• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Hiking Footwear Thread

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I know alot of you out there probably spend a bunch of time outdoors so, what do you wear on your feet? I just bought my first set of proper hiking boots and the research I did online got me thinking that maybe we could use a thread like that here, save some googling for our members.

I have a set of Garmont Approach Hikers - low cut, great sole, good support, about $125 from Valhalla Pure Outfitters. Like the name suggests, they are apporach shoes, no need to go carrying the world on your back along the Chilkoot, they're meant for light day hiking. I've had them for three years and they show no sign of wear.

I tried a set of Merrell mid cuts for about a year and found them too soft. I almsot think that they're for the folks that wish to look like they hike...

I just bought a set of Dunham Wafflestompers - full grain leather. About $250 from Vallhalla again. What a bitch to break in, I've been wearing them for four days and today is the first day I am not in pain. They seem great so far...

I had wanted to try Gronell's or Danner's but couldn't find a dealer here. And with that, what's on your feet? Also, if you want to semi-hijack and talk about the rest of the gear you have feel free.

I've been wearing one or another of Zamberlan's  full grain 1/2 or 1/3 shank for most of my trips for the past 8 or 9 years, and I've had a pair of Asolo mountaineering (plastic double) boots for almost as long.  Both take a while to break in (a long while, for some pairs).  Zamberlan discontinued my old style after my second pair, and I've been on a new, Gore-Tex lined, model for about 2 years now.  Pretty good boots, same aggressive sole, good edges, nice toe for kicking steps, can be a bit loose in the heel cup for me.  I almost wish they were more rigid and took crampons, but that's what the Asolo are for.

Before I got onto the Zamberlans for my light/intermediate trips, I'd tried Vasque, Merrell, and some other brands, too.  None of them hold a patch to my current pair.

DF

I wear Teva's for hikes in the mountains; if its melting, then I add cotton socks...

tevas.jpg

Not mine but a reasonable facsimile...

I bought a pair of Chaco's, they seem heavy at first but I have fallen in love with them for hiking. When I use them for long day hikes in the sun a throw on a white liner sock cause its a b*tch getting sunburned on the tops of your feet.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442545575&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733839&bmUID=1137454150778

These are the pair I have.  They're great; unfortuantely I haven't had the chance to do any real hiking since I got them.  Just some 2 hour or so hikes through the local drumlin areas.

But they're great. 

I have a pair of 7 or 8 year old Zamberlan backpacking boots that have heald up extremely well.

Essentialy an older version of these (non-Gore-Tex)
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442422979&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733589&bmUID=1137724330932

I bought a pair of hiking boots by Boreal (the Atlas, I believe) at MEC before I moved to Yellowknife, and I really like them for dayhiking. However, I wore them on the Chilkoot and the lack of ankle support (they're only a midcut boot) came back to bite me on the a$$ on days 4-5. I'm still pretty happy with them, though, and they're going strong.

I hear Zamberlan makes a great boot. Raichle is another company that makes a solid boot.

:dontpanic:

0tto Destruct said:
I bought a pair of hiking boots by Boreal (the Atlas, I believe) at MEC before I moved to Yellowknife, and I really like them for dayhiking. However, I wore them on the Chilkoot and the lack of ankle support (they're only a midcut boot) came back to bite me on the a$$ on days 4-5. I'm still pretty happy with them, though, and they're going strong.

I hear Zamberlan makes a great boot. Raichle is another company that makes a solid boot.

:dontpanic:

They do. So does Garmont, Montrail, Vasque, and a lot of other companies. I have found that Zamberlans are best suited to me though.

Pte Gaisford, that's the same model I've had for the past however many years.

I also ran into a guy on his third pair in 15 years, in Inuvik.  They stand up pretty well.

DF

I'm a personal fan of Merrell's, Thermo Multio-Sport GT for a low-cut and Thermo 6 for a hi-cut.

Also have a pair of Pulse II low-cuts, but they're starting to break down after my standing four close to an hour in diesel, trying to fix a generator...darn, they are/were some of the most comfortable hiking footwear I own.  :mad:

Cheers,
Duey

Best boot I've ever worn. Took awhile to break in but now it's like a heavy slipper.

Meindl Perfekt  http://www.meindl.de/english/

Cheers

ParaMedTech said:
Pte Gaisford, that's the same model I've had for the past however many years.

I also ran into a guy on his third pair in 15 years, in Inuvik.  They stand up pretty well.

DF
I've done my best to kill them, but haven't yet succeeded. I got them when I was 13 (I had to double the socks so they'd fit). They are a bit to snug now to the point that if I haven't cut my toenails recently enough it causes problems. I can't seam to give them up, though.... Something about kit that was built right and has served well.

And I just treated myself to some new trail runners, I had Adidas Climacools but they've finally had the biscuit. And so I now have the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn! They have an interesting lace system that is just a cable sort of thingy that is held fast by a ratchet other sort of thingy. Anyway, they keep my foot cradled perfectly and feel as though they were built for my feet alone. Cost was about $115.

Check them out!

Just a note for those in the Halifax - Dartmouth area. I was in visiting my sis-in-law in the Centennial building of the VG. There is a sale going on in one of the rooms in the hall that heads to the gift shop area. Everything in there for 70% off.

They have some great product. Garmont, New Balance, Saucony, Brooks, Merrell, they also have some very nice high end dress shoes Bostonian to name one brand. Lots for ladies as well. Some hikers up to $400.00.

I bought the wife a pair of "Garmont Nova" hikers reg price 159.99 for $54.71 tax in!
Heading back there later to see if I can find myself a nice pair, sizes are limited, and they close around 5-5:30 i think. They have had the sale on for about 3 weeks I guess and they are finishing up this weekend.

Definitely worth a drop in.

***Disclaimer...I am by no means connected with this group, just passing it on, not advertising.****

I bought a new pair of Zamberlans in October right before my overnight hike into Golden Ears Park. I never broke them in before the trip as i just got them a day or so before, but they faired well and my feet could not complain. I swear by Zamberlans and would recommend them to anyone. 

These are the ones i currently wear :
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442422979&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733589&bmUID=1137724330932

WRT the Solomon's I linked in my last post: they didn't stand up all that long. The body of the shoe was fine but the soles wore out too quick for my liking. Damn shame because they are still the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn.

The Wafflestompers are doing just fine.

Hmmm, resurrected after a year....people must be getting antsy for Spring.

Back