• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Ok It is confirmed that I would NavComm is Level III trade.

So according to FDO I can not apply since I haven't been in Canada for the last 10 years. I did submit my application, passed my CFAT, BackCheck already contacted references. Nobody every told me I could not apply. Should I do down to the recruitment centre?

Thanks

No, I suggest you keep monitoring this forum in the hope that someone's WAG will give you the answer you would like, instead of an accurate one.

I would suggest you go and have a talk with the RC. Ask them! There may be a reason why it's not a concern. One may be the fact that by the time your Presecure is done you may have the 10 years. It can take up to 18 months to get info from another country. SOMETIMES we do what we call "risk management" . What this means is we look at ALL the circumstances surrounding your application, weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

This post is not anything you can take to the Recruiting Crentre and lay on them as gospel. It is purely speculation based on my experience without looking at your file. My advice to you is talk to one of the File Managers at the Centre and ask them.

Thanks FDO. I just wanted to double check. I would not want my pre-clearance come back and be told I have to wait another X months. At the same time I did not want to go in there without making sure and sound like an idiot telling them that they might have missed something...

Just an update

I just came back from CFRC Vancouver. They said that there is no requirement for residency in any way. The only thing is depending on which countries you resided in the past 10 years and your current connection with those countries  there would be a pre-clearence and that takes 1-18 Months. I already knew that and submitted my form. I am not sure but there might be a change recently.

"I just came back from CFRC Vancouver. They said that there is no requirement for residency in any way. The only thing is depending on which countries you resided in the past 10 years and your current connection with those countries  there would be a pre-clearence and that takes 1-18 Months. I already knew that and submitted my form. I am not sure but there might be a change recently."

That's great news. Like I said there are some cuircumastance that will negate the 10 year wait. Glad to hear all worked out. Good luck with the rest of your processing and looking forward to seeing you in the fleet.

Turkey is or until recently was a NATO country. There weren't any issues with Turkey until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what happened but we got word to move Turkey over to the pre-secure side of the house. The GENERAL rule of thumb is if your from a NATO country or travelled in a NATO country or have family in a NATO country, then you SHOULDN'T have too much trouble getting cleared.

Note the key words in this post!

Turkey has been a NATO member since day one and still is. However recent government actions might have lead to including them for pre-screening. Recently Turkish Government  starting to engage in talks/negotiation with Kurds with in the country and Kurds in Northern Iraq, which were considered terrorists for many years. Government allowed many "ex" terrorists into the country and did not charge them in exchange for intel and promise to be in probation etc. And there is also Israel issue and due to Israel; ties with US is also not very good these days. There is lots happening in Turkey and I personally do not see it going well in the future...

Recruter showed e the email. It was dated Oct 30th and I was sitting there on Nov 14th :) I got stuck by 2 weeks, oh well, its for better security and as much as I don't like it, I don't blame them...

You went back and raised a concern and the RC said it was OK. They are the ones that have all the info on you so they would know best. Bottom line is your good to go. Looks like your Navy bound if all goes well.

Good Luck.

MasterInstructor said:
Turkey has been a NATO member since day one and still is.
Turkey (and Greece) joined NATO in 1952.  The alliance was formed in 1949.

And there is also Israel issue and due to Israel; ties with US is also not very good these days.
You do know that Turkey and Israel have been allies in all but name in the past don't you? They have co-opted on several military programs. Tensions have only arisen recently due to Israeli actions in the Gaza.

Yep I know.

For the last few years AK Party has been in power. Mr. Erdogan is a very intelligent man and has very strong Islamic views. He has a lot of support from East but not so much from West. He is the one who walked off in Davos. His government is the one who did not want Israel to participate Anatolian Eagle. Anatolian Eagle not only further damaged the ties with Israel but also with US. In my opinion anyways  ;)

I'm currently a u.s citizen and am interested in moving to Canada and join the military forces there but i need to know the requirements. i have 3 tattoos one on the side of my neck on my right hand and on my big toe on the left side. i have a misdemeanor here for retail theft also would these disqualify me from joining?
or do i have to get waivers? i want to do infantry .

There are several threads already that will answer your questions, and probably some that you have not thought of yet. Please look around and use the Search Function.

In short, though, you will need to be a Canadian Citizen. The conviction may or may not be a showstopper.

The poll is irrelevant.

biggboss89 said:
I'm currently a u.s citizen and am interested in moving to Canada and join the military forces there but i need to know the requirements. i have 3 tattoos one on the side of my neck on my right hand and on my big toe on the left side. i have a misdemeanor here for retail theft also would these disqualify me from joining?
or do i have to get waivers? i want to do infantry .

- Most folks go the other way.  Better career options and benefits in the US. What's your story?

Can a US citizen join the forces? I'm interested. I just don't know what to do or the steps to take.

http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?m=0&lang=en&sid=170&sm1=4&sm2=2&content=170&tab=0&subTab=1

From the CF Recruiting Site:

Canadian Forces

Joining

Q. I would like to join the Canadian Forces. What are the basic requirements?

A. You must meet the following minimal conditions: be a Canadian citizen (if you have a permanent resident status, you may still be considered eligible for employment under certain conditions); be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/guardian consent for minors; have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

Q. Can my spouse and I enrol in the Canadian Forces? Will we work on the same base?

A. Yes. Both spouses may be employed by the Canadian Forces and all possible efforts are made to keep spouses at the same location.

Q. Is there discrimination in the Canadian Forces?

A. The Canadian Human Rights Act provides that every person in the workplace has a right to freedom from discrimination or harassment based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, marital status, family status, disability, pardoned conviction, and sexual orientation. The Canadian Forces go beyond these requirements by addressing other types of workplace harassment and by focusing on the prevention and prompt resolution of harassment situations. We are working very hard to ensure the many cultures that make up the Canadian workforce are represented and accommodated in the Canadian Forces. All new recruits receive cultural awareness, harassment and racism prevention training. The Canadian Forces is an equal opportunity employer. This means, that men and women may apply for every open entry-level job and receive the same pay. As well, the definition of a spouse for pension and other considerations includes common-law and same-sex partnerships.

Q. What is the difference between the Regular Force and the Reserves?

A. Regular Force serve full-time and have a commitment to serve for a certain number of years while Reservists usually work part-time.

Q. What is the difference between an officer and a non-commissioned member?

A. Officers provide leadership and are required to have a university degree. Non-commissioned members are technicians and operators and are trained for specific occupations.

Back