info on the RAS if you can find it in this file. Looks like they too have the contact for $15,026.00 worth of of them from Jun 08 - Sep 08 anyways?? Who knows. http://209.85.175.132/search?q=cache:L7wtyG7hPfcJ:https://www.tenders.gov.au/%3Fevent%3Dpublic.reports.CN.Published.download%26dateType%3DPublish%2520Date%26categorySearchCode%3D49000000%26AgencyUUID%3D%26submitCriteria%3DDisplay%2520Results%26decorator%3DCSV+returned+from+active+service+cash%27s+p/l&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au

Cheers,

Wes

EDITed with more info.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Sorry mate, was having a blonde moment. Now loaded.

Cheers,

Wes
Well we all have them at one time or another.

The name of the company I quoted (Cashs) had the contract up to Sept this year. The supply of medals badges etc are put up for tender periodically. It's quite possible (going by the fact you say yours wasn't made in Melbourne) that another company had the contract and quite possibly they stuffed up.

Like you, I am pleased to see they are being numbered again (as per Ravens statement). Being unnumbered in my opinion makes it easier for them wannabies to pretend they are something they are not. The ACB being unnumbered is the same. The shop where I get my medals polished and remounted periodically has both the RAS and the ACB (replicas) for sale.Fortunately, he's ex vietnam and checks anyone very thoroughly brefore he will sell any replicas to them. The first time I went to him, I had to produce documentation to prove I was entitled to wear the medals I had.

Here's some Cash's info on the RAS if you can find it in this file. Looks like they too have the contact for 15,026 of them from Jun 08 - Sep 08 anyways?? Who knows.
Wes, I had already looked at the DVA tenders site previously, that's how I found Cashs name. 
This is part of what the contract tender says

CN ID CN93139
Agency Department of Defence
Publish Date 18-Jun-2008 
Category Collectibles and awards
Contract Period 27-May-2008 to 30-Sep-2008 
Contract Value $15,026.00 
Description MANUFACTURE OF RETURNED FROM ACTIVE SERVICE BADGES TO SERVING, EX/SERVING ADF PERSONNEL

https://www.tenders.gov.au/?event=public.cn.view&cnUUID=99B42106-EF05-E270-F89EFAAA5EBB4904rl

Dodger mate, as requested, here is my original medals with the ACB.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wes, very impressive.
This is my lot, just back from being polished and remounted. Hope they don't dream up anything else to give us. Getting a bit expensive to get them redone again.

Hi Wes, nice rack Bud. Is that the CD there too? i know you told me one time you served in here (Canada).

PS Merry Christmas my friend, from the frozen north.
Your home country is having snow from coast to coast for the first time since 1971. less than 1% of the country is without snow this season, and that's my hometown of St.John's area,  Newfoundland (most likely because of all the stinkin' fog there!)
Here on the north shore of Quebec, we've had snow since early November but nothing for the last 2 weeks - but minus 20 C and below though. Bettin' yer missing that  ;D

xo31@711ret said:
Hi Wes, nice rack Bud. Is that the CD there too? i know you told me one time you served in here (Canada).

PS Merry Christmas my friend, from the frozen north.
Your home country is having snow from coast to coast for the first time since 1971. less than 1% of the country is without snow this season, and that's my hometown of St.John's area,  Newfoundland (most likely because of all the stinkin' fog there!)
Here on the north shore of Quebec, we've had snow since early November but nothing for the last 2 weeks - but minus 20 C and below though. Bettin' yer missing that  ;D

Yes, thats the ole CD  ;)

I was speaking to a mate at Davin, about 45km ESE of Pile O' Bones.

-30 in the shade, and thats without the wind.

+33.8 here today, now about to storm, as the thunderstorms are firing up now. Still time for a swim though.

Merry Christmas,

Wes

From L to R as fol:

AASAM (Australian Army Active Service Medal) w/ Iraq Clasp,
ICM (Iraq Campaign Medal),
ADM (Australian Defence Medal),
Canada 125th Anniversary of Confederation Medal,
Canadian Forces Deocration.

The crossed swords above the medal group is the ACB (Army Combat Badge)

Cheers,

Wes

Back