• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Unit

danteh

Inactive
Reaction score
First of all, please dont get the wrong idea about me asking this question, I'm not asking because I want to be like them or anything, just curious.

For people who have seen the show "The Unit" are the main characters (If were Canadian Regular Forces) Officers or NCM's?

NCM's

Mods: can you move this to radio chatter where it belongs.

NCM's

Mods: can you move this to radio chatter where it belongs.

And Officers as well, no?

I don't follow the show, but I believe the one my girlfriend refers to as her "dark chocolate television husband" may be an officer.

Jonas Blaine is a CSM so still an NCO

And the show is just like real life I know it is, and nobody can tell me different damnit!

The only officer in the show is Col. Tom Ryan.

And they have nifty "call signs" as well.

Actor                    Role                                              Callsign

Dennis Haysbert      Sergeant Major Jonas Blane                Snake Doctor

Scott Foley            Sergeant First Class Bob Brown          Cool Breeze

Max Martini            Master Sergeant Mack Gerhardt          Dirt Diver

Robert Patrick          Colonel Thomas Ryan                        Blue Iguana

Michael Irby            Sergeant First Class Charles Grey        Betty Blue

Demore Barnes        Sergeant First Class Hector Williams    Hammerhead

Nicole Steinwedell    Warrant Officer One Bridget Sullivan    Red Cap

Wes Chatham          Staff Sergeant Sam McBride              Whiplash

Is Sniper Ninja too obvious for a code name?  I'm banking on it sounding so ridiculous that its unbelievable.

Here is an example of "Call signs" in use. Anyone hazard a guess where I got it?

"PBR Street Gang, this is Almighty, over...
This is Almighty, standing by, over.
This is Almighty, how do you copy, over..."

Apocalypse Now.  In the Canadian Forces your first callsign will most likely be "Maggot".  Almost everyone in my recruit platoon was.

Kat Stevens said:
Apocalypse Now.  In the Canadian Forces your first callsign will most likely be "Maggot".  Almost everyone in my recruit platoon was.

Oh no, I thought it was "Sign Here".
And the example was from Apocalypse Now.

I got a short lived one from the Area when I was a reservist - "Hey You".  It backfired when I neglected to offer acknowledgement of him yelling it at me  ;D.  I almost became a green popsicle when I said to him I had a nametape on my chest and rank on my arm and if he wished me to respond, he should use them...

MM

Ive been everything from "Space Cadet" to "Supreme Commander of The Universe" to "CplMaj" and now, suddenly, "The Orderly Room Bouncer".

We had an individual on our BMQ PL who "broke his Hercules Tendon"  ::) .....and in place of boots, wore these cheap dollar-store sneakers with these really cheesy lighting bolts on them.  Despite being "injured", he would always bolt to lunch when dismissed.  Our SME instructing NCBD donned him "Lightning McFlash". He eventually got RTUed either by his own initiative or (more likely) that of the staff.

I have no idea how US military radio procedure works, but when I worked with them they always used these interesting 'tough guy' callsigns.

Example: I was on a course with some US Marines and the student OC for one operation, who seemed permanently very pleased with himself, insisted on calling himself 'Shogun'. Of course I called myself 'Grasshopper' and insisted, whenever he went OTT on the radio (which was often), that it was 'time for me to leave'.

He didn't get it. But of course he was also the guy who believed me when I told him that no one in the Commonwealth was allowed to own a Corgi except the Queen because it was the 'Royal Dog', which we had to salute.  ;D

Back