• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Minister of Defense

commo_dude said:
General Hillier used to report to Defence Minister O'Connor when he was General O'Connor. There is no bad blood between them.

danger will robinson, danger  ;D

commo_dude said:
CBC and CTV stated that today on TV.

OK, so if two independent news services come up with the same line, there's a real good chance it came from some spin doctor's Media Release. If true, that perhaps begs the question of why it was felt necessary to bring it up in the first place.

Anyone wish to second-guess the motives of either a government or DND 'talking head'? Are they maybe attempting to mend some fences? Or should we simply accept what we are told by the government and/or media?

(If you answer 'yes' PM me for a great deal I have on some swamp land..... er, valuable non-arid real estate)

Now that the Right Honourable Minister of Defence Gordon O'Connor, Carleton-Mississippi Mills, Ont. is in fact the MoD we all owe our loyalty to him.

General Hillier is well adapt at working with and mentoring people to achieve the desired results. Fear not young Jedi.  :salute:

Darn it all, I was actually hoping for someone else...

Oh well, lets see what he does.

"is in fact the MoD we all owe our loyalty to him."

Frankly I don't feel I owe him shit until he's shown he's capable.  As it stands hos most recent body of work leaves a lot to be desired.

Gordon O'Connor - Minister of Defence

The new minister of defence is a former brigadier general and most recently, the defence critic for the official opposition.

He has fought for a fair and open tendering process for Canadian military purchases, but his history as a defence industry lobbyist could pose some ethical problems in this area, according to CTV’s Craig Oliver.

However, his base of support within the military ranks will be pleased to see him take the position, particularly at a time where the Armed Forces are set to expand.

“They will be pleased to have someone who can step forward and speak for the department, which is going to need to be defended,” Oliver said. “There’s no governmental department that will be exploding in size the way the defence department will be.”

Oliver said one of O’Connor’s main challenges in the position will be defending Canada’s role in Afghanistan, where spending continues to increase.

O’Connor was first elected to Parliament in 2004 for the new Ontario riding of Carleton-Mississippi Mills. After leaving the military, he worked in the private sector as a consultant and lobbyist for defence contractors

There are three or four threads already dealing with this... can we streamline this a bit?

Kat Stevens said:
There are three or four threads already dealing with this... can we streamline this a bit?

Merged as requested.

"However, his base of support within the military ranks will be pleased to see him take the position, particularly at a time where the Armed Forces are set to expand"

And where are these guys?

Chimo said:
Now that the Right Honourable Minister of Defence Gordon O'Connor, Carleton-Mississippi Mills, Ont. is in fact the MoD we all owe our loyalty to him.
Chimo, only the Prime Minister is Right Honourable, the MND is the Honourable Gordon O'Connor.

Bigfoot, thanks for the correction. I sit corrected.  :salute:

Because I'm on PATA and have the time for things like this, I did some surfing, and unless the Internet is wrong, O'Connor is the first long-serving army guy to be MND since, like, forever (Lamontagne and Danson were the last and fought in WWII). That seems like it might be a big deal...choosing him was almost American-esque. ;)

A couple of comments on the new MND in this thread.

1.  The man is no fool.  I knew him when he was D force S in the late '80's, and he knows the military and political side of Defence inside out.  I pity the poor SOB who tries to snow him.

2.  He is a "tanker", as is Hillier.  They will know each other from way back, and it is quite possible that Hillier did report to O'Connor at some stage (O'Connor was promoted to BGen in '87 or'88.)

3.  The fact of the matter is that the CDS reports to and is responsible to the MND.  The CDS is considered equal to the DM, and both are responsible to the MND.  And this MND knows the score, despite the fact that he may not be au currant with the latest flavour of the month.

4.  I am bothered by his work as a lobbyist, but then that seems to be the route procurement "experts" and generals seem to go, the military career as a stepping-stone to higher earning potential in selling stuff back to DND.  In the dark old days, the military career used to be the end in itself and old soldiers just "faded away," but then CDS's became DMs in other departments, and even ambassadors.  Anyway, O'Connor knows how lobbyists work, so I don't think he will be suborned.

5.  To those still "in," look forward to rational but not necessarily interesting times.  But do remember that few governments keep all election promises.  The Conservatives in the mid-eighties engendered great expectations in the CF, but delivered only environmental uniforms.

If you would like to know more about Gordon O'Connor I have found a helpful resource that keeps tabs on all of his parliamentary voting activity in his political career.  It is extremely useful in monitoring MP's for accountability on the issues that may matter to you.  The website is http://www.howdtheyvote.ca and the link to the voting activity of Gordon O'Connor is http://www.howdtheyvote.ca/member.php?id=215

This is a free website resource, I am not advertising it.  It is just really useful when trying to get a bead on MP's positions.

In regards to Gordon O'Connor some noted votes are his position against MP floor crossing prohibition and against same sex marriage, among others.

I hope that Gen O'Connor's placement in the Cabinet's 1st official picture is not indicative of the priority that will be attributed to the CF...
Past recent history has been that there is a pecking order

( back row in the nosebleed section )

O’Connor already attracted lobbyist/conflict of interest questions.

In fact, if I heard correctly, the only questions he was asked when he left the cabinet room yesterday were abut his lobbying job (Hill and Knowlton) which he left less than two year ago.  Every defence procurement decision will be parsed by the press to see if O'Connor is, somehow or other, connected to the contractors.

Back