• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Travel opportunity in the Forces

Pat in Halifax said:
Agreed!
I was almost the first respondant to this topic but thought better of it. I tried to recall my own true ignorance of (then) CAF operations. Even though I was young when I decided I wanted to join the military, I never really paid attention to 'the news'.
I think the question has been well covered.
As a sailor, I have sailed in:
Every ocean and been to every continent except Antarctica. Not many ports south of the Trop of Cap on the Atlantic side but best "foreign" port (without a doubt) was/is St John's, NL!

Cheers! :cheers:

Kat Stevens said:
Wainwright, Gagetown, Suffield, Shilo, Chilcotin, Dundurn, Eureka, Alert, and other garden spots.

I see you had the nickle tour ;)

;D

Travel in the CF you ask ?

So far, my career has taken me to:

The USA (including multiple trips to Hawaii and multiple trips to the Aleutian islands)
The UK (multiple times)
Germany
Holland
Iceland
Italy ( multiple times to both the mainland and Sicily)
Curacao
El Salvador
Japan
Croatia
Bulgaria
Hungary
Greece
Albania
Kosovo
FYROM
Mexico
Spain

As a direct result of my military service, I have been to:

Ontario
Nova Scotia
British Columbia
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Washington (State)
California
Hawaii
Massachusetts
Florida
Virginia
Puerto Rico
St Thomas
Barbados
Japan
Korea
England
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Norway
Bosnia
Croatia
Haiti
Mexico

While posted to England, I had the chance to take the family on a vacation through Europe, which included:

France
Liechtenstein
Switzerland
Germany
Austria
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Belgium
Scotland
Wales
Ireland

Whlie deployed to Bosnia, I met the wife in Rome and we toured:

The Vatican
San Marino
Switzerland
Italy

While deployed in Haiti, I met the family in the Dominican Republic

While in Hawaii for naval exercises, I brought the family down for a week.

While moving on posting, the family has gone camping in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario

When we lived on the west coast, the family and I had the opportunity to go camping in Alberta, BC, Washington, Oregon and California.

Now that we live in central Canada, we've gone camping in New York, Virginia, West Virginia Pennsylvania, and Maryland (bit of a Civil War tour).

I can attribute all of this vacation travel to my military service.  Me being posted or sent to many different places has allowed me to take advantage of many opportunities to see many things.  Even the kids benefit.  When my son was taking Canadian geography in the 4th Grade, he could relate well to the material because he had been to most of the places they were talking about.  I just don't tell them they're being educated when we go someplace. ;D

In short, yes, you get to travel in the CF.

Pusser, thanks for the awesome post :)! Stories like that help make the waiting bearable.

I'll play along. In only 8 years of reg force Navy travelling, I put a couple miles on: I wound up in provinces and states that I just plain wouldn't have, otherwise.

Based in Halifax, the furthest I've made it in all directions--North to Nunavut, South to Puerto Rico, West to Tofino, BC, and East to Karachi PK.

Countries: USA, Great Britain, Ireland, The Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Croatia, Greece, Morocco, Pakistan, Jordan, Bahrain, The UAE, and even two stops in Djibouti!

Within all those port visits, since that's what most of them were, I tried to see as many attractions in as many cities and towns as was possible. Lots of highlights, lots of memories, lots of stories.

Travel is abundant!!

In 20 years I have had three trades and have done quite a bit of travelling, most of it in the last ten years though.

Canada (Most of the country)
USA (about five states on numerous trips)
UAE (Too much time in this place to like it)
Sultinate of Oman (1 Trip)
Afghanistan (1 Deployment)
Azores (1 Trip)
Iceland (1 Trip)
Greenland (3 Trips)
Norway (1 Trip)
Bermuda 1 Trip)
Cyprus (1 Trip)
Greece (1 trip)
Belgium (1 Trip)
Germany (1 Trip plus currently deployed here)
Scotland (1 Trip
England (2 Trips)

In 10 years between NAVRES and the Air Force, for work:

Canada: 
- Both coasts and the Great Lakes to Toronto, a bunch of airbases and CFB Suffield for a few months (yay)
- Lived in BC, NS, MB, QC and ON
US:  West coast up to Ketchikan AK, east coast to Norfolk VA, and Fort Irwin National Training Centre
Israel
"An undisclosed location"
Afghanistan
Prestwick, Scotland (one-night layover on return from KAF)

Not work:
Driven through most provinces and most of the northern US states for postings
HLTA:  Germany, Belgium, France, Norway, Austria, Netherlands

Hopefully my next posting will let me travel a bit, um, further outside North America or Europe  ;)

3 years:

Quebec
Ontario
BC
Hawaii
West Point

Can't wait to see where the future will take me.

As a dependant, my father was posted to:

Rivers MB
London ON (x2)
Soest Germany
Kingston ON
Gagetown NB (x2)
Moncton NB
St Hubert QC
Baden Germany
Ottawa ON

Since I have joined I have been:

Lahr Germany
Halifax NS
Petawawa ON
as well as some of the above.

I have also traveled to such exotic places as Isreal, Syria, Egypt, Afghanistan, Haiti, Cyprus and Dubai on business and far more for pleasure.  By far the best thing about this career is not the travel, but having the chance to taste the local food from around the world.

Back