• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Well the C1 mag at least sort of fit the pocket - the C7 mag made sure you couldn’t get it out of the pocket unless a sundial was used as a timer.
I can't remember when we received C7s. I arrived in Germany in 1986, and we may have got them during my posting. At least mag pouches existed by then. I don't remember the gate guards wearing webbing in the boxes.

I do remember that our CO (Ray Henault) had our sentries exchange their rifles for pick handles for night-time sentry duties on Fallex.

I can't remember when we received C7s. I arrived in Germany in 1986, and we may have got them during my posting. At least mag pouches existed by then. I don't remember the gate guards wearing webbing in the boxes.

I do remember that our CO (Ray Henault) had our sentries exchange their rifles for pick handles for night-time sentry duties on Fallex.
IIRC all of the units in Germany had C7 by late 1986, 2 VP got C7's before replacing 3RCR in German in 1984, and even the Militia had them by 1990.

IIRC all of the units in Germany had C7 by late 1986, 2 VP got C7's before replacing 3RCR in German in 1984, and even the Militia had them by 1990.
Thanks.

I don't recall shooting either while I was there, only pistol into an old gravel-filled concrete jet .50 cal gun test butt thing.

And those of us who bought various toys at the rod and Gun Club always brought them along for more fun.

Any follow up on this?

I just googled this quickly but there doesn't seem to be anything other than the initial reports...

Two incidents of people firing at the front gate of a big base like this, and then fleeing...yikes!

(Although I've got a feeling it was the same guy both times, him having a getaway driver the 2nd time around really surprised me!)

Any follow up on this?

I just googled this quickly but there doesn't seem to be anything other than the initial reports...

Two incidents of people firing at the front gate of a big base like this, and then fleeing...yikes!

(Although I've got a feeling it was the same guy both times, him having a getaway driver the 2nd time around really surprised me!)
There was a story about how it’s Anti-Federal Government (Sovereign Citizen folks) doing it — so I suspect the personnel are known to LE. But beyond that article (one of the EBB or Defense News emails) I haven’t seen anything more (but haven’t gone looking either).

Another random weapon memory from Germany - the only non-pistol one . . .

We made a road trip to some Bundeswehr range during Fallex one year. The only thing that I remember was the shittiest grenade range that I've ever seen. It was a gloomy grey day, and everything was mud. The target area was pocked with large, deep, muddy craters. I couldn't imagine anybody foolish enough to stumble around looking for blinds in that muck.

It was a "bring-your-own-red-flag" range, but nobody in the Squadron was aware of that.

There was only one red fabric item available to us - my Speedo (formal wear at Baggersees, or flooded quarries/gravel pits used for swimming by locals; informal wear was rather less).

It was spattered with mud when it was taken down, and had a few holes in it.

We often went to Baggersees on weekends during Fallexes. The same iced cream truck that showed up at our field locations, sometimes before us, would often be there as well.

Another random weapon memory from Germany - the only non-pistol one . . .

We made a road trip to some Bundeswehr range during Fallex one year. The only thing that I remember was the shittiest grenade range that I've ever seen. It was a gloomy grey day, and everything was mud. The target area was pocked with large, deep, muddy craters. I couldn't imagine anybody foolish enough to stumble around looking for blinds in that muck.

It was a "bring-your-own-red-flag" range, but nobody in the Squadron was aware of that.

There was only one red fabric item available to us - my Speedo (formal wear at Baggersees, or flooded quarries/gravel pits used for swimming by locals; informal wear was rather less).

We often went to Baggersees on weekends during Fallexes. The same iced cream truck that showed up at our field locations, sometimes before us, would often be there as well.
Ya know, there's some military stories that just CAN'T be made up... 😅

I've never met you in person Loachman, and don't get me wrong I'm sure you're a handsome guy n' all...but maybe the other members of your unit were relieved (even ecstatic?) when they saw your red Speedo were no longer suitable for wear!? 😉

Ya know, there's some military stories that just CAN'T be made up... 😅

I've never met you in person Loachman, and don't get me wrong I'm sure you're a handsome guy n' all...but maybe the other members of your unit were relieved (even ecstatic?) when they saw your red Speedo were no longer suitable for wear!? 😉
He never actually said that he stopped wearing it....just that:

No, I never wore it again.

I was much younger and fresher then, and, as I said, Speedos were formal wear at Baggersees (literal translation: "digger lake"). They were very common, especially among many larger and older than I was then, and some wore less.

You would not believe how much stress a string bikini can take.

No, I never wore it again.

I was much younger and fresher then, and, as I said, Speedos were formal wear at Baggersees (literal translation: "digger lake"). They were very common, especially among many larger and older than I was then, and some wore less.

You would not believe how much stress a string bikini can take.

…and a green budgie smuggler was standard CAF issue back in the late-70s and 80s, so red is ‘just a different colour.’ 👍🏼

In the Navy, we used to call the flight decks the 'Green beach' (or Steel beach) and during downtime when folks would go up and work out or suntan up top, there was a rule - "No Grapes on the Beach".

The only folks who broke this on a regular basis by wearing speedos were almost universally franco, and almost always overflowed the outfit in a BAD MENTAL IMAGE way.

In the Navy, we used to call the flight decks the 'Green beach' (or Steel beach) and during downtime when folks would go up and work out or suntan up top, there was a rule - "No Grapes on the Beach".

The only folks who broke this on a regular basis by wearing speedos were almost universally franco, and almost always overflowed the outfit in a BAD MENTAL IMAGE way.
Isn’t the mantra (for nude beaches, but I guess it counts here) “those who do so are the ones you wish didn’t do so”? :sneaky:

That's a Quebec thing: That's how we recognize one another on the beaches of Florida, Virginia or Cuba.
Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

Back