• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military as a career change...?

bradinsudbury

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey...

So I am 37 and fed up with the "same ol', same ol'" routine of life. Need to do something that makes a difference with the life I've been given.

I've wanted to be in the Forces since I was a kid, and am seriously considering it now (except my local recruiting office told me all the trades were closed until March of 2011!?).

I understand the process, the commitment and the sacrifices in the beginning (away at training for a very long time etc.), but I do have the following questions that I have not found the answers too yet.

1) If my MOC training is going to be 6 months, plus the 13 weeks at BMQ and the 10 weeks for the SQ course, does that mean I won't see my wife and kids for a whole year? Or will they will be able to come with me while I am getting my trades training?
2) When I am posted to my first base, what price range (I understand it varies on the region) is there for the PMQ's for married personnel?
3) The $2600/month entry salary ($31-and change)... is that the whole first year and you would go up a pay grid starting in year 2?

and finally... I would love to hear from you if you chose the military as a career change in their 30's... was it worth it for you?

Thanks!  :yellow:

SO MUCH of this depends on what trade you want to get into. Best thing to do is go down to your CFRC and talk to them about it, and use the search engine on this site, extensively.

That being said, my husband just went from PRes to RegF this summer. He's in Ottawa now, while I'm in Windsor with the baby. He just turned 35. His course is a 2 year course up there, so we are being given a paid move to Ottawa, and living in the SHHO housing on the Uplands site. So, it's doable, and you won't necessarily be away from the wife and kids for a year, but your family needs to be ready to be separated from you. It's not necessarily fun, but it's not the end of the world, either. Specifics, though, will be hard to give based on what you've told us so far. Your CFRC will be the best source of information. And yes, most trades are closed until next year. And the one I know is open, Geomatics Technician, doesn't have another course starting until this time next year.

Thanks for the reply!

Specifically, the trades I am most interested in, (SigOp and Comm Rsch) do their trades training at the communications school in Kingston. The Communicator Research Op course is 45 weeks and the Sig Op course is about 26. My family lives in Sudbury.... and although Kingston isn't a million miles away, 6 months to a year is a long time to be away. So I was wondering whether my family could move with me to Kingston while I am attending trades training.

Thanks again for the response.

SQ  hasn't been 10 weeks in a long time, and SQ doesn't exist anymore, it is nwo called BMQ (L) - L for Land.  Dunno how long it is though, number of threads on the forums though.

During your QL3 in Kingston, yes your family can move down, two guys on my QL3 got PMQs for their families.  Still have to maintain a bedspace though in the Barracks and do inspections, etc.  Also, you will be able to see your family during training on your time off, the Military won't have you completely disconnected from them.

Search around the forums, all this info is already here.

Just a word of warning if you are concerned about being away from your family for extended periods of time. This is quite common in the military due to various commitments that will have you somewhere other than your posting. This includes your courses, UN deployments and other deployments as the government requires of the military as well as training and exercises.

PMQ costs do vary by location and you may want to check out the following site: http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx

The salary is changed on an annual basis and as an NCM you would receive $2663 monthly for the first year.

The military is a very rewarding career and good luck with getting in for the next fiscal year.

Perhaps my first post had the wrong tone to it. I am not concerned about being away from family for extended periods of time - naturally there will be courses, UN deployments, training, etc.

My question focussed more specifically on that first year, when there is BMQ and then occupation training (the COMM RSCH course is listed as 45 weeks in duration!) and whether or not my family could attend MOC with me... obviously a life in the military means you're not home for dinner every night...

Skeletor: re: SQ course... all the materials I received from the recruiting office during my visit there listed a SQ course as being 10 weeks - that's where I got that from? I assumed it was 10 weeks after the 13 week BMQ...

One other note... I have received (and have read) other posts "warning" guys approaching 40 that the military in general, and combat arms in particular are a place for younger people with no"attachments" (i.e. wife/kids) in life.... just a question here, but is this a widespread feeling among the rank and file?

Materials you get from the Recruiting Centre may not be up to date. I did my BMQ (L)  last year, it was 4 weeks then, not sure whether it's changed, but I'm pretty sure it's not 10 weeks. Comm Resch isn't 45 weeks either - it's 7 weeks for the unclassified part (Phase 1) and I think around 12 weeks for the classified part (Phase 2). In between you wait for your security clearance, which can take anywhere from a year to several years.

Expect to not see a lot of your family during the first year, but once you finish Phase 1, arrangements can generally be made so you can live with your family. Even during the first year, you do have leave and long weekends, so it's not like you don't get to see them at all, but you shouldn't expect to be able to move them to Kingston right away.

I'm not in my thirties (I'm older than that  :)), but whether or not the military is a good fit for you and your family depends on you and your family, not on anyone else's opinion. I've certainly met some bitter people, but honestly, I think they'd be bitter no matter where they were. I'm in for a little over 2 years now, and it's been very good for me and mine. Stressful and challenging at times for sure, but also rewarding. The only regret I have is not joining sooner.

Good luck whatever you decide.

chevalnoir, thanks for the response. i really appreciate the info...

so you joined 2 years ago? what trade are you in?

my wife is totally supportive of my desire to serve, i guess the only thing really holding me back is the pay cut i will have to endure for the first couple of years.. i don't make a lot currently (around 45-50), but the recruit salary of around 30k is a big cut in pay!!

Yes you will see a pay cut, but then again, you will still be making more than a good majority of Canadians.  You will also have a great number of other benefits for both you and your family.  For you, you will have free Dental and Medical through the CF.  For your family, you will have Medical and Dental coverage through the Public Civil Service plans that you will pay into.  Those alone will save you hundreds of dollars.  So, even with a pay cut, you may be better off in the end.

bradinsudbury said:
chevalnoir, thanks for the response. i really appreciate the info...

so you joined 2 years ago? what trade are you in?

my wife is totally supportive of my desire to serve, i guess the only thing really holding me back is the pay cut i will have to endure for the first couple of years.. i don't make a lot currently (around 45-50), but the recruit salary of around 30k is a big cut in pay!!
Hey Brad..

My name is Brad also and Iam born and raised in sudbury, Give er hell bud, join up and do it..pay is nothing once your retired and all the inco boys are still going on strike.
besides 30 k yr is great cash , you wont be home to spend it anyway!  no luchs, beer's ,take out...the Gold!!  eh eh !!  ha ha 30k your wife will be fine, the army has loads of resources for the wife and kids while your gone on training.

bradinsudbury said:
and finally... I would love to hear from you if you chose the military as a career change in their 30's... was it worth it for you?

Hey I'm 26 and married and just made a career change to the forces. I start my BMQ Sept 5 2010. To date, for what its worth, I stand by my decision!  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Back