• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Travel opportunity in the Forces

habs13

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been reading up on different CF jobs and am considering joining. One thing I was wondering about is if there are trades in the CF that give some travel opportunity (as part of their job), or deployed to foreign countries for part of their service.

Also I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section, so maybe a moderater could move it if it's not. Thanks.

One thing about being in the CF is that you get to travel to some different places. 

Personally, because of being in the CF, I have traveled to:

Germany
Bosnia
Afghanistan (x 2)
Undisclosed location (x 2)

However, because of traveling to those places, I have also been to:

Croatia
Italy
France
Denmark
Switzerland
Austria
Singapore
Australia

Oh and also to Cancun, just because of the salary.  :nod:

If you're only wanting to join because of the travel, be prepared to see a lot of Canada.  ;)

Aside from the travel, which most (if not all) CF members will do in their career, some trades do get opportunities to get posted out of Canada for a few years at a time.  Aerospace Control Operators (AC OP) and Aerospace Controllers (AEC) first come to mind, but there are opportunities for a lot of other trades as well.  It's just not something that usually happens to junior people.

PMedMoe said:
One thing about being in the CF is that you get to travel to some different places. 

Germany
Bosnia
Afghanistan (x 2)
Undisclosed location (x 2)[/b[

Croatia
Italy
France
Denmark
Switzerland
Austria
Singapore
Australia

If you're only wanting to join because of the travel, be prepared to see a lot of Canada.  ;)

Was the weather nice there?  ;)

PMedMoe said:

Germany
Bosnia
Afghanistan (x 2)
Undisclosed location (x 2)

Croatia
Italy
France
Denmark
Switzerland
Austria
Singapore
Australia

Do you mind if I ask what job that is? I assume you're more senior and have been in for a while. Thanks

This all depends on trade, rank, unit etc

When I was with the PPCLI I only went where the battalion went. Thus I travelled but to some not very nice places.

Later we went to the States a few times and trained with the US Army.

Cyprus x 2
Croatia 1993 (Medak)
Bosnia 1997
JRTC Ft Polk Louisiana 1996
NTC Ft Irwin, California 1998
Budapest on a 96 hour R & R
CFB Shilo - always....

Passed through Germany, Austria,  Athens (this means I never left the airports)

habs13 said:
Do you mind if I ask what job that is? I assume you're more senior and have been in for a while. Thanks
Before I hit MCpl, so less than 13 years:
Germany (twice)
Yugoslavia
BC
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Manitoba
Ontario
Quebec
New Brunswick
PEI
Nova Scotia
USA

And I didn't really travel that much compared to some.

habs13 said:

Bosnia as a Cpl Med Tech
Afghanistan (Kabul and Kandahar) as a MCpl PMed Tech (part of HSS Coy)
Afghanistan (Kandahar and FOBs) as a Sgt PMed Tech as part of DHHAT (Deployed Health Hazard Assessment Team)

There's opportunities for pretty much all trades.

Cyprus x 2
Angola
South Africa
Bosnia x 2
Afghanistan
Australia
USA
Italy
Germany
Numerous areas in Canada including the arctic.

You cannot predict where you will go and when

habs13 said:
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Why? I thought it was a pretty reasonable question.

Thats hilarious!  What did you think the CF's entire  fleet of ships and airplanes were for? LOL

Sapperian said:
I thought it was a reasonable question.

Yes it is however you should pay attention to the news. The media every once in a while will cover something military.

Jim Seggie said:
Yes it is however you should pay attention to the news. The media every once in a while will cover something military.
Agreed!
I was almost the first respondant to this topic but thought better of it. I tried to recall my own true ignorance of (then) CAF operations. Even though I was young when I decided I wanted to join the military, I never really paid attention to 'the news'.
I think the question has been well covered.
As a sailor, I have sailed in:
Every ocean and been to every continent except Antarctica. Not many ports south of the Trop of Cap on the Atlantic side but best "foreign" port (without a doubt) was/is St John's, NL!

This is a very interesting thread. It is neat to see all of the places that the CF has been and also where each individual member has traveled to. So, keep the lists coming. It's great info for those thinking about joining, and also a great place for past or present CF members to brag about where they've been  ;D.

Pat in Halifax said:
Agreed!
I was almost the first respondant to this topic but thought better of it. I tried to recall my own true ignorance of (then) CAF operations. Even though I was young when I decided I wanted to join the military, I never really paid attention to 'the news'.
I think the question has been well covered.
As a sailor, I have sailed in:
Every ocean and been to every continent except Antarctica. Not many ports south of the Trop of Cap on the Atlantic side but best "foreign" port (without a doubt) was/is St John's, NL!

My military service, directly and indirectly, has offerred me the opportunity to travel around the world and I have now been to all the continents, having visited Antarctica and South America in February and March this year.

Wainwright, Gagetown, Suffield, Shilo, Chilcotin, Dundurn, Eureka, Alert, and other garden spots.

Back