• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Piper's Revenge Challenge to Haligonians

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Guess he has put forward a challenge of sorts......  ;D

RHFC_piper said:
The wife and I are heading to Mahone bay, NS on Tuesday, and will be there until Saturday.  Officially, we're going to be there for a close friends wedding (I'm the best man and the piper), but we want to do some sight seeing while there. 

Mahone Bay looks nice, but we want to spend Friday in Halifax.  We just need to find stuff to do, Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure this thread could be helpful to others who are planning a trip to Halifax....................................................

BTW, for anyone who wants to get together for a pint while we're there, just let me know and I'm sure we could sort something out.

Cheers :cheers: 

By the By, I will have the New pipes with me for this one... as I am piping at a wedding.

Eh! That's a be them figthen words now. None of that you western folk.

Now stand in this line and hold my spot. I need to submit my record of employment for my pogie checks.

RHFC_piper said:
By the By, I will have the New pipes with me for this one... as I am piping at a wedding.

Did you manage to get yourself a new chanter yet?.........im still absolutely devestated for you over the original one!

MP 811 said:
Did you manage to get yourself a new chanter yet?.........im still absolutely devestated for you over the original one!

No... I went back to playing my old polypemco MacCallum chanter.  The nice wood one with the crack in it is now in my little display case to remind me that; wood chanters, although richer in sound and nicer looking, are delicate and must only be played in safe environs... apparently, the Cambridge Highland games do not qualify.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be replacing it.  I really can't think of anywhere I play where it would be completely safe.

Oh well.  At least I had a wood chanter once in my piping life.

Yuck... I could never go back to polypemco. I don't care for the sound. But if it will do you until then, I say have at it.

Regards,
TN2IC

Meh... sounds the same to people who don't know any better.  It's not like I'm competing with the plastic.

But like I said, I don't have much choice... My nice, new, beautiful McCallum wood chanter has a crack from B to F...  I'm not happy.

yeah, you can imagine how I felt when I saw the friggen crack in the chanter.  And there not even my pipes!

Needless to say, my wooden chanter NEVER comes out unless its a special occaision and RHFC_piper is right, to the untrained ear, you cant tell the difference between wooden and poly anyways.

Yeah....  I learned a hard lesson.
I suppose I'll try to pick up a new wood chanter some time down the road... but not any time soon.

I'm going to revamp and old thread because this one seems the only going for Pipers.
Tn, I didn't take you for a piper???  :piper:
Ryan, my Pipie has a wood one with a split and she wrapped it in....duck tape...still has a great sound.

Sooo, here I was watching the Queens Arrival at good ol' Citadel Hill and noticed the Pipe Band...can someone please tell me which band that was???  :piper:
I've been searching the internet for thier hat badge and can't find it amounst the Nova Scotia bands...wouldn't been nice to see the West Dozies or the Hindgrinders at it!!!

It wasn't the 78th or Seaforths (although the deer hatbadge closely resembled it)  Dartmouth combined was mentioned...

Keep the tunes clear...and watch yur doublings...

BYTD 

Hmm, not sure.  The Deer antlers were wider and there was laural leaf or scroll underneath.  I thought first of the 78th, but thier coats were green too. 
It was nice to see the Queen back on Canadian soil without the PM saluting with his single digit... :piper:

BYT Driver said:
Ryan, my Pipie has a wood one with a split and she wrapped it in....duck tape...still has a great sound.

BYTD

I seem to recall a old piper once telling me to fix cracks in wood pieces, specifically drones, with super glue or fingernail hardener... have you ever heard of that?

I would really like to fix up this chanter, since it's a pricy one to replace.  If anyone else has a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Either way, I've actually managed to find some time to get back into practice... even playing with the band for the Canada Day parade in Cambridge. 

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep up with practice now that I have a little one on the way (yes, I'm breeding), and next semester is going to be pretty busy.  I'm going to do my best to get back to a decent playing level.

:piper:

That's okay, mini-pipers are always welcome at our parades and practices.
I haven't heard of nail hardener or polish to fix pipes...me with my vast and extensive experience piping (read about 12 months!!!)
However, that does sound okay from a woodworkers point of view...anyone ???  anyone???  Bueller??

I wouldn't try it until someone with more experience pipes in.....{get it?}

We should get a consensus of pipers here... where you all from and which bands do you play in??

413 Wing AFAC Pipes and Drums.

Was it the 12 WING P&D?

I was on the road, so I didn't get to see.

Now, that I've seen the bands people up close and their hatbadge, I'm pretty sure it was 78th Highalnders of Halifax.  Who, BTW, came second this past weekend at Maxville behind Peel Regional Police and above 78th Fraser Highlanders..(plug in there for 78th...one their pipers is one of our instructors)

:piper:

BYT Driver said:
I haven't heard of nail hardener or polish to fix pipes...me with my vast and extensive experience piping (read about 12 months!!!)
However, that does sound okay from a woodworkers point of view...anyone ???  anyone???  Bueller??

Well here is a woodworkers view...  If the crack is in a tricky spot you can use Gorilla Glue.  Read the directions carefully and only use as directed.
http://www.gorillatough.com/glues/glue-guide.aspx
The original or the first one on the chart.

If it's in an easy to access spot then use cabinet makers glue (yellow wood glue).
http://www.lepage.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=87

Again, follow the directions and you'll be good to go.

Another option if it's in a really tricky spot is a product called chair doctor from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,110&p=30261
Double check the uses and directions on this one as it's designed to swell the wood a little before setting.

Good Luck!

Back