• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Things weren't as bad as it seemed.....

FlatTax

Inactive
Reaction score
I was in BMQ in Borden up to a few weeks ago. I put in the 'request to cease training', then the request for VR form upon return to my unit. Heres the story behind it, and now why I regret it:

The platoon that I was assigned to was a motley crew of highschool kids, some people in their early 20s that didn't graduate high school, and a few people in college. At first we didn't really work in cohesion, and I noticed we had a deficit in leadership. I was slated to be the platoon leader over a weekend (I was assigned it starting on a friday and ending on a monday, long shift) and I thought I could change this as I had some leadership experience from a previous civy job. Well, I was wrong and I made a few mistakes here and there so naturally the NCOs saw this and jacked me up pretty hard about it. Because I was no longer just a grey man I was on their radar, and the staff jacked me up extra hard whenever they had a chance.

To top it off I managed to exacerbate a previous running injury (IT band) on the confidence course so I was hurtin and had an ice pack on my knee at nearly all times in the shacks. (SUCK IT UP YOU ***** was the response I got from an instructor when asked why I was limping and jogging slow)

This added some extra stress to an already stressful course.

Then I received some disturbing family news from the homefront. I really lost my focus in the course because I always had this lingering in the back of my mind, and I had started to lose some sleep over the issue. As the days went on the stress increased and all I could think about was this family issue (christ I thought I was getting a stomach ulcer over it). So I decided to throw in the towel and put in the 'request to cease training' form, giving the reasons that I didn't think it was for me and couldn't handle the stress imposed. I wasn't to happy when I got home, a mixture of shame/anger/and stress so I indicated to my unit I would like to be released (I haven't heard from them as besides the office staff they are 'closed').

Anyhow fast forward a few weeks to the present and this family issue has been mended, so its pretty much resolved. And for some strange reason I miss BMQ, and the platoon, and everything else military.

So I'm at a loss of what to do now? Should I let myself simmer down, go back to university (I'm in my last year) and try again when I'm done? I'm kinda at a loss here...

From what you're saying, some members of your course staff seem highly unprofessional. What trade were you going for? I assume you were a PRes? If so, why not finish school (never hurts) and then join again when you're healed up?

3rdroyal said:
some members of your course staff seem highly unprofessional.

We all know that every recruit who complain about their staff's behaviour is always giving us %100 of the sory right ?

CDN Aviator said:
We all know that every recruit who complain about their staff's behaviour is always giving us %100 of the sory right ?

And every instructor is the epitome of professionalism.
No. The fact is I really hate whiners too and that most of the time the "mean instructor" stories are BS. I was only commenting on the "SUCK IT UP YOU _____" statement. Unless "_____" was "candidate" then it was probably something that was unnecessary. Also, I said "from what you are saying", meaning I was giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who was asking for helpful advice. I guess i could have just assumed he was a "____" and told him to forget it.

Jaysus Haitch, I hate how fast these things spiral - cut it out.

For FlatTax:  Although your unit (I also assume a Reserve regiment?) may take you back - may I make a suggestion.

Carry on with your final year - give it some time, give it some perspective.  If, after a few months (say - after Christmas break) you want to try again - then do so.

Right now, I think your primary focus needs to be completing your degree, and based upon what you've said your life has had a lot of upheaval over the past few months.  Let life settle down, chew over your experiences, learn what you need to learn from them - and then carry on.

Just an opinion - and worth everything you paid for it.

Roy

Thanks Roy, your post seems to be in line with the other advice I've gotten. The CF isn't going anywhere, and they'll still be looking for a few good men once I have a degree to my name.

Back