• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trades in High demand

Sig_Des said:
Otter, I don't want to set you up, but I also don't want to kill it for you. I've gotten lots of in-field time, but that's because I ended up having a really good chain of command that knew that's what I wanted, and let me get out as coy/pl sig support to cmbt arms units. But I've done much more CP HQ work, and now I'm doing a whole lot of IT support work.

Now, if you want the mud and all that, go cmbt arms. If you're precluded from going combat arms due to a vison category like I was, IMHO, Sig Op is the next best choice, as it gets you in the field often.
Blast and drat. I still think I'll probably give Sig Ops a go. Just I was told I'd spend most of the time in the field not in an HQ. That's kind of disappointing. I suppose on the other hand Sig Ops will give me some skills touse if I decide to leave the forces and go to the work force.

Another quick question. When you work in an HQ what kind of stuff do you do? Is it mainly just desk work? Or is it like doing dispatch work?

CEhopeful said:
I was just curious, I applied for Infantry and am going to also apply for sig op.I kno wInfantry is in High demand, but is sig op. as well?

thanks

For Ammo Tech:

The next selection board is being held soon.  Remember you can apply anytime.  The next course is suppose to start in November 2006.  For all interested get your applications in sooner then later.    I am currently on course in Borden, and will be here until at least October 2006.  Any questions about the course or trade I will attempt to answer.  If I do not know then I will refer it to an expert.  If your interested, your very first course of action should be to call your local ammo section  and make a point of going down to talk to some of the ammo techs.  They will give you most of the info you need.  (serving members) If your fresh off of the street, do your research, ask questions (this forum is a good start)

Refer to the DND recruitment site below for a brief overview of the trade.
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

Quick requirements:

- Now open to Direct Entry

Previously
- Applicant must be in Combat Arms or a Supply Tech
- COTP application
- QL5A in current trade in accordance with the provisions of CFAO 49-4 or component transfer
- Level 2 security clearance
- medical standards of: V-4, CV-1, H-3, G-2, O-2, A-5

Cheers!

Fondle-Otter said:
Blast and drat. I still think I'll probably give Sig Ops a go. Just I was told I'd spend most of the time in the field not in an HQ. That's kind of disappointing. I suppose on the other hand Sig Ops will give me some skills touse if I decide to leave the forces and go to the work force.

Another quick question. When you work in an HQ what kind of stuff do you do? Is it mainly just desk work? Or is it like doing dispatch work?

HQ's usually, are deployed in the field. You can see yourself setting up defences, setting up Networks, doing shift work on the Radios, and manning sentry points and checkpoints. If you're doing Domestic Ops excersizes, you can see yourself running things into a building, and doing a lot of the same above.

Sig Op can be physically and mentally demanding, and You should be able to have fun

Sig_Des said:
HQ's usually, are deployed in the field. You can see yourself setting up defences, setting up Networks, doing shift work on the Radios, and manning sentry points and checkpoints. If you're doing Domestic Ops excersizes, you can see yourself running things into a building, and doing a lot of the same above.

Sig Op can be physically and mentally demanding, and You should be able to have fun
Ah that doesn't sound very bad actually. I was worried that I had signed up for a desk job or something. But really it sounds pretty good.

Futuretrooper, a lot of the field work, when it comes to Tac Rad, at least, is working at an HQ CP. There's also a lot of support to lower levels, and one of my favourite jobs in the world is immediate support as a Platoon/Company Signaller.

The Field Ex at the end of your QL3's, if it's anything like mine, is a HUGE bag drive. Go Go Go, set-up, get into a routine...and then, tear down, move move move, get into new location, set-up, go go go, get into a routing, and then, move now, tear down, move move move, get into new location.... You get the point.

Yeah, I hope I can do that depending on whether or not I pass my Antenna Theory re-test. I think that the best thing any person can do who is hoping to join the CF is to go to the closest unit/trade whatever and find out from them what the trade and training is all about.

Ah that doesn't sound very bad actually. I was worried that I had signed up for a desk job or something. But really it sounds pretty good.

I believe if you get posted to HQ and Sigs in Pet or Edmonton then you can do that type of stuff. Personally for myself I put down Edmonton, Shilo, Winnipeg, more or less to be closer to my family back home in Alberta. As well with myself I'm not sure that I want to do this for my whole life as I am looking at either doing university or policework.

Hello

I am not sure where to post this.. but I was hoping that someone could answer my question.

First I would like to say sorry I am not totally up with Miltary LINGO.. My husband laughs at me all the time..

Anyways, Hubby is afghanistan, he is infantry. He would like to OT or is it remuster ( not sure). He was told that he was not allowed to do this because they have suspended all OT from the infantry. Is this the case because I have talked to other spouses and one hubby re mustered from Afghanistan this year. This individual was also infantry.

Thanks for all your help.

paracowboy said:
asshats like that require a throat-punch.

A whole lot of them Para. If you talk to most Sig Ops they were led astray at the recruiting center. I was told that 215 was just like 031 with a radio while my wife ( also a 215 ) was told she would be working in an office most of the time. This is a common theme throughout this trade. Part of the problem seeems to be recruiters who havent got a fricken clue what some trades actual jobs are. ::)

edited for spelling ( and still probably wrong)

Booked_Spice said:
Hello.

I am not sure where to post this..
this seems as good a place as any, however, it may not draw much attention buried in a thread like this.

but I was hoping that someone could answer my question.
well, I'll give 'er a shot.

First I would like to say sorry I am not totally up with Miltary LINGO.. My husband laughs at me all the time..
better than the alternative - see the thread "When is She TOO Army?" for details. ;D

Anyways, Hubby is afghanistan, he is infantry.
I hope he comes home soon, then.

He would like to OT or is it remuster ( not sure).
the terms are pretty much interchangeable, at least as used by the troops. Maybe not by the people who actually make it happen, but for our purposes, they are.

He was told that he was not allowed to do this because they have suspended all OT from the infantry. Is this the case because I have talked to other spouses and one hubby re mustered from Afghanistan this year. This individual was also infantry.
told by whom? The BPSO? The Chain of Command? Or some private who heard from a buddy, who was told by the janitor, who heard it from his neighbour? This is a pretty common rumour that spreads every few months amongst the troops. It's never been true before. We have several troops right now that are getting their OTs to various support trades, so I'm gonna call "bullpucky".

I suggest your husband get some real facts from his Chain of Command, and talk to the PSO office.

Thanks for all your help.
I hope I was some help. Thank you for your support. Without you, I'm certain your husband wouldn't be nearly the soldier he is.

Spice,

1. I hope you understand how difficult it is for me not to make some sort of dirty joke about your screen name. (Oh, the sacrifices I make.)

2. Below is an entire thread devoted to Occupational Transfers. Peruse it and hopefully you can find some better guidance for your husband. Or at least an SME on the subject who can inform you better than I.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,44.0.html

Thanks paracowboy,

I hear all the dirty comments.. I don't mind I kind of like it... ;D. To know me my favorite T-shirt says... Sexually deprived for your Freedom operation Afghanistan. I do get some strange looks. But heh it is the truth right? >:D

When he returned to the Ghan from HTLA he went to talk to ( can't remember the military term) someone in the chain of command. But again you could be right that he didn't talk to who he was supposed to. But thanks for the Link.

Thanks for your help

Back