• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The WTF News Files

Should we start a Darwin Awards 2016?

Man taking selfies with gun fatally shoots himself

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:17:00 EST PM

CONCRETE, Wash. -- A 43-year-old man has died after authorities say he accidentally shot himself in the face while taking selfies.

The Skagit Valley Herald reports the man and his girlfriend were photographing themselves with the weapon on Sunday at a residence when he shot himself.

Skagit County Sheriff's Office Patrol Chief Chad Clark says the woman reported that she and the man had taken photos with the gun several times that day and that the man had loaded and unloaded bullets multiple times.

Clark says a bullet apparently remained in the gun the final time he fired.

The death is being investigated as accidental. The man's name has not been released.

http://www.thewhig.com/2016/03/02/man-taking-selfies-with-gun-fatally-shoots-himself

211RadOp said:
Should we start a Darwin Awards 2016?

Man taking selfies with gun fatally shoots himself

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:17:00 EST PM

CONCRETE, Wash. -- A 43-year-old man has died after authorities say he accidentally shot himself in the face while taking selfies.

The Skagit Valley Herald reports the man and his girlfriend were photographing themselves with the weapon on Sunday at a residence when he shot himself.

Skagit County Sheriff's Office Patrol Chief Chad Clark says the woman reported that she and the man had taken photos with the gun several times that day and that the man had loaded and unloaded bullets multiple times.

Clark says a bullet apparently remained in the gun the final time he fired.

The death is being investigated as accidental. The man's name has not been released.

http://www.thewhig.com/2016/03/02/man-taking-selfies-with-gun-fatally-shoots-himself

I guess you can fix stupid.

You know they're hammered, when...  the video from the patrol car's dash cam say's it all.  (I did see something similar at CFB Calgary after a serviceman was caught by a city street sweeper crew at 3 am, but it was a stop sign that was buried in the front of the soldier's car hood)

Woman Driving with 15 ft Tree buried in front of car

jollyjacktar said:
You know they're hammered, when...  the video from the patrol car's dash cam say's it all.  (I did see something similar at CFB Calgary after a serviceman was caught by a city street sweeper crew at 3 am, but it was a stop sign that was buried in the front of the soldier's car hood)

Woman Driving with 15 ft Tree buried in front of car

I might have known that guy...we had a guy in the Fd Amb that literally just got his driver's licence who was a serious drunk.  He apparently argued with the CPS for several minutes that he didn't run a stop sign, until the copper took him and showed him the stop sign in his car.

MM

medicineman said:
I might have known that guy...we had a guy in the Fd Amb that literally just got his driver's licence who was a serious drunk.  He apparently argued with the CPS for several minutes that he didn't run a stop sign, until the copper took him and showed him the stop sign in his car.

MM

Well technically he didn't run it; he hit it. 

;)

medicineman said:

MM

That would have made sense by his barracks I saw the car at.  I was on the oncoming day shift and watched on camera as the shift IC went in to wish him good morning.  The poor chap was trying to hold his hang over inside his head with both hands as the Sgt yelled at him. ;D

Another candidate for the you can't fix stupid file, maybe?  Would have been fun to watch.

Christian 'prophet' has his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards a pride 'to prove the Lord's power over animals' during South Africa safari
Zion Church member Alec Ndiwane wanted to show God would save him
He 'fell into a trance started speaking in tongues before charging at pride'
Lions chased after him and one of them clamped down on his buttocks
He said: 'I don't know what came over me. Were we not given dominion over all creatures of the earth?'

BySimon Tomlinson for MailOnline

Published: 09:53 GMT, 11 March 2016 | Updated: 10:14 GMT, 11 March 2016

A church leader had his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards a pride in a bid to prove the 'Lord's power over animals'.

Alec Ndiwane, a Zion Christian Church prophet, was attacked on a safari while trying to show that God would save him in front of fellow church members.

He is said to have fallen into a trance and started speaking in tongues before charging at a pride of lions feeding on an impala in South Africa's Kruger National Park.

But as Mr Ndiwane sprinted towards them, the lions immediately viewed him as prey and zeroed in.

Realising the Lord wasn't about to help, Mr Ndiwane fled back to the car, but not before one of the lions clamped down on his buttocks.

He was only saved from further injury or possible death when the game ranger fired shots to scare the lions off, it was reported by GhanaWeb.

He said: 'I do not know what came over me. I thought the Lord wanted to use me to show his power over animals.

'Is it not we were given dominion over all creatures of the earth.'

Mr Ndiwane was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery to stitch up his wounds and was later discharged.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3487255/Christian-prophet-buttocks-mauled-lion-running-pride-prove-Lord-s-power-animals-South-Africa-safari.html#ixzz42b0y1HeG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Perhaps the Lord does indeed have power over the animals and Mr Nidiwane was just mistaken as to His intent?

Perhaps the Lord helps us by giving (apparently some of) us the brains to NOT run towards a group of carnivores during a meal?

They should not be shopping at Whole Foods. They should not be shopping at all......

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228865

21 REASONS TO NEVER EVER STEP INSIDE A WHOLE FOODS AGAIN: “I need to read the numbers on the barcode aloud to you. I don’t want any lasers touching my food.”

jollyjacktar said:
The poor chap was trying to hold his hang over inside his head with both hands as the Sgt yelled at him. ;D

You gotta hate when that happens. No one has ever been so lucky to die from a hangover. [:D

;D

Yahoo Daily Buzz

Seal flops his way to seafood restaurant every day to beg for food
Earl Abalajon
The Daily Buzz
March 14, 2016

Nothing to see here – just Sammy the seal stopping by his favourite local eatery for a quick bite to eat.

Wicklow County, Ireland is home to a cheeky marine mammal who’s captured the hearts of locals. Now the rest of the Internet has been let in on his charming hijinks.

A video of Sammy, showing the intrepid seal leaping out of the water and heading straight for the fish and chips place across the street, has gone viral.

(...SNIPPED)

Yahoo Daily Buzz

Man incubates supermarket egg and it hatches
Lia Grainger
The Daily Buzz
March 14, 2016

Most people who buy eggs at the supermarket plan to eventually eat them. But Alwyn Wils had something very different in mind when he bought a dozen quail eggs from a Dutch supermarket – and today he has a tiny new friend to show for it.

Wils lives in Haarlem, Holland, and was curious to see if he could make a store-bought egg hatch. It is generally assumed that store eggs can’t hatch because they are not fertilized. Wils decided to test this assumption.

In a YouTube video titled “Introducing Albert,” we see Wils selecting a dozen quail eggs from an unrefrigerated shelf at a Dutch grocery store. On January 16, Wils begins incubating the eggs at a steady 37.6 degrees.

(...SNIPPED)

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/03/23/navy-tug-lost-for-nearly-century-found-in-waters-off-california.html?cmpid=NL_SciTech  Some photos at link

Navy tug, lost for nearly a century, found in waters off California

By Michael Casey  Published March 23, 2016  FoxNews.com

Nearly 100 years ago, a Navy tugboat with 56 officers aboard was heading from California to the American Samoa when it disappeared without a trace.

A massive air and sea search around the Hawaiian islands for the USS Conestoga turned up nothing and two months later, a battered lifeboat was spotted with the C on its bow off the Mexican coast. It was the last U.S. Navy ship to be lost without a trace in peacetime and became one of the top maritime mysteries in Navy history.

Now, that mystery has been solved.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Navy announced Wednesday that they had found the Conestoga in the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off San Francisco – some 95 years after it disappeared.

“After nearly a century of ambiguity and a profound sense of loss, the Conestoga’s disappearance no longer is a mystery,” Manson Brown, assistant secretary of commerce for environmental observation and prediction and deputy NOAA administrator, said in a statement. “We hope that this discovery brings the families of its lost crew some measure of closure and we look forward to working with the Navy to protect this historic shipwreck and honor the crew who paid the ultimate price for their service to the country.”

The first breakthrough came in 2009 when the NOAA Office of Coast Survey, as part of a hydrographic survey near the Farallon Islands off San Francisco, spotted a possible, uncharted shipwreck. Five years later, they confirmed it was indeed the Conestoga.

“Thanks to modern science and to cooperation between agencies, the fate of Conestoga is no longer a mystery,” Dennis McGinn, the assistant secretary of the Navy for Energy, Installations and Environment, said. “In remembering the loss of the Conestoga, we pay tribute to her crew and their families, and remember that, even in peacetime, the sea is an unforgiving environment.”

Originally built to tow coal barges for the railroad, the Navy purchased Conestoga in 1917 for World War I service. The tug operated on the Atlantic coast and off the Azores, performing convoy and other duties before being assigned to harbor service in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1919.

Ordered to duty in American Samoa, Conestoga steamed from Mare Island Naval Shipyard in California at 3:25 p.m. on March 25, 1921, headed for Pearl Harbor. After leaving the Golden Gate, the tug, possibly towing a barge, disappeared.

While the cause of the disaster remains unresolved, weather appears to be a critical factor.

Weather logs around the time of Conestoga’s departure indicated that wind in the Golden Gate area almost doubled to 40 miles per hour, and the seas were rough. A garbled radio transmission from Conestoga relayed later by another ship stated the tug was “battling a storm and that the barge she was towing had been torn adrift by heavy seas.”

Based on the location and orientation of the wreck in 189-foot-deep water, NOAA believes Conestoga sank as officers and crew attempted to reach a protected cove on the island.

“This would have been a desperate act, as the approach is difficult and the area was the setting for five shipwrecks between 1858 and 1907,” according to NOAA’s report on the Conestoga discovery. “However, as Conestoga was in trouble and filling with water, it seemingly was the only choice to make.”

Video, from cameras mounted on remotely operated vehicles used to explore the wreck site, shows the wreck lying on the seabed and largely intact. The size of the wreck and many of its features - the four-bladed, 12-foot 3-inch diameter propeller; the steam engine and boilers a large steam towing winch with twisted wire on the drum; two porcelain marine heads; and a single, 3-inch, 50-caliber gun that was mounted on the main deck in front of the pilot house – helped NOAA confirm this was the Conestoga.

No human remains, however, were discovered at the site.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/crash-shuts-down-southbound-i-95-in-brevard-county

MELBOURNE, Fla. - A crash involving two tractor-trailers hauling beer and chips overturned on Interstate 95 in Brevard County, spilling the snacks all over the roadway and blocking lanes for hours on Wednesday morning.

The crash was reported at milemarker 187 in Pineda Causeway just after 3:30 a.m.

Florida Highway Patrol said the tractor-trailer carrying Busch beer was driving southbound on I-95 when the driver attempted to move into center lane and swerved to avoid another vehicle.

The front of the Busch beer truck then struck the Frito-Lay truck, prompting the Frito-Lay truck to overturn and spill beer and chips onto the roadway, according to FHP.

A once in a lifetime event and I missed it  [:'(

Rifleman62 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/03/23/navy-tug-lost-for-nearly-century-found-in-waters-off-california.html?cmpid=NL_SciTech  Some photos at link

tugboat with 56 officers aboard

That must have been why it sank - either all of the crew were Officers, or, given the normal Officer-to-non-commissioned ratio, the crew was far too large for such a small vessel.

:rofl:

It does make one wonder how in Star Trek they managed to leave the space dock at all, never mind go on 5 year missions. 

jollyjacktar said:
:rofl:

It does make one wonder how in Star Trek they managed to leave the space dock at all, never mind go on 5 year missions.

Especially when you take in consideration the mortality rate among "Red Shirts."

Back