• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The French Foreign Legion - the last option for those desperate to escape the UK

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
The French Foreign Legion - the last option for those desperate to escape the UK
Lost your job, your home, your business? Is the wife about to take you to the cleaners? Is that a county court judgement dropping through the letterbox? Life is getting harder for the poor, put-upon British male. Really, just how many Robert Peston two-ways can a man take? If only one could forget it all and start again.

By Neil Tweedie
Last Updated: 11:33PM GMT 03 Dec 2008

The elite men-only fighting force draw troops from all over the world Photo: AP
There is a way, of course – one tried and tested over 180 years. And it’s dead romantic, too. The Legion Etrangere, zee French Foreign Legion.
As every fan of Beau Geste, March or Die and Carry On Follow That Camel knows, the Legion is an elite fighting force, drawing its men (no women allowed) from all corners of the world and touched by glamour.

Formed in 1831 by Louis Philippe to enforce French rule in newly-acquired Algeria, it developed into a collective exercise in convenient amnesia, acquiring a reputation as a haven for cut-throats, crooks and sundry fugitives from justice. Few questions were asked of new recruits, making it an ideal repository for the scum of the earth. And with the scum came the romantics, men searching for a way to dull the pain of doomed love.

Well, that was how Hollywood portrayed it. Cue matinee idol being asked why he has subjected himself to a life of brutal discipline, sand and sunburn. "To forget," says he, drawing on his Gitane and staring longingly into the distance amid a haze of blue smoke.

Reality is a bit different. France’s colonial empire may have disappeared, save for the odd outpost, but the Legion lives on. Almost 7,700-strong, it still operates around the world and gets into regular scrapes in Africa. While Frenchman make up most of the officer corps, enlisted men are predominantly drawn from outside France. The Legion’s image as a haven for ne’er-do-wells is largely out of date. Now, aspiring recruits are subjected to detailed background checks via Interpol.
"We don’t accept the hardened criminals any more, the murderers or rapists," says Capt Samir Benykrelef, "so this makes our job easier."
But there is still a hint of romance: all recruits must assume a new name on joining the Legion. This is because some recruits do indeed want a new start and new identity, and it is fairer to make all new Legionnaires undergo the same process. Soldiers can revert to their real identities after a year.
So, what does the Legion give the lucky entrant? A hard time, mainly.

Before being awarded the kepis blanc, the famed white cap of the Legion, recruits must endure a severe training regime which can involve punching and kicking. All recruits have to speak in French – even if they can’t. Even swearing must be in French, and there is a lot of that.

New recruits get about £1,000 a month and a shiny new rifle, which they are supposed never to leave on the battlefield. One practice popular in the main French army at certain times – surrendering – is not encouraged in the Legion, members of which are routinely expected to fight to the death. The good news is the wine. The Legion has its own vineyards in Provence which provide the main ingredient for regimental get-togethers.

After three years service, a legionnaire may apply for French citizenship. There is a quicker, more painful way way: a soldier wounded in battle may apply for citizenship under a provision known as "Français par le sang versé" ("French by spilled blood").

Some 140 nationalities are represented in the Legion, the motto of which is Legio Patria Nostra (The Legion is our Homeland). Composition changes with time, recruitment tending to thrive in countries experiencing economic and social stress. Traditionally, Germany has been a big provider of legionnaires – somewhat ironically given the Legion’s bloody roll in two world wars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/3546207/The-French-Foreign-Legion---the-last-option-for-those-desperate-to-escape-the-UK.html

The way they teach french (and the military experience) would probably be a big asset if you were applying for the Canadian Forces, especially since the bilingualism is favoured for officer applicants to RMC. Not to mention, during those 5 years you get dual citizensh, get to use their neat weapon (totally different from standard canadian arms), different uniform and march tempo. There's probably a difference between France french and the Quebec french you hear in Canada and the forces, but not enough to cause any extreme confusion right?

I contemplated joining them more than once I admit, to get some radical change/excitement in my life. I looked into it, but it seemed to restrictive, adn well, garrison duty seemed rather dull. But who knows, may join someday while Im still young and somewhat idealistic, lol

Knew a fella....
wanted to join. Went to France & showed up at their doorstep on the very day they were starting their block leave
He talked to a recruiting Sergeant.... who talked him out of it. He went home & returned the following year.

However.....

Two years later, he packed up his tent & skipped the country (France) late at night.... Something like two years later, the FFL mailed him a less than satisfactory discharge.

Not for everyone

tyciol said:
The way they teach french (and the military experience) would probably be a big asset if you were applying for the Canadian Forces, especially since the bilingualism is favoured for officer applicants to RMC. Not to mention, during those 5 years you get dual citizensh, get to use their neat weapon (totally different from standard canadian arms), different uniform and march tempo. There's probably a difference between France french and the Quebec french you hear in Canada and the forces, but not enough to cause any extreme confusion right?

Too many things wrong with this statement.  Learning French in the Legion may happen.  The French spoken in France is not the Quebecois spoken in Quebec.  Five years of being "Beaten" in the Legion really doesn't help that much with RMC, but will make the obstacle course so much easier to do.  Dual citizenship can have its ups and downs.  I have no clue what neat weapons have to do with anything relevant.  Different Drill could cause problems.  Two totally different military cultures and would take a lot of adapting. 

I guess if you are outside of your lanes, you wouldn't know these things.  Not to say, that there aren't some beneficial points in it, but for the most part, not that ideal.

George Wallace said:
Learning French in the Legion may happen.
Just as a clarification, I'm pretty sure this happens. I couldn't find anything concrete on the web, but I remember watching a program on the Legion and this being specifically mentioned. I guess since you are serving in the French Army, speaking French would be kinda important. It didn't explicitly say, but I would assume that it is incorporated throughout the training process.
http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/chronologique.php

I remember taking a peek at the obstacle course at RMC and after 5 years in the Legion one should be able to get through it easily even in the body cast you could end up wearing as a motivator to learn French the Legion way.

Note this is not saying that the RMC Obstacle course is in any way an easy one, just our French brethren have a tad sadist streak in the design of theirs, along with their Language M of I techniques.

But hey OP if you’re set on this, fill yer boots. 

22 Rue D’Ostend Qtr Lecombe Strasbourg, it’s a good 20-25 minutes hike due east form the main Strasbourg rail station near the European Parliament buildings, and not far from the Vauban fortress walls. If you hit the Rhine you’ve gone to far, double back a bit, or just copy the map details they have at the display case at the train station entrance. Can’t miss the building white washed walls with Legion Etrange in big black letters, use the green door.

Hmm amazing what one still remembers almost 30 years later.

ex-Sup said:
Just as a clarification, I'm pretty sure this happens. I couldn't find anything concrete on the web, but I remember watching a program on the Legion and this being specifically mentioned. I guess since you are serving in the French Army, speaking French would be kinda important. .......

As well as learning several dozen other useful words in several dozen other languages.    ;D

2 guys from my battalion took off and joined the Legion. They deserted a year later and spent the same time in cells that they had spent AWOL. They said that it was basically trial by fist. They had no formal french language training. They either learned it or continued to be beaten up. Another guy from my company in the Westies joined in the 90s and seemed to enjoy it alot. They may have changed their approach with the decline in enrolment.

But did you know that Rocky joined the Legion?

Here he is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdR82BOj6o

Will those bloody epaulettes ever fall off?

George Wallace said:
As well as learning several dozen other useful words in several dozen other languages.    ;D
Really? From my experience, people in the military always use polite and appropriate language at all times  ;)

At one time, recruit platoon of 45.... food provided for 30
Survival of the fittest.  Those that were's fast enough or strong enough would "starve" and be encouraged to bail.
Detention - if you get busted & have to do time, your term of service is "frozen" for the duration of the time you are in detention... and resumes when you are sent back to your company.

Wine with meals.... good thing

Mobile brothels.... those have unfortunately been discontinued

Knowing how the FFL treats their men from the get go, and how that breeds loyality, I have no clue, perhaps loyality to one another, but at any time in my life, even as a last resort, thats one place I'd never EVER go.

Have serveral friends over the years who went, and have told me nothing but bad experiences overall.

Cold XXXX Golds,

Wes

Some good books about the Legion are the Naked Soldier and Legion of the Lost, learned a lot from them, I won't lie it has crossed my mind a couple times what life would be like if I were to join.

canadian_moose said:
Some good books about the Legion are the Naked Soldier and Legion of the Lost, learned a lot from them
Same here. I've been reading a lot lately about the First Indochina War (Street without Joy/Hell in a Very Small Place-Fall, The Last Valley-Windrow) and of course the Legion is mentioned prominently. Interesting to read about some of their experiences, especially at Dien Bien Phu. The one event that really sticks in my mind is the counterattack launched on April 10, 1954 by elements of 1 BEP. Witnesses recall them walking into battle singing the march of the Legion.
Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ygBI5iXEo&feature=related
Words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Boudin

Le Boudin is the Legion’s most revered song. Learning it in French early in one’s career as a Legionnaire is mandatory and the motivation to do so often involves the same techniques as used to learn French.

Another fairly good first hand account of the Legion and 2eREP is Mouthful of rocks by
Christian Jennings. Bear in mind Jennings is a bit of a loser, didn’t like the Legion and (spoiler) deserted so his version of how things are done is a bit shall we say negative.

51E8R65GJ4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Simon Murray another Brit wrote a pretty good account of his Legion Service in the 1960s too

518MfEi1rqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Danjanou said:
Le Boudin is the Legion’s most revered song.
Which is kinda ironic, considering the lyrics. It's about blood sausage, but not really, and some of it is quite humorous, especially the chorus.

As an addendum to my previous post, Le Boudin is also viewed as an inspiration to many. Following 1 BEP into the counter attack on Elaine 1 were Vietnamese paratroopers of 5 BPVN. Motivated by the Legion Paras singing, they did likewise. Unfortunately, they lacked any motivating marches like Le Boudin. So, failing all else, they sang "La Marseillaise." Sort interesting for Vietnamese, fighting other Vietnamese over colonialism and politics, to sing the anthem of a country on the verge of losing power in the region.

ex-Sup said:
I guess since you are serving in the French Army, speaking French would be kinda important. It didn't explicitly say, but I would assume that it is incorporated throughout the training process.
From what I've read, they do in the least give you access to dictionaries, since one of the book mentioned a room full of dictionaries. If they don't give any other assistance, then presumably they strongly motivate you to study the dictionary very well. People who have trouble with literacy and no french background might be in trouble indeed...

From what the website says, and what might be part of what Mr. Wallace was getting at, is that the French you learn there might not be incredibly extensive. The summary I read said "enough to get by" or something along those lines, which probably means in regards to terms used in military maneuvers, common language regarding food/sleep. Anything beyond that may be left up to individual initiative, I don't really know. My guess is that they'd be more motivated to assist people who show perserverence and talent in other areas with their french, whereas people who struggle in pretty much everything and don't show drive, probably get chastised a lot and their lack of French isn't pitied.

That aside, there are probably less masochistic methods of learning enough French to enter into the officer programs in the Canadian Forces. Maybe night school programs or something like that? Correspondance classes only offer the basic gr. 9 french which most of us have anyway as a high school diploma prerequisite.

Back