• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking about joining the Peace Corps, got a few questions

Melging

Inactive
Reaction score
So I've been out of High School for a year now trying to figure out what should I do, I thought about a few things and I was talking to a family member and she brought up the Canadian Military and how much benefits and things I could do if I join them, my personality is much more of helping and not fighting so I thought of the Peace Corps, I knew some stuff about it but I don't know everything, I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can meet with someone to ask questions so I was wondering what questions should I ask?

And if anyone here that has been/is in the Peace Corps currently could tell me some good information, what would be great.

Thanks in advance!

The Peace Corps is a US Government run international service organization.  The Government of Canada does not have an equivalent organization.  You must be a US citizen to join the Peace Corps.  If you're interested in volunteer opportunities overseas you might look into non-governmental organizations like "Projects Abroad" (http://www.projects-abroad.ca/).  I have no direct knowledge or experience with this organization but it's one of many links that comes up when you Google "Peace Corps Canadian equivalent".  Good luck with your search.

From personal experience after graduating form university (way too many years ago), NGO's are looking for people with experience in their field, and prefer to have people with experience in an overseas environment. The big key is experience in your field.

One thing I could suggest is if university is in your future plans, there are opportunities to work overseas through organizations such as Engineers without Borders which have chapters set up at most of the Canadian Engineering schools. There may be similar organizations for other programs as well. Something worth looking into if that is where you want to go.

I thought CIDA was the paid Canadian Equivalent, but from their postings they want oversea experience and degrees up the ying yang.

Melging said:
So I've been out of High School for a year now trying to figure out what should I do, I thought about a few things and I was talking to a family member and she brought up the Canadian Military and how much benefits and things I could do if I join them, my personality is much more of helping and not fighting so I thought of the Peace Corps, I knew some stuff about it but I don't know everything, I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can meet with someone to ask questions so I was wondering what questions should I ask?

And if anyone here that has been/is in the Peace Corps currently could tell me some good information, what would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Try taking a look at AIESEC. They do youth internships in a variety of fields all over the world, periods ranging from a couple months to a year plus.

http://aiesec.ca/

GAP said:
I thought CIDA was the paid Canadian Equivalent, but from their postings they want oversea experience and degrees up the ying yang.

The 20 year old son of a buddy of mine was on a World Vision sponsored youth project in Ghana last year.

Of course I told him he was crazy, after looking at the fairly sketchy mission brief that seemed to rely heavily on 'peace and hope' for success.

They all got malaria. A wonderful growth experience.

It appears that if you give, the third world is quite happy to return the favour! Having said that, World Vision is apparently a pretty good crew.

Regardless, I'd say join the CF if you want to go places and help people in a more meaningful way, you know, like Haiti ... or Manitoba!

And with all of that stagnating water after the levels drop, one could probably contract malaria right in Manitoba. No need to travel very far.

daftandbarmy said:
Regardless, I'd say join the CF if you want to go places and help people in a more meaningful way, you know, like Haiti ... or Manitoba!

Can't find a more exotic destination than Manitoba. ;D

The OP hasn't logged back in since posting that question so it may just be a drive-by anyways folks.

Thanks for the help!

I'll definitely look into the options you guys said, I would love to work overseas and help.

Back