• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Treasury Bd to Consider CF Amphib Ship Buy

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=7136

"The Canadian navy is drafting a plan to acquire two large amphibious assault ships capable of transporting thousands of troops and dozens of tanks and trucks across the seas.  The idea, which merited a passing reference in last spring's defence policy statement, is expected to go before the federal Treasury Board next year for consideration, said the director of the navy's maritime requirements...."

When do we get the Marines, or the dozens tanks for that matter?  :)

And if/when we get the marines, where do they recruite them from... the Reg infantry?

Big T said:
And if/when we get the marines, where do they recruite them from... the Reg infantry?

It said the San Antonio class require about 300 sailors, is this not about the same number as our Protecteur AORS?

Question:

If the new Joint Support Ships require one half or one third the crew the old replenishment ships do, couldn't the crew savings be used to man San Antonio Class ships?

Sailors would be used to run or "man" the ships, Marines would be the soldiers who go ashore from the ships and do army-ish stuff. It would make more sense to get infantry people to be marines, because all you have to do is teach them how to not barf when the sea gets rough. My making sailors into marines, you'd have to teach them everything that infantry folks already know how to do.

However, they'll probably just put a bunch of soldiers aboard and not even bother with the "marine" title.

All thses tanks, however, is another matter completely...

Sorry, but I'll believe it when the boys are storming the shores of Tripoli.

The best part is during the Federal election debates, the PM kept going on about how Harper was going to buy these "Aircraft Carriers".  Harper was trying to get us support ships with helicopter capabilities.  Funny how a Conservative campaign point that the Liberals tried to shot down is now on the procurement scope while they are in power.

I do wish they would cut the "Assault" crap from the discussion.  As Ex-Dragoon regularly points out about aircraft carriers "assaults" require a whole lot more than just a big boat with a flat deck.  An aircraft carrier itself would be a good starting point, not to mention his much beloved Air Defence Destroyers and Joint Support Ships.

I would be happy enough if there was a transport ship available that could off-load across a secure shore, in secure shallow waters or in a secure minor port (ie one without docks and cranes and stuff).  We are a lonnng way away from contemplating assaults on defended shores.  Just getting to any shore would be a good thing.

Keep in mind the best method of getting ashore in any case is to land where the enemy isn't.  The more places you can land the more places the enemy has to defend and the less the likelihood that you are going to have to challenge them for a specific chunk of real estate.

Normandie was all about landing close enough to deep water ports which could then be secured to allow common freighters to bring in the bulk of supplies.

Dieppe was about seizing a defended port and discovered to be too costly.

Maybe it is just a matter of finding the right terminology.  Let's call it C.S.G.P. (Container Ship, Green Paint)

Observer23 said:
Maybe it is just a matter of finding the right terminology.  Let's call it C.S.G.P. (Container Ship, Green Paint)
I think the terminology current at NDHQ is BHS - "Big Honkin' Ship".

Still can't figure out what is supposed to be done with these things. Are we going to go down south and clobber some poor bastard's private island and carry away his women and booty?  >:D

hamiltongs said:
I think the terminology current at NDHQ is BHS - "Big Honkin' Ship".

How did you find out about that?  That paper was deemed classified!  You have clearly violated the security procedures surrounding the generation of new ABL*.

*Acronym Based Langauge, the exclusive domain of the upper floors of NDHQ.

Mods... over to you!

whiskey601 said:
Still can't figure out what is supposed to be done with these things. Are we going to go down south and clobber some poor *******'s private island and carry away his women and booty?    >:D

Perhaps someone could correct me, but it seems we put global operations ahead of national defence. Amphibious ships and so forth are for foreign encounters.

It would be nice if they could fund replacements of the much more important destroyers, FELEX, and whatever else....nuclear subs would be nice some day. >:D They project force much better than anything we have correct? >:D

This project wont take off anytime soon.They are talking about considering this project next year. By the time they finish considering it  should be another 2 years !!!! and just imagine how long to award a contract  to built it  !!!!!

Daniel H... Nuke subs?.... we have bigger kit problems before we get to work on that.... these amphib ships are expected to provide RORO transport for a battle group going on mission AND cover off the work the Protector/ Preserver provides - replenishes & fuels onr ships at sea..... or did I miss something.

Last I heard - 11 to 13 years from planning to delivery.....

geo said:
Daniel H... Nuke subs?.... we have bigger kit problems before we get to work on that.... these amphib ships are expected to provide RORO transport for a battle group going on mission AND cover off the work the Protector/ Preserver provides - replenishes & fuels onr ships at sea..... or did I miss something.

I was just dreaming out loud...I was referring to the proposed  purchase of San Antonio Class or smaller ships in addition to JSS.

I realize that with the CF"s budget nuclear subs would take up the whole budget probably....

hehe.... yeah.... remember - we've got a green army guy at the top right now.... we're supposed to steal all the money from the blue guys and give the army preferential treatment :)
whups..... no, no... what I meant is that we're using our money and theirs is still at the Mint... ink's not quite dry yet :)

Cheers!

geo said:

Uh, no. The ships proposed in that article are something like an LPD and they most certainly are not RORO. They require landing craft or hovercraft to get the equipment to shore. They're bloody huge and a high value asset, so you won't be seeing them anywhere near the beach. They'll be 12 or so miles off shore where they will launch the landing craft full of crunchies.

The other option that the CDS had his eye on was the LHD's like the USS Bataan that was supporting us on Op Unison.

The JSS wasn't designed as a RORO either and it seems now that the JSS is going to end up being strictly an AOR with some sea lift capability that will require a deep water port to off load the equipment that can't be slung by the BHH's (Big Honkin Helicopters).

Back