• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Occupy" Movement

E.R. Campbell said:
lethalLemon: your university costs (tuition, books and fees) is cheaper for the average family - when measured as a percentage of average family income - than was the tuition etc for Nemo88 a generation* ago and much cheaper than when I was your age, nearly a half century back.

While neither knowing nor caring about your specific circumstances, most Canadians pay too little for education: directly (through tuition etc) and indirectly through taxes.

Two problems:

1. Too many Canadians borrow for university because their families made choices to satisfy optional 'wants' leaving insufficient funds to buy the "user's share" their children's education - i.e. they bought a 50" flat screen TV when the old 30" CRT still worked well enough rather than saving for their child's tuition.

2. "Free" health care eats up an ever increasing share of provincial budgets. Taxpayers are unwilling to pay more in taxes. Governments cut highly productive spending on R&D and education in order to buy votes pay for less productive health care.

----------
* 20 to even 30 years these days

Still doesn't explain how I will be nearly $42k in debt at the end of my program (in 6 months), when both my parents (separated) don't even make $50k/annum, or own flat screen TVs let alone barely able to afford a vehicle. Not that I really care as they both refused to support me in any way, shape, or form the day I graduated High School all because I wanted to go to a university that wasn't in Calgary. I work 40hrs a week and sometimes only have a 2 hr nap in a period of 3 days in order to pay for my education and still put food in my stomach, and still study book after book and note after note, and still drag myself to classes 6 days a week and There have been months where I eat nothing but bread and water because I can't afford anything else. (my circumstances are even much worse than this, but as you say, nobody cares).

So you can say it's so much easier these days all you want... but how can someone like me who never opened a book even in High School and was pulling A's can't even break C+ in University and I use ANY means to complete the work and test etc necessary (without plagiarism or cheating of course). My program require a minimum B+ in order to graduate, at this rate I'm never going to make it.  Despite my High School honour roll status, I only received one $5000 scholarship which barely covered my first year of University (there's always people with better grades). I am certainly not retarded or lazy as you claim everyone these days are or seem to be.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a dignified Conservative and follow the "What I have worked for and earned is mine, and not for anyone else" mantra, and I rarely ever complain about my situation because I know that hopefully one day, I can be out of this mess, but I still have the right to complain at the end of the day - however I don't go marching out into the streets blaming everyone else for it, or saying that I'd rather suffer through high taxes so that it's all free. If I wanted that, I would have moved to France or Denmark.

Lack of employment? I'm sorry but that's bullshit. There are always companies looking to hire people because there's always someone out there that is short staffed. I guess that these protesting leftist hippies think that working at McDonalds just to survive is beneath them because they can't get paid $100/hr for standing around bragging about how they "were part of the Anti-Vancouver Olympics group, and not the one that used violence either" or text all day. No wonder they have no experience, or a job, or money.

At least you are getting a good education. Some universities have turned into diploma mills. Many people have equated paying 22$ per lecture with a guarantee of a pass. Some professors even get calls from parents saying that with the amount they paid they expect little Susie to pass.

lethalLemon said:
Still doesn't explain how I will be nearly $42k in debt at the end of my program (in 6 months), when both my parents (separated) don't even make $50k/annum, or own flat screen TVs ...

No, it doesn't, but, as I said, I neither know nor care about your individual situation. But Canadians, en masse, don't pay enough, directly or indirectly, for education.

lethalLemon said:
So you can say it's so much easier these days all you want... but how can someone like me who never opened a book even in High School and was pulling A's can't even break C+ in University and I use ANY means to complete the work and test etc necessary (without plagiarism or cheating of course). My program require a minimum B+ in order to graduate, at this rate I'm never going to make it.  Despite my High School honour roll status, I only received one $5000 scholarship which barely covered my first year of University (there's always people with better grades). I am certainly not retarded or lazy as you claim everyone these days are or seem to be.

At the risk of sounding even more cruel or, at least even less caring, go talk to Emmett Hall et al. On the surface - and remember please that I neither know nor care about your individual situation - it appears that the public education system failed to prepare you for real education. Perhaps the high school curriculum is insufficient, perhaps the guidance system encouraged you to follow a path for which you are not well enough suited.

lethalLemon said:
Now don't get me wrong, I am a dignified Conservative and follow the "What I have worked for and earned is mine, and not for anyone else" mantra, and I rarely ever complain about my situation because I know that hopefully one day, I can be out of this mess, but I still have the right to complain at the end of the day - however I don't go marching out into the streets blaming everyone else for it, or saying that I'd rather suffer through high taxes so that it's all free. If I wanted that, I would have moved to France or Denmark.

Good for you, but hardly relevant to education at either the systemic or individual levels.

lethalLemon said:
Lack of employment? I'm sorry but that's bullshit. There are always companies looking to hire people because there's always someone out there that is short staffed. I guess that these protesting leftist hippies think that working at McDonalds just to survive is beneath them because they can't get paid $100/hr for standing around bragging about how they "were part of the Anti-Vancouver Olympics group, and not the one that used violence either" or text all day. No wonder they have no experience, or a job, or money.

Equally off topic.

Let me offer one idea: pay for performance. Imagine a system in which those, but only those who are graded as A students - maybe on a Bell Curve or by some other system that denies professors and schools the option of giving everyone an A - get 100% of tuition book and other fees paid and get a living allowance, too. But such a system would deny further participation in the __[difficult but rewarding]__ programme to those who get less than a B average - those C and below students would be required to try another less demanding (and ultimately less rewarding) career path. Would we reward the "rich," who tend to have parents who support them at home (books and music lessons rather than X boxes) and who also tend to attend better public schools? Yes. Is it worth it? Maybe.

I'm thinking top level, not about individuals, and my concern is national productivity not "happiness."

Best discription I heard of the cost of going to school was from a family friend who went to university in the 1960's.

Back then after working whatever summer jobs he could he came out with a debt equal to his first year's gross income working.

My father who went to school 10 years later than him...same ratio.

And when I went through school 20 years later...same ratio.

So while the dollar sum of the debt is higher it's not out of proportion to that which previous generations have recieved.  The biggest difference I see is that several professions have specialized even further so that your basic degree is no longer enough to get your foot in the door (especially true for several arts program such as psycology) and/or professional accredidation is needed along with the science degrees (P.Eng., RPF, RN etc) to be fully employable.

Anyways, my two cents.

I am a 4th year BBA student, taking 4th year BBA classes. There is another 4th year BBA student in one of my classes that doesn't know the difference between profit and revenue. The questions in this class (Management Science.... what an oxymoron) are usually asking some form of "maximize profit, maximize revenue, minimize costs." So it's quite easy to see he doesn't know the difference between profit and revenue when the question asks for "revenue" and his answers coming back as "profit."

Two reasons I want to bring that story up:

1. I don't want to use one student as an example of "students these days" being unable to think for themselves without it being spoon fed to them, although I will say I see similar examples and similar levels of stupid amongst my peers classmates quite frequently. But even though the prof should have pointed this simple fact to him by now, even though he should not have slipped through the cracks this far, it's so simple and basic that if he wasn't stupid he SHOULD have figured it out on his own by now.

2. Almost every professor he has had has clearly failed him. The university has failed him. He should not have slipped through the cracks this far without knowing the difference, and the university which we pay so much money for as "an investment" has failed us as taxpayers because someone that doesn't know the difference between the two shouldn't be in a 4th year Management Science class, and someone who can't figure it out on their own after 4 years of a BBA program shouldn't be capable of graduating.

lethalLemon said:
yet there are some that showed up for the first class and I only seem them show up for exams and they're pulling A+'s out of their arse. What gives? I'm not retarded or lazy. Explain that?

Using your grades in high school sure as hell isn't proof that you are smart (if they were bad, it's not proof you are stupid either). There are plenty of people that get A+'s throughout high school, and even university, that I would fold the business before I'd hire.

I can promise you that from the perspective of those people that don't go to class that are pulling A+'s, you are "retarded."

lethalLemon said:
Lack of employment? I'm sorry but that's bullshit. There are always companies looking to hire people because there's always someone out there that is short staffed.

The world consists of more than Alberta eh?

Normally I wish for a long and balmy indian summer. Right now however, a good blizzard might change some perspectives.

More on what the OWS people profess to believe:

http://pajamasmedia.com/ronradosh/2011/10/11/occupy-wall-street-and-the-delusions-of-the-left/?print=1

Occupy Wall Street and the Delusions of the Left

Posted By Ron Radosh On October 11, 2011 @ 3:37 pm In Uncategorized | 49 Comments

What strikes me about the Left’s coverage of the Occupy Wall Street movement is the total delusion about its meaning and the scope of its reach. I do not dispute that there is justified grievance about the bailout of the big banks by the Obama administration and the failure to get the economy moving and to create new jobs. But on this score, the OWS shares its estimate with that of the Tea Party, which made cutting the deficit and doing something about our growing entitlements a primary goal.

But where the OWS is different, is in its apparent characterization of itself as radical or revolutionary, terms coming from the utopian and highly unrealistic hopes of its participants. In his column today, David Brooks rightfully writes [1] that they have “nothing to say about education reform, Medicare reform, tax reform, wage stagnation or polarization. They will have nothing to say about the way Americans have overconsumed and overborrowed. These are problems that implicate a much broader swath of society than the top 1 percent,” including the 99 percent they claim to represent. These folks are anything but radical, says Brooks. Their redistributionist claim to pay for everything by taxing the rich at the highest rate possible is a chimera. As he puts it,

Even if you tax away 50 percent of the income of those making between $1 million and $10 million, you only reduce the national debt by 1 percent, according to the Tax Foundation [2]. If you confiscate all the income of those making more than $10 million, you reduce the debt by 2 percent. You would still be nibbling only meekly around the edges.

These protesters may look radical and think of themselves that way, he adds, but the truth is that

its members’ ideas are less radical than those you might hear at your average Rotary Club. Its members may hate capitalism. A third believe the U.S. is no better than Al Qaeda, according to a New York magazine survey [3], but since the left no longer believes in the nationalization of industry, these “radicals” really have no systemic reforms to fall back on.

Brooks takes them a tad too seriously; these protestors are all poseurs, more interested in getting attention than in being serious. They have no sense of the economic reality in which the world lives; hence their magic solution to everything is “tax the rich.”

The truth is that they are would-be revolutionaries who perform for the TV news, which if it went away, would quickly find that the Liberty Park encampment would disappear in one day.

So here are three of my favorite examples of the radical delusion, in all of their multifold patterns:

I: Hendrik Hertzberg’s “Talk of the Town” [4] in the latest New Yorker. Hertzberg is too smart to take the protestors seriously. Taking off from Chairman Mao’s well-known aphorism that a revolution “is not a dinner party,” he writes that the protest is in fact “a dinner party of sorts, albeit one with donated, often organic food served on paper plates,” tea that is of course “mostly herbal,” but no marijuana! New York City, evidently, is not Berkeley, California, circa 1968.

Hertzberg therefore questions “the meaning of it all,” and emphasizes with humor that whatever it amounts to, it has become “one of the city’s most interesting bargain tourist destinations.”  Also, what drew crowds at first was not pure protest, but a false rumor that the mega rock band Radiohead would appear there and play for free!  Yet Hertzberg took heart when “transit workers, teamsters, teachers, communications workers, service employees” all heeded the call of their union leaders and packed the area with 15,000 more people. The dream of the working class making the revolution real still lives.

Yet he understands that OWS does not have a “traditional agenda: a list of ‘demands,’ a set of legislative recommendations, a five-point program.” Of course they don’t. Writing a five-point program takes some work — which clearly these people don’t know how to do. They prefer what he calls “constructive group dynamics,” a feel-good time on the street to real politics. And of course, Hertzberg loves it. He writes:

There’s something oddly moving about a crowd of smart-phone-addicted, computer-savvy people cooperating to create such an utterly low-tech, strikingly human, curiously tribal means of amplification—a literal loudspeaker.

Nevertheless, as a good radical, Hertzberg has hope. The “greed and fraud” that  “precipitated the economic crisis” is now being protested, and that is enough for now. The “Republican right willing and usually able to block any measures…that might relieve the suffering” is being challenged, and for him, that will do for now. I guess Hertzberg does not know about the Community Reinvestment Act, ACORN, the bi-partisan repeal of Glass-Steagall and the Dodd-Frank law — all of which Democrats have supported and which led to the housing bubble and the market collapse. So he sees a great future, as long as it is not hijacked by “a flaky fringe.”

I’ve got news for you, Hertzberg. You were witnessing the flaky fringe in all its glory. But I guess for you, what you saw doesn’t meet the criteria for flaky.

II. Todd Gitlin, one of the old SDS’s first leaders, proclaiming [5] its importance in the Left’s paper of choice, the New York Times.

Somehow, I don’t recall the Times asking a defender of the Tea Party to do an op-ed explaining what they believe and want when the movement first started. I wonder why. Anyway, the good professor of journalism and communications at Columbia, and an early leader of Students for a Democratic Society in the ’60s, has done the job for OWS in its pages.

Gitlin is ecstatic. As he sees it, the chant of “We are the 99 percent” shot “across the bow of the  wealthiest 1 percent of the country.” There might be a similarity with the Tea Party, he acknowledges, but the difference is that of the different goals and “passions that drive them forward.” The Tea Party, he says, is “white, male, Republican, graying, married and comfortable.” How does he know? The only Tea Party people he has seen, I suspect, are those whose images appeared for a fleeting moment on TV. They do not have the “untucked shirts, the tattoos, piercings and dreadlocks,” evidently credentials that are required to prove you are part of the real Left.

The OWS is therefore “nascent and growing,” the proof being the thousands the unions brought down. Yes, Hertzberg too said the same: it must be a necessary point of all Left journalists. So his hope is that in a month the movement will look “quit different,” and become something that will challenge the citadels of power. As he points out, it might be somewhat anarchistic, but “anarchism has been the reigning spirit of left-wing protest movements for nearly the past half century.” Gee. I thought, having read Michael Kazin’s new history of the American Left, the animating spirit was the very non-anarchist American Communist Party, but it seems one has to change the standard to meet today’s anarchistic protest.

Then Gitlin grows nostalgic. He remembers his old days in SDS, when Marxists tried and failed to “define proper class categories for the student movement.” Somehow, my memory is different. Didn’t SDS fall apart when the two different Marxist factions fought it out till one triumphed and took over the group? Didn’t they all support the North Vietnamese Communists and urge them on to victory? I once read a book about this by one Todd Gitlin that understood all that; indeed, I either blurbed or reviewed it at the time. I guess the author forgot what he wrote so many years ago.

Well, Gitlin does admit that the “tiny hierarchies” took over “decisive control” over the New Left. Could it have been any different, when its original members made that fateful decision to admit Communists into their ranks, since the only evil was Red-baiting, and they didn’t want to be accused of that? Yet Gitlin seems to persist in believing that the radicals of his era were “mostly leaderless.” Anyone remember the role of Tom Hayden? Leaderless, indeed.

So Gitlin is enthralled. He is reliving his youth, finding that a new generation is validating his own past, and will soon be making the same mistakes his people made forty years ago. It is the “counterculture,” he writes, and it must be celebrated. So he hopes the “allies” from the trade unions who arrived mid-week will stay firm, and rescue them from their romantic anarchism. This is “what labor and the activist left have been waiting for” since the ’60s. No wonder Gitlin is swooning. The last remaining step is to convince Barack Obama, that compromiser, to move towards “significant reform,” like socialized medicine and redistribution of wealth by government edict. Then we can all be poor together, as we destroy the banks and no money is available to lend to those who want to use funds to build and create corporations and jobs.

Remember, corporations are by nature evil. They are the epitome of capitalism; and if the protest is anything, it is anti-capitalist. If only they can last, Gitlin pines, and come out with “concrete goals, strategies and compromises.” Gitlin is no doubt pining away for a new Michael Harrington to emerge from the ashes, and give this amorphous mass the necessary Marxist content to push forward towards socialism. Until then, it is sufficient, he writes, to refuse “to compromise with this system,” with its “hierarchies of power and money,” and honor anarchy’s “great, lasting contribution.”

Occupy Wall Street, he says, can eventually move movements and “move countries,” but they need leverage. And perhaps centrist liberalism will be moved to adopt what they are demanding.

You get the picture. The revolution has never been closer. And its word can be spread in the pages of the New York Times.

III. And finally, here is the most delusional entry of all. It comes from the pen of a professor of history and rapper who teaches at Fordham University, the ultra-left historian Mark Naison. Now he went as a participant, who took part in “a grade-in organized by teacher-activists,” whatever that is. I assume all the students who went got As for merely showing up at the protest — a real example of today’s learning in the universities.

Finding them very “international,” Naison felt like he was in Berlin or Barcelona. Did he forget Greece? Clearly, even more than Gitlin, the revolution had arrived for Comrade Naison. He writes:

I felt like I was in the midst of the global youth community that I had seen emerging during my travels and teaching, but I had not expected to see at this particular protest.  It definitely made the discipline, determination and camaraderie of the protesters that much more impressive.

Well, if bong smoking and topless women protesters are the mark of a really genuine revolution, I guess he is right. Suddenly, Naison had a sense of déjà vu. It all seemed very familiar. As he explains:

The longer I stayed at Liberty Plaza, the more it felt like the countercultural communities of the 1960s, where discontent with war and a corrupt social system had bred a communal spirit marked by incredible generosity and openness to strangers.

I don’t know what revolution he played at in those turbulent times, but I recall a hostility to anyone who was against us, as in, i.e., “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.” So if you were not part of the revolutionary vanguard who was willing to risk your life for the class struggle, you were part of the sell-out bourgeois brigades who talked the talk but would not walk the walk. It was the opposite of generosity and openness, especially to strangers, who might turn out to be FBI agents. But I guess Naison has forgotten all about the dark side of the movement he now idealizes as he remembers his young radical past.

Now, Naison really waxes ecstatic and becomes truly delusional:

I had feared those days would never return—erased by decades of consumerism, materialism and cheap electronic devices—but when I visited Liberty Plaza, I realized that the global economic crisis had recreated something which I often thought of as an artifact of my own nostalgia.  Because right here in New York were hundreds of representatives of a whole generation of educated young people around the world, numbering tens if not hundreds of millions, who might never land in the secure professional jobs they had been promised or experience the cornucopia of material goods that came with them.  Described as a “lost generation” by economists, a critical mass of these young people, in cities throughout Europe and Latin America—and now right here in the United States—had decided to build community in the midst of scarcity, challenge consumerism and the profit motive, and call out the powerful financial interests whose speculation and greed had helped put them in the economic predicament they were in.

Cheap electronic devices? Did he not go to the Liberty Plaza media center, with its expensive generators so those bloggers would not depend on running their laptops on battery power, and see all those Macs, iPhones, iPads and state of the art PCs? Cheap? Perhaps he did not wish to inquire what corporations made these products, what their stock was selling for on the market he despises, or ask how these poor, unemployed protestors could afford all this stuff? Anyway, Mark, I have news for you. It ain’t cheap!

Tens of millions? Where does he get his figures from? And obviously, they cherish their “material goods,” even if they pretend not to. He is happy to see them challenging the profit motive and consumerism. I wonder if Professor Naison, in his own life, is really so immune to these?

Somehow, I doubt it.

And so the communist-socialist dream lives in Naison’s take on Liberty Plaza. He hopes they will unite with the minorities, the workers and the immigrants, creating that all-class alliance they hoped for in the ’60s that would produce the socialism that until now has eluded them.

And speaking of illusions, he asks: “Can the protesters connect with the people in poor or working-class neighborhoods who were already practicing communalism and mutual aid to create a truly multiracial, multiclass movement?” Pray tell. What neighborhoods is he talking about? I suspect that multiclass movement exists in his own head, and is in fact part of the “artifact of… nostalgia” he writes about in the beginning of his article.

The “global youth counter-culture,” Naison concludes, is part of what he sees as part of a “global movement for freedom, democracy, and economic justice.” It’s all so very simple. Protest, take to the streets, bring down the banks and the corporations, and Nirvana will finally arrive.

On my way from a dentist appointment today, I saw a sign on a lamppost: “Occupy Wall Street: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.” That I recall was a slogan from a famous poem written decades ago, I think, by the late Gil-Scott Heron. But in fact, it is being televised, which is one reason it is not a revolution. So I suggest to the media they leave their cameras home. How many nights can we see the same crowds, the same scenes, the same incoherent ramblings of phony rebels? Take them away, and they will soon go back home.

So the Revolution will fade away, and 30 years hence, its few stalwarts can write op-eds about how they were there when it really counted, and bemoan the fact that the socialist future once again eluded them, and hope that in the mid 21st century, it might occur, if only the spirit of Liberty Plaza could be resurrected.
(Thumbnail on PJM homepage based on modified Shutterstock.com [6] image.)

Also read: “Occupy L.A. Speaker: Violence Will Be Necessary To Achieve Our Goals” [7]

Article printed from Ron Radosh: http://pajamasmedia.com/ronradosh

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/ronradosh/2011/10/11/occupy-wall-street-and-the-delusions-of-the-left/

URLs in this post:

[1] writes: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/opinion/the-milquetoast-radicals.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

[2] according to the Tax Foundation: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/27556.html

[3] according to a New York magazine survey: http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/topic/occupy-wall-street-2011-10/

[4] “Talk of the Town”: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/10/17/111017taco_talk_hertzberg

[5] proclaiming: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/occupy-wall-street-and-the-tea-party.html?_r=1&sq=Todd%20Gitlin&st=cse&scp=2&pagewanted=all

[6] Shutterstock.com: http://www.shutterstock.com/

[7] “Occupy L.A. Speaker: Violence Will Be Necessary To Achieve Our Goals”: http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/10/11/occupy-l-a-speaker-violence-will-be-necessary-to-achieve-our-goals/

Interesting and, I think, well balanced take on OWS which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/10/13/jonathan-kay-on-occupy-wall-street-its-a-symptom-of-something-serious/
Jonathan Kay on Occupy Wall Street: It’s a symptom of something serious

Jonathan Kay

Oct 13, 2011

There’s a popular YouTube video called “Occupy Atlanta Silences Civil Rights Hero John Lewis!” that’s making the rounds of the Internet this week. It shows a group of left-wing activists using hand signals and call-and-response chants as they try to decide whether or not to let a friendly politician address their assembly. After a few minutes of surreal deliberations, the bewildered Congressman wanders off. At last count, the video had 400,000 hits.

This is the impression that many Canadians have of the Occupy Wall Street-inspired protests, which now have come to Toronto under the banner of “Occupy Bay Street”: Confused hippies re-enacting their parents’ and grandparents’ 1960s-vintage koombaya bonding and protest theatre. It all seems absurd and easily mockable.

But laughing off the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement would be a mistake. Many people made fun of Tea Party protests at first, too — what with the tricorne hats and occasionally misspelled signs — until those tricorne voters started deciding who got elected to Congress.

The OWS tactics may seem juvenile and occasionally grotesque (one oft-circulated image seems to show a man defecating on a police car). But as with the Tea Party, on the opposite end of the political spectrum, OWS speaks to an American electorate that is largely disgusted with its elites and desperate for some alternative, any alternative, to conventional party politics. Barack Obama’s plunging poll numbers, combined with the GOP’s surreal presidential gong show, demonstrate that alienation and cynicism are sucking the life out of American democracy, which in turn hobbles Washington’s ability to deal with the country’s massive structural problems. That’s not a laughing matter.

OWS activists’ attempts to compare themselves with the Arab Spring are overblown: Protesters in Egypt, Bahrain, Syria and elsewhere risk their lives, not just arrest. But there is a grain of truth in the comparison: In North America, no less than the Middle East, street movements take root when people feel ignored by institutional politics — a prime example being the anti-globalization protesters of the Chrétien and Clinton eras, a time during which all major political parties tended to embrace free trade.

On this front, the Tea Party and OWS actually have a lot of common ground. Both movements are full of people (including Tea Party hero Ron Paul) who oppose America’s involvement in costly foreign wars when the United States is going bankrupt at home. Both groups are disgusted with the Wall Street pig trough that has been slopped up by the Bush and Obama administrations alike. And both groups want to see a tax code and fiscal policy that isn’t larded up with backdoor special-interest tax breaks and earmarks.

On the latter two issues, in particular, the majority reform-minded view of American citizens has been completely swamped by the institutional interests of the GOP and Democratic establishments and their bagmen, with the result that the frustrated majority has been pushed toward the dissident fringes we now know of as the Tea Party and OWS. The two groups differ radically on the solution America needs: The former wants to shrink government, the latter wants to reform it and radically expand its wealth-redistribution function to favour the poor and young. But both agree that Washington in its current state serves an elite that is corrupt, avaricious and even unAmerican.

In response to OWS, conservative pundits have expended much rhetoric in explaining how the Tea Party is more principled and intelligent. But this seems to miss the larger points that both movements are making: (1) that you cannot run a successful economy that benefits ordinary citizens if up to 40% of corporate profits are funneled into government-backstopped financial entities that do little productive work except manage speculative investments; (2) that America cannot be a beacon of freedom abroad if it cannot afford to create a functional society at home; and (3) that America’s campaign-finance system, 24-hour news cycle, and dysfunctional legislatures have yielded a paralyzed political system in which politicians are incapable of tackling existential national problems such as unsustainable entitlement programs, crumbling infrastructure and 13-figure deficits.

As Canadians, we have the luxury of watching all of this unfold from afar (even if some copycat protesters are bringing the same act to our own cities). Rather than sneer, we should appreciate the fact that our politics have not — yet — degenerated to the level where masses of ordinary people on both sides of the spectrum feel that their only political outlet is on the street.

National Post

I find this the most reasonable analysis yet.

Both movements share some common ground, but there is a difference between working within the system to change it and having a temper tantrum.  I would rather see a repeat of the American Revolution than the French one (the first one, I mean).

The discussioon about education tweaked my interest in this post:

http://www.transparencyrevolution.com/2011/10/degree-required/

Degree Required?
Posted on October 13, 2011 by Phil

There’s a great scene in the movie The Right Stuff where the space program guys show up at Edwards Air Force Base to recruit astronauts. They explain to the Edwards liaison officer that they’re not interested in talking to Chuck Yeager, the man who broke the sound barrier and who has been “at the top of the pyramid” for years. (Yeager never went to college.) The liaison officer is shocked. “You don’t want to talk to our best pilot?”

It’s not like that, they explain. We want to talk to the best pilots who fit the profile.

George Lenard has some interesting thoughts on Career Options without a College Degree. He cites a fairly depressing New York Times article from earlier this year which I somehow missed, in which we read that “only half of the jobs landed by … new graduates even require a college degree, reviving debates about whether higher education is ‘worth it’ after all.”

This got me wondering about why some jobs require a college degree and others don’t. You need to achieve a certain level of education (and be appropriately certified) to practice law or medicine, or (in many places) to work as an architect or an engineer, at least to do so in an official capacity.

(Engineering is interesting to me because my grandfather, who would have turned 100 next year, worked as an engineer at a company that manufactured grain silos, as well as shell casings during World War II. He never went to college. I doubt that can be said for many people with the job title “engineer,” these days. Just as I doubt that there are very many Chuck Yeagers out there working as test pilots without having gone to college.)

On the other hand, you don’t need to have gone to college  in order to be movie star or a baseball player, or a blogger for that matter. We all noted last week that Steve Jobs was a college drop-out, like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. There might be a case to be made that entrepreneurs do better without college degrees.

If you go far enough back in time, there were no jobs that required a “college degree” per se. Abraham Lincoln was a self-taught lawyer, and most of us are fine with that. But few of us (I would guess) want to return to a time of non-credentialed doctors who offered hair-cutting and “bleeding” as part of their services.

There is clearly a line between certification that protects the public by ensuring (or attempting to ensure) a certain level of quality of service in highly sensitive areas, and certification that is required by employers simply because…well, everybody else requires it. Have we gone too far with that second kind of certification?

That was apparently part of Peter Thiel’s thinking a while back when he put a program in place to encourage young people to drop out of college. The idea that people might have more to offer, and might go farther in life, by not going to college than by going is downright subversive. Or is it?

The assumption that one needs a college degree to get ahead in life is looking more vulnerable than it has in a long time. It will be interesting to see whether challenges to that assumption lead to a rethink of what is truly required in order to perform certain jobs. More interesting still will be to see what new practices emerge to ensure quality of service beyond or outside of the current “degree = qualified” paradigm.

About Phil

Phil Bowermaster thinks, writes, and talks about emerging technologies, emerging possibilities, and the future. He brings 20+ years of management experience in the telecom and software industries to bear on opinion and analysis about how transparency is truly revolutionizing the way organizations are run. Phil is the Chief Futurist and Strategy Guy for Zapoint.

Listening to interviews tonight.....the mantra they are espousing is economic justice, but from anything I am hearing it boils down to "I am entitled to my entitlements "

"But at least" .... "BUT AT LEAST"

"You got to hear it" ..... "YOU GOT TO HEAR IT"

"Twice" ..... "TWICE"

I suppose I could add some snark here, but the article speaks for itself so eloquently:

http://www.therightsphere.com/2011/10/donate-to-help-needy-boston-residents-hurt-by-the-%E2%80%98occupy%E2%80%99-protests/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Donate to Help Needy Boston Residents Hurt by the ‘Occupy’ Protests
Posted by Brandon Kiser in Blog, Featured on October 13, 2011 7:32 pm / 11 comments

Since ‘Occupy Boston’ has forced the cancellation of the Greenway Mobile Food Fest, The Right Sphere is trying to raise $1,000 for the Greater Boston Food Bank, which was supposed to benefit from that event. Please consider donating as little as $1, $5 or $10 to the Greater Boston Food Bank to help defray the Occupy movement’s damage to Boston’s nonprofits and to to show that we can put our money where our mouth is and support the needy in Boston. You can do so using the button below. We understand that times are tough, so if you are unable to donate at this time, you can still help by sending this to others and posting this on any social media platforms you may use.

The media are beginning to report on the effect of the protests:

On top of it all, and on a serious note, the Food Fest was going to be a collection point for a Greater Boston Food Bank canned food drive. It might have been a nice opportunity for the Occupy people to curry some favor with the general public: show up in large numbers and flood the donation barrels with cans of food. Instead, the food bank is left without a high-traffic event to gather much-needed goods.’

This presents a unique opportunity for conservatives or anyone else bothered by these events. So hit the donate button below and give what you can to help out the needy in the Boston area!

Another interesting assessment of the OWS movement in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/chrystia-freeland/wall-street-protesters-need-to-find-their-sound-bite/article2200223/
Wall Street protesters need to find their ‘sound bite’

CHRYSTIA FREELAND
From Friday's Globe and Mail

Last updated Friday, Oct. 14, 2011

On a drizzly evening in Zuccotti Park this week, where the Occupy Wall Street protesters are camped out, I spotted one young man wearing a T-shirt with an image of Ronald Reagan and the words “Bad Religion.”

It was the right outfit for the occasion. That’s because the greatest significance of the wave of leftist demonstrations that started in Lower Manhattan and has rippled across the United States is the potential challenge it poses to the Reagan Revolution.

The triumph of Reaganism and the doctrine of small-l liberalism over the past 30 years was remarkable. In the U.S. and Britain, taxes shrank; regulation, especially of the financial sector, was pruned back; state companies were sold off. Soviet Communism collapsed; China converted to capitalism and entered the world economy. Emerging-market economies in Latin America and Africa embraced liberalization as the path to growth.

“The ideology drove everything that happened in the next 30 years,” said Branko Milanovic, a World Bank economist and author of The Haves and the Have-Nots. “Deng Xiaoping captured it best: ‘To get rich is glorious.’ ”

The biggest beneficiaries of the global economic boom were some of the world’s poorest people. Shaohua Chen and Martin Ravallion of the World Bank found that between 1981 and 2005, the number of people living in poverty in the developing world fell by 500 million. The West prospered as well, with relatively consistent economic growth over the past 30 years.

But something else was happening, too: a sharp increase in income inequality. Although it has been most striking in the U.S. and China, income inequality has grown in most developed countries.

“What we now call the Reagan Revolution was a turning point in the American economy,” said Jacob Hacker, a political science professor at Yale University in Connecticut. “These patterns of rising inequality were established then.”

Economists have been pointing out the growing gap for a decade. But, particularly in the U.S., the increasingly skewed distribution didn’t catch fire as a political issue. One reason is suggested by University of Chicago economist Raghuram Rajan in his 2010 book Fault Lines – that the credit bubble of the 1990s and 2000s masked the stagnating wages of the American middle class.

The 2008 financial crisis ended that self-deception. While the U.S. middle class is still in the doldrums, the top 1 per cent has largely recovered, thanks in part to muscular intervention by the state. That’s why the taboo on talking about income distribution is lifting, particularly in Zuccotti Park.

“ ‘Class warfare’ has seldom had much traction in American politics because Americans tend to idealize the ‘free market’ as a separate sphere of life, with its own [rough] justice,” Larry Bartels, a political science professor at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee and author of Unequal Democracy, wrote in an e-mail reply to my questions.

“Escalating inequality and the wreckage of the Great Recession may now be focusing increasing anger on that top sliver – especially bankers, who are, conveniently, prominently implicated in the malfeasance that led to the financial meltdown of 2008 and [still] immensely rich.”

But the left shouldn’t declare victory just yet. The middle-class anger is also being harnessed by the right, and with greater and more focused political effect. Consider the remarks this week by Tea Party heroine Sarah Palin. In a speech in Seoul, she railed against “crony capitalism,” complaining that “well-connected banks get bailed out” and “certain companies get special deals through governments.”

Her remedy is to double down on the Reagan Revolution – to lower taxes and shrink government further. The standard prescription of Progressives – higher taxes, more regulation, a stronger social welfare net, more investment in education – may be sensible. But it lacks the rallying power of Ms. Palin’s call to smash crony capitalism by depriving the elites of their political tool – big government.

Even the protesters in Zuccotti Park know their populist movement has found its complaint – “We are the 99 per cent” – but not its remedy. After a lecture about income inequality delivered on the square by Sara Burke, a policy analyst at a New York research organization, one listener said she was keen to “educate” people about the issue. But she wanted Ms. Burke’s help with something: “What’s my sound bite?”

The politician who answers that question will be the Reagan of the left.

A problem (The problem?) for the inchoate left is that they cannot express the problem much less the solution, in clear, simple terms. Reagan could and did; he offered:

1. Stop, then lower the growth of government spending;
2. Reduce marginal income tax rates;
3. Reduce regulation; and
4. Control the money supply to reduce inflation.

People could understand, after a fashion, and support that; even those who could not really grasp the implications understood that Reagan had a plan and they got behind him.

I might, did, as I recall, argue with both 3. and part of 4. But that didn't mean that I didn't want Reagan to succeed.

There are some skilled "communicators" in the "Occupy _______" movement:

WEB-occupy-flag_1329195cl-8.jpg

(Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images)

The main difference between Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney and most people who talk about the "Occupy" movement is that Carney is smart.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act fro the Globe and Mail are Carney's comments:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/bank-of-canada-head-calls-occupy-protests-entirely-constructive/article2202064/
Bank of Canada head calls Occupy protests 'entirely constructive'

JEREMY TOROBIN
OTTAWA— Globe and Mail Update

Published Friday, Oct. 14, 2011

The Occupy Wall Street demonstrations and other expressions of frustration with the global economic and financial system highlight the need for policy makers to show they are serious about forcing change, Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney says.

In a television interview, Mr. Carney acknowledged that the movement is an understandable product of the ``increase in inequality’’ – particularly in the United States – that started with globalization and was thrust into sharp relief by the worst downturn since the Great Depression, which hit the less well-educated and blue-collar segments of the population hardest.

"You’ve had a big increase in the ratio of CEO earnings to workers on the shop floor,’’ Mr. Carney said, according to a transcript of the interview with Peter Mansbridge of CBC News, parts of which aired on Friday evening. "And then on top of that, a financial crisis.’’

But Mr. Carney – a former Goldman Sachs Co. investment banker – suggested that while he understands the frustration, some of it is rooted in an overly pessimistic view of policy makers’ resolve to make it harder for financial firms to take the sort of risks that led to the meltdown of 2008 and the brutal recession that followed.

“There’s a frustration with policy and a frustration that, `are things going back to business as usual,’’’ Mr. Carney said in the interview. ``If I may say, that is not going to happen, but I can understand the frustrations.’’

Demonstrations like the Occupy Wall Street protests, which will hit Canadian cities this weekend, are a “democratic expression of views’’ and “entirely constructive,’’ Mr. Carney said.

“It makes it more tangible, the challenges that that economy is facing, and it makes it more important to demonstrate success on issues such as financial reform,’’ he said.

The words that Mr. Carney applies to the civil disruption carry extra weight because the Harper government is pushing for him to become the next chairman of the Financial Stability Board (FSB), a group charged with co-ordinating the overhaul of international banking regulations. There is widespread fear that, the more time that passes, the tougher it will be to muster political enthusiasm for reforms, against which the financial industry is lobbying furiously.

Mr. Carney has been a fierce critic of the industry backlash and has vowed to counter it.

Asked whether he would accept the part-time job if it were offered, Mr. Carney said yes, although it would be on top of his main role at the Bank of Canada. The new chairman will be named early next month at the Group of 20 leaders’ summit in France.

Mr. Carney – currently in Paris with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and other G20 policy makers working on the latest reform proposals – expressed confidence in the outcome of the push to make banks hold more capital in reserve and to find ways to allow big banks to fail if they get themselves into trouble instead of showering them with taxpayer-funded bailouts.

"We can start to show real tangible progress on issues like that,’’ he said. “From my part of the world, what we can do is those reforms that are going to change the game for Wall Street, for Bay Street, for the way that the financial system functions to make it like any other business.’’

Earlier Friday, the Occupy Wall Street movement got a boost when the owners of a private park in lower Manhattan where protesters have camped out for a month postponed a planned clean-up.

Demonstrators were scrambling to clean the park themselves, fearing that the official effort was an excuse to kick them out. Union members and other supporters of the protesters had started pouring into the plaza near the heart of the U.S. financial industry in the early morning to show their solidarity.

The movement has spread to at least 70 U.S. cities and will reach at least 15 Canadian cities this weekend. Still, whether it will turn out to be North America’s Tahrir Square or just an exercise remains to be seen. Leaderless and without a clear set of demands, the occupiers are a loosely based coalition of activists and ordinary citizens with a rough goal of addressing growing inequality between rich and the poor. (One of the movement’s most popular messages is that one per cent of the U.S. population holds 40 per cent of the wealth.)

Joseph Heath, author of The Rebel Sell, a critique of modern counter-culture, warned both the Canadian and U.S. movements are likely to fail.

“To sustain this kind of movement, you have to have a feeling there’s a capacity to change things,” he said. “A bunch of protestors are not going to stop banks from being greedy.”

The protesters can take some solace knowing that Mr. Carney – whose reform-minded stand has already put him at odds with powerful titans of the banking world like Jamie Dimon, chief executive officer of JPMorgan Chase & Co. – hopes to do just that.

With reports from Anita Elash in Toronto and Associated Press

Hmm.

Here are some people the OWS crowd "should" be protesting; but who do these people fund in the political arena?

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=46849

Fair Share Alert: Obama’s Top Solyndra Crony Claimed Zero Income
by John Hayward (more by this author)
Posted 10/14/2011 ET

There’s a lot of talk about making the Evil Rich pay their “fair share” these days.  President Obama wants us to be very angry at the spectacle of billionaires escaping from confiscatory tax rates.  For some reason, he never uses the very pertinent example of his good friend, top contributor, and Solyndra crony George Kaiser – who, judging by the amount of money we were all compelled to give him, is unquestionably The Most Important Man In America.

It’s too bad Obama never rails against Kaiser, because the well-connected Oklahoma billionaire reported zero taxable income during five years of his rise to the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans.  In another year, he claimed on $11,699 in taxable income, which works out to $5.62 per hour.

Bill Allison of the Sunlight Foundation reports that Kaiser has not exactly been bursting with enthusiasm to pay his “fair share” over the years:

In addition to Solyndra, the George Kaiser Family Foundation has investments worth hundreds of millions in energy firms, most of them in the oil and gas industry. The Washington Post reported that, in 2005, Senate investigators focused on the tax implications of the foundation, whose assets at the end of 2009 had grown to nearly $4 billion. GKFF has averaged more than $194 million a year in income from those assets over the last five years and issued grants that averaged about $53 million a year--or just 1.7 percent of its net assets.

That wasn't the first time Kaiser caught the attention of government tax officials. In 1997, the Internal Revenue Service sent Kaiser and his companies tax bills for more than $72 million in back taxes, interest and penalties, covering individual and corporate returns filed from 1986 to 1992. Kaiser filed returns showing his personal income averaging negative $860,000 between 1986 and 1991; his holding company, GBK Corp., and its subsidiaries reported an aggregate loss from 1989 to 1992 of $507,000--some years it made money and paid taxes, others it claimed losses and paid none.

As Allison stresses, none of this was illegal.  Kaiser was just doing precisely what Obama’s entire re-election campaign is premised on portraying as a moral horror: taking advantage of perfectly legal deductions and loopholes to shelter his immense fortune from taxation.

The IRS challenged some of these techniques, and hit Kaiser with a bill for $24 million in back taxes.  He fought them tooth and nail.  The government eventually settled for $3.7 million, or 15 cents on the dollar.  Does that sound consistent with Democrat Party rhetoric?

That rhetoric isn’t just coming from the President who received so much campaign support from Kaiser, and rewarded him by pouring $535 million of taxpayer money into Kaiser’s absurd Solyndra boondoggle.  Kaiser himself claims to be on board with the whole “Buffett Rule” concept, as quoted in Forbes:

I agree wholeheartedly that our tax system is insufficiently progressive. I also agree that the estate tax at levels above $10 million should be retained. Higher tax rates for higher levels of income [up to at least 50%, maybe higher] not only are socially responsible but also would encourage more charitable giving.

Kaiser must have experienced a massive change of heart since the days he was claiming zero taxable income while amassing his billion-dollar fortune.  That’s part of the fraud behind these “raise-my-taxes billionaires”: they’ve already got theirs.  They don’t mind throwing their weight behind schemes to soak the income of others, because they’re sitting on treasure vaults filled with assets.

Speaking of Buffett, he talks a lot about raising the taxes of others, but fights like a demon to avoid paying his own, and seems curiously unwilling to voluntarily donate his vast fortune to the wise politicians he claims to admire.  After hearing the sad story of how billionaires are paying lower taxes than Buffett’s secretary once too often, Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS) wrote an open letter to the Sage of Omaha, inviting him to put his tax returns where his mouth is:

The "Buffett Rule" – as it is called – uses your anecdote to shape an entire nation's tax policy. Given the use of your name and your story as the guiding force for the President's policy prescription, it is my hope that the evidence to justify such a change in policy will soon be available for public review.

Not only is your story contrary to publicly-available data about tax rates, but it seems like you are comparing apples to oranges. If you are paying a lower tax rate than your secretary, it is only logical to assume that the bulk of your income is from capital gains and other investments rather than ordinary income. Regardless of the rate you pay for these sources of income, you are certainly paying a great deal more in taxes than nearly all Americans as a result of this income. Perhaps the assertion about paying a lower rate in taxes than your secretary is true, but it is certainly misleading.

The simplest way to substantiate your claim is to publicly disclose your tax returns as soon as possible so that policymakers, and the American people who elect them, can properly determine their veracity. If you were to come before any Congressional Committee and testify, any Member of Congress would ask for the evidence to back up your claim – under oath.

(Emphases mine.)  Huelskamp later sweetened the deal by offering to release his own personal tax returns at the same time.  Buffett did not rise to meet this challenge.  While he was eventually willing to disclose his adjusted gross income of $62,855,038 and taxable income of $39,814,784 in a letter to Huelskamp, he won't release his full returns.  He said he doesn’t think there’s much to learn from Rep. Huelskamp’s tax returns, but he’d think about making his public domain if media mogul Rupert Murdoch does, too.

“What would be useful would be to get more of the rich to publish their returns,” Buffett wrote to Huelskamp.  “After the Wall Street Journal suggested I publish my return, I stated that I would be happy to do so the next morning if their boss – Rupert Murdoch, one of my ultra-rich colleagues – would similarly make his return available.  If you could get other ultra-rich Americans to publish their returns along with mine, that would be very useful to the tax dialogue and intelligent reform.”

Of course, Rupert Murdoch isn’t the one calling for other people’s taxes to be raised – or, more to the point, cheerfully lending his name to a desperate liberal politician’s scheme to tax the hell out of small businessmen who only make $250,000 per year.

Warren Buffett’s personal idea of the “Buffett Rule,” as he has quietly explained to the rare interviewer who directly quizzes him about it, would be an alternative minimum tax applying to people who make tens of millions of dollars.  He has said he only thinks about fifty thousand people in the entire country would fit into this group, and he explicitly stated that millionaire athletes and TV stars don’t make enough money to qualify.

That’s a far cry from Barack Obama’s hunger to raise taxes on people who earn low six-figure incomes, but Buffett doesn’t mind lending his name to Obama’s tax grab.  He has said Obama’s people didn’t even discuss their agenda with him before appropriating his name, but he didn’t seem very upset about it.

Huelskamp said he was “disappointed” by Buffet’s refusal to come clean about his tax avoidance strategies.  “By sheltering millions of dollars of income from taxation, probably through charitable giving, Mr. Buffett demonstrates that he doesn’t trust Washington with his own money either,” the Congressman pointed out.

Bingo.  The Democrat agenda is based on the notion that refusing to pay high taxes is immoral, because the government is better able to spend money than the people who earned it, and the public good has a greater moral claim on every dollar than individual ambition.  Leaving the Buffett Rule aside, even the existing Alternative Minimum Tax is premised on the idea that using too many legal deductions to shelter too much income – in full compliance with our incredibly complex body of tax law – is unethical.

According to that reasoning, George Kaiser, Warren Buffett, and other billionaire Democrat Party stalwarts are to be condemned for refusing to hand over their incomes voluntarily.  Kaiser monopolized an awful lot of government resources in the process of beating the IRS down to accepting fifteen cents on the dollar for his back taxes.  If these people just handed over their millions, as they expect others to meekly hand over their thousands, the government would be able to dedicate more of its attention to vital tasks, such as cranking out “green” jobs at five million bucks a pop.

Either you believe that everyone has a moral right to earn as much as they can, and pay as little tax on those earnings as possible, or you believe that no one does.  Or… you believe the answer to that question depends on which Party identification card the billionaire in question carries in his wallet.

John Hayward is a staff writer for HUMAN EVENTS, and author of the recently published Doctor Zero: Year One. Follow him on Twitter: Doc_0. Contact him by email at jhayward@eaglepub.com.

More on how OWS "thinks":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576629060988023464.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion

The Truth About Advertising
College know-it-all hippies lead the left hilariously astray.

By JAMES TARANTO

They call themselves Krugman's Army, but they're really just college know-it-all hippies: "See, the corporations are trying to turn you into little Eichmanns so that they can make money." "The corporations run the entire world, and now they've fooled you into working for them." "We just spent our first semester in college. The professors opened our eyes. The government is using its corporate ties to make you sell magazines so they can get rich." Or, as former Enron adviser Herr Doktor Professor General Paul Krugman himself puts it, "these people" are "destroying the world."

The New York Times Co., the corporation that employs Herr Doktor Professor General Krugman to help sell newspapers, has invited one of those eye-opening professors to expound on the ideas that animate the college know-it-all hippies. His name is Gary Gutting, he teaches philosophy at Notre Dame, and he makes the following claim:

Corporations are a particular threat to truth, a value essential in a democracy, which places a premium on the informed decisions of individual citizens. The corporate threat is most apparent in advertising, which explicitly aims at convincing us to prefer a product regardless of its actual merit.
Gutting goes on to argue that it is even more insidious for corporations to try to influence "debates over public policy," apparently oblivious to the irony that, under the aegis of the New York Times Co., he is doing just that.

SouthParkStudios.com
College know-it-all hippies

But Gutting's throwaway line about advertising was what got our attention, for it reveals more than we suspect he realizes. For one thing, it reveals that he has fallen short of the assignment the Times gave him, which is to "apply critical thinking." A moment of critical thinking applied to his description of advertising shows it to be nonsense.

It is at best an overgeneralization to say that advertising "aims at convincing us to prefer a product regardless of its actual merit." It is ludicrous to say, as Gutting does, that it explicitly does so. To see why, consider a familiar slogan of a well-known media company: "All the news that's fit to print." A Gutting-style slogan, by contrast, would be something along the lines of "Biased and poorly written. Subscribe today!"

In reality, advertising seeks to persuade consumers of a product's merits. Often, as in the case of "All the news that's fit to print," these merits are intangible--status, image, reputation. Although Gutting isn't clear on this point, we gather he means to draw a distinction between such intangibles and "actual merits," which can be quantified or at least described in concrete qualitative terms.

Related Video

James Taranto on Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.'s comment comparing Republican opposition to Obama's jobs bill to the Confederacy.

But there's nothing deceptive about trading on status, image or reputation. If the company in our example fails to deliver "all the news that's fit to print," its customers will figure it out for themselves and take their business to a competitor. Those who fail to do so are only fooling themselves.

Of course some advertising is deceptive or fraudulent, but commercial speech is subjected to considerable consumer-protection regulation. By contrast, freedom of political speech in America is nearly absolute. That is as it should be, but it also means you are much more likely to get a bill of goods when you vote for a political candidate than when you buy a car or a box of cereal.

What we find fascinating, however, is the degree to which the left seems to be mesmerized by what it views as the dark arts of advertising and public relations. Progressives imagine that advertising works the way Gutting describes it, that their political opponents use the same techniques as commercial corporations, and that their side will enjoy political success if only it learns to do the same.

When that doesn't work, they really get confused. A hilarious example comes from Bob Cesca, a "media producer" who writes for the Puffington Host:

When I heard President Obama announce The American Jobs Act, I mistakenly thought the Republicans wouldn't dare vote against "American jobs."
For the first time, the Democrats had come up with a title for a bill that borrowed the successful Republican tactic of naming legislation in a way that makes it politically impossible to vote against. You probably remember some of the good ones. The Republicans aggressively triple-dog-dared members of Congress to vote against the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act. After all, who would be idiotic enough to go on record as having voted against the "USA" and "patriotism", especially when it's shouted in all-caps during the aftermath of 9/11? . . .

There it was. The American Jobs Act.

The Republicans didn't just vote against "American jobs," they literally filibustered them. . . .
The ultimate irony here is that, despite it all, the Republicans have a solid chance of winning the White House next year. Obviously they're counting on the collective attention deficit disorder of the American voter who will naturally forget about how the Senate Republicans filibustered the American Jobs Act.

To put it more concisely, the Democrats were counting on the voters to be stupid enough to clamor for Stimulus Jr. because the Democrats had named it "American Jobs Act." But their plan may be undone because the voters are even more stupid and will have forgotten all this a year from now.

We'd venture to say that the opposite is true: Having seen the so-called Recovery Act squander hundreds of billions without producing a recovery, voters are smart enough not to fall for that obvious ploy again.

Another example comes from London's Independent, where NASA global warmist James Hansen complains that, as the paper puts it, "climate sceptics are winning the argument with the public over global warming":

Part of the problem, he said, was that the climate sceptic lobby employed communications professionals, whereas "scientists are just barely competent at communicating with the public and don't have the wherewithal to do it."

The result was, he said, that in recent years "a gap has opened between what is understood about global warming by the relevant scientific community, and what's known by the people who need to know--and that's the public. However there's nothing that has happened to reduce our scientific conclusion that we are pushing the system into very dangerous territory, in fact that conclusion has become stronger over that same time period."
In truth--as exemplified by this very article--most news media uncritically accept the authority of the so-called climate scientists. But perhaps people are skeptical because they can see past this empty appeal to authority; because they understand that skepticism is essential, not contrary, to science, and because the global warmists' claims have not been consistent over time. Here's a 1988 New York Times story:

The earth has been warmer in the first five months of this year than in any comparable period since measurements began 130 years ago, and the higher temperatures can now be attributed to a long-expected global warming trend linked to pollution, a space agency scientist reported today.
Until now, scientists have been cautious about attributing rising global temperatures of recent years to the predicted global warming caused by pollutants in the atmosphere, known as the "greenhouse effect." But today Dr. James E. Hansen of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration told a Congressional committee that it was 99 percent certain that the warming trend was not a natural variation but was caused by a buildup of carbon dioxide and other artificial gases in the atmosphere.

If you joke that global warming must be a hoax because it's cold out today, global warmists will jump down your throat for ignorantly ignoring the difference between weather and climate. Yet at the very outset of the global-warmist hysteria, Hansen himself made the equivalent argument seriously.

In his Times essay, Gutting approvingly cites a classic example of effective public relations:

In 1982, when seven people in Chicago died from poisoned Tylenol, Johnson & Johnson appealed to its credo, which makes concern for its customers a primary corporate goal, and told the entire truth about what had happened. This honesty turned a potential public-relations disaster into a triumph.
It's not, however, unfair to ask what Johnson & Johnson--or any other company--would have done if there were a deceptive response that seemed likely to prove more profitable in the long run.

Here's an example: Two years ago, a tranche of emails from the University of East Anglia revealed that scientists were engaging in deceptive practices to promote global warmism. A series of "investigations" were undertaken,which turned out to be whitewashes. Now the global warmists are complaining that they are losing the debate.

The efforts to sell Stimulus Jr. and global warmism have been ineffective precisely because the public is smart enough to see through these crude deceptions. The left would benefit politically if it learned to be as honest as corporate America is.

This should be printed up as posters and plastered around every OWS site around the world: priceless!

Back