• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This is not the Canada I remember [Boo-ing Team USA]

• Thread starter Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date Start date
MCG said:
Just consider "the summit on ice" when Team Canada beat the Soviets.  These were two national icons going head to head, and it had the attention and imagination of this whole country.  Those were not just two commercial teams that drew players from around the world on the offer of big bucks.

And you can bet that Canadians booed the Soviets, and vice versa. I have zero problem with that.

MCG said:
So, maybe you were sitting in the stands thinking you were just "boo-ing" another hockey team, but the whole world tuned in to see a bunch of Canadians throwing venom at a symbol of the USA.

Well, as I clearly stated, I didn't boo, and didn't approve of thise that did, but not for the reasons that you state.
MCG said:
There is a place for booing (when someone's being a jerk in the game, when spectators spoil the flow of a game by entering or throwing objects into the playing area, etc). 

Like when Jack Johnnson threw a viscious elbow at Steve Downie? Or when Team USA resorted to dirty play when things didn't go their way? Aside from their age, they deserved every boo. Watch the game next time before posting about things you have no knowlege about. As you would say, "stay in your lane".

Caesar said:
And you can bet that Canadians booed the Soviets, and vice versa. I have zero problem with that.
Yes, I realize you have no problems taking the moral low ground just because you've seen others do it before.

Caesar said:
Like when Jack Johnnson threw a viscious elbow at Steve Downie?
Not even the same game.

Caesar said:
Watch the game next time before posting about things you have no knowlege about.
You've made that assumption of everyone that has the opposite opinion of you.  Just because I refered to the statements of a radio host does not mean that was my only avenue of information on what happened.

However, I see there is no point in pressing this any farther.  As I stated above, you cannot (or choose not) to recognize that Team USA is a symbol of the USA (like any other symbol).  This was a central theme to my previous post, yet you chose not to even comment on it.

Caesar said:

In this tournament, they did not.

Gentleman...step back and breathe. This issue has become bigger on here then it should.

Fans cheer teams they like, boo teams they do not. For fans of the NHL, this is quite acceptable as they are paying good money to see professional players, playing against their team. I have even heard TO Maple Leaf fans boo their own team for poor performance. I have also seen it at NBA games as well, so it is more then hockey.
Do I normally condoning the booing of another countries national hockey team? No I do not.
When would I condone this normally unacceptable act? When the team on the ice has not shown itself to be worthy because they broke the tenants of good sportmanship.

This US team repeatedly ran at players, delivering cheap shots even after play had ceased. I saw this often, not just against Canada....

The Swiss tied the US, a US defenseman ran a Swiss forward from behind after a whistle. Finland lost to US, but a US player punched a Finish player. Canada beat the US 3-2, there was other highlighted cheap shot. Russia beat USA 5-1, the last 4 mins of the game were full of dumb play, including a US player crosschecking a downed Russian player in the back of the head.
The Russians lost to us 5-0, after a hard fought game....was there any after whistle activity (other then when the Cdn player fell onto the Russian goalie), and running of players or cheap shotting of players? No, they lost with class.

This USA Jr team was arrogant, undisciplined and did not show any class. The controversy should be that they did not represent their country with honour and sportmanship during this tournament.

Armymedic said:
This US team repeatedly ran at players, delivering cheap shots even after play had ceased. I saw this often, not just against Canada....

The Swiss tied the US, a US defenseman ran a Swiss forward from behind after a whistle. Finland lost to US, but a US player punched a Finish player. Canada beat the US 3-2, there was other highlighted cheap shot. Russia beat USA 5-1, the last 4 mins of the game were full of dumb play, including a US player crosschecking a downed Russian player in the back of the head.
The Russians lost to us 5-0, after a hard fought game....was there any after whistle activity (other then when the Cdn player fell onto the Russian goalie), and running of players or cheap shotting of players? No, they lost with class.

This USA Jr team was arrogant, undisciplined and did not show any class. The controversy should be that they did not represent their country with honour and sportmanship during this tournament.

Thank-you. That's the kicker right there.

...and please feel free to boo the Guelph Storm all the way to the memorial Cup.

This whole thread is in the running for stupidest waste of 4 pages ever on army.ca......

Armymedic said:
When would I condone this normally unacceptable act? When the team on the ice has not shown itself to be worthy because they broke the tenants of good sportmanship.
Sounds good to me (but does not validate some poor choices of phrases certain spectators felt the need to chant).

Armymedic said:
Probably the best observation in the whole thread.

Caesar said:
Thank-you. That's the kicker right there.
Yeah, sure beats your 4 page BS argument of "Booing is a compliment."

Back