• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto EMS

Med Tech 2010 said:
I am working towards being in the EMS field so I am sympathetic to BC Paramedics

B.C. Ambulance sounds like something out of a Charles Dickens novel. Or Cinderella. Even the funeral home used to treat us better back in 1972. What a year that was!  :nod:

[/quote]
As a general rule, one cannot be paid for nothing (or just being on call).
[/quote]

See Article 8.02 in the link already posted in this thread.

[/quote]
If a paramedic hardly is getting a call and is making 21 dollars an hour, it is going to get political from the public.
[/quote]

It is going to get political when the Coroner's Inquest decides someone died because the ambulance took too long. The next step is when it gets expensive because of the Next of Kin's lawsuit.
Toronto EMS - a high performance system - pays Paramedics a lot more than $21/hr to eat, sleep and watch TV around the clock on the Island. From Sept to May they hardly turn a wheel. All because of 262 cottage homes are there. They are legally entitled to the same service as any other Ward 28 resident on the mainland.

[/quote]
BC needs to look at either a Firemedic service or to go private service again.
[/quote]

Read about FDNY-EMS:
http://www.fdnyemswebsite.com/
Police and fire are not private, neither should be EMS.

MedTech said:
Gotcha, your original post didn't seem like you were sympathetic. It's a sensitive subject for all in or close to the service.

I agree...most of them coming into the hospital avoid discussing it lately. I think they are sick and tired and just want to get back to regular old work.

Med Tech 2010 said:
I understand what the medics in BC are fighting for. Plus I am working towards being in the EMS field so I am sympathetic to BC Paramedics

I have been searching and gathering as much information as could from the ASBC as I could from out of province. As a general rule, one cannot be paid for nothing (or just being on call). If a paramedic hardly is getting a call and is making 21 dollars an hour, it is going to get political from the public. The government cannot afford it. The paramedics are pushing the $2 dollar business when they should be pushing a need for restructuring. I sorry, I think the way ASBC operates is very flaw and it is the management/ leadership issues. BC needs to look at either a Firemedic service or to go private service again. I cannot see how ASBC can survive. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

Not to really nitpick however, it's BCAS "British Columbia Ambulance Service" I have never heard of ASBC. I'm sorry but, you don't know what you are talking about. I and probably 99.9% of the paramedics out here would NOT go for a Fire Rescue/EMS system. You cannot cross train effectively, and you don't have enough money or time to do it. It's not the same as a medic in the CF, where we have time, and where we have the budget to come out with a warrior healer (and we honestly fail at that allot of the times too). That's why most TEMS medics are civi medics cross trained with tactics. You can't get someone whose side gig is EMS. It just doesn't work. What's your priority going to be in a Fire/EMS service? I can almost guarantee you that it won't be EMS.

We call them bucketheads for a reason. Great for lifting heavy stretchers, great for doing CPR, but leave the differential diagnosis to the professionals please.

*shudder* Firemedic.  */shudder*

Only thing worse is to be called an Ambulance Driver

"EMS delay in man's death preventable: ministry
Disciplinary action against those involved 'a joke,' says partner"
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/10/08/ems-hearst-strike-report734.html?ref=rss
http://www.toronto.ca/your_health/ems.htm

Back