• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
M16 vs C7:

Iron Sight Carry Handle vs. Flat Top

C7 can fire fully auto, M16A2 can fire single shots or 3 round bursts
C7 has a heavier barrell, and they ALSO make a heavy barrell version with bipod, meant for some LSW role.

The bolt carrier is slightly different as well, having a smaller metal ring at the base.

Also, there‘s apparently some alterations made in weighting, accuracy and range, but I couldn‘t be specific as to which. If you want to know EVERYTHING, you might want to send an e-mail to Diemaco: the manufacturer of the C7.

Quoting a Quote

"C7 I trust my life on it as I am a reservist in the Canadian army. Those opticle sights(not scopes) are on all our rifles which is better than just open sights. They are designed for 200m-800m the dnd page says upto 600m which is false and its in 100m incriments. It can fire fully automatic or semi. Its weight is 3.3kg unloaded and 3.8 loaded the page wrong again. Can be fitted with a bayonet for close quarter fighting. If kept in good condition and cleaned properly will never ever misfire. It has a 30 round magazine. The sight has iridium in it yes radioactive hense why there is a radioactive sign on it. This enables it to iluminate a nighting allowing you to see throught the sight at night. Sight can be submerged under water for 10 hours before the seals on it start to break down due to water pressure."
I hope this reservist was at least on a tour overseas when he made this quote about relying on the C7 for his life.

The C7 never jams, whatever I have seen freshly cleaned weapons jam on occasion. That‘s a pretty broad brush he‘s painting with there.

The whole submersion claim is kind of funny as well, why in the name of "he double hockey sticks" would you have your weapon submerged for that amount of time.

Oh yeah, if he thinks the C7 never jams, then he should be given the rusted bucket of $hit rifle I had on basic. The thing had double feeds every 5 rounds and jammed plenty.

For the most part, yes, it‘s a pretty good weapon, but is by no means perfect.

I don‘t think any weapon is perfect, but comparatively speaking (to other military rifles), the C-7 is an excellent weapon. Its variations have been applied and adapted to a number of other m-16 variants, including that of the Isreali Defense Force.

I agree for the most part that the C7 is a good weapon but I also ran into double feeds while on the range. The RSO suggested smacking the mag into my hand (backside of the mag) to seat the rounds to avoid double feeds. Any thoughts on this?

It could be the rounds aren‘t seated properly in the mag... for me it was because my weapon was too dry. I was told to wipe off all the CLP before we went to the range and I did (stupid me). So, the cartridges weren‘t ejecting properly and ended up getting caught because there was no oil in the weapon. A little oil seemed to fix it pretty well.

I think most of the differences have been well covered in the previous posts, but here goes a summary (apologies for any redundant statements). Regarding my expertise, I was a RESO trained Lt who went through Phase training in Gagetown‘s CTC the first year that they had C7‘s instead of the FNC1A1 (Ironically, our section LMG‘s were still the FNC2 - a heavy barrel version of the the FN with a 30 round magazine. But, I digress...)
1. Heavier barrel to aid in dissapating heat, and thus retaining better accuracy.
2. The furniture (butt and forestock) are made of either different compounds (butt) or heavier plastic (forestock) to deal with winter temperatures and avoid cracking or breaking as a result of the cold.
3. The original C7 (iron sights and carrying handle) did not have a windage adjustment knob on the rear sight like the M16A2 does.
4. The C7 has a removable trigger guard to allow trigger access while wearing bulky winter mitts (I‘m don‘t think the M16A2 has this feature - forgive me if I‘m mistaken).
5. Regarding plastic magazines: These were (sadly) an original feature of the C7. The idea was that in time of war, they would come pre-loaded. The reality was that they were sadly lacking in most respects. The lips of the magazine, exposed to the heat of the weapon near the breach, would frequently break. As you removed a partially filled magazine from the weapon, bullets would fountain up into the air.
It was in Bosnia that needs of the troops finally overcame the bureaucracy. The plastic magazine was flat out unacceptable, and entire battalions doing work up training in the States would buy (using money from their own pocket) metal thirty round magazines to take over with them.
An interesting aside to this is that as 30 round mags became illegal in Canada, a number of units tried to confiscate the privately owned metal mags on returning to Canada to add to their unit weapons inventory. I knew several guys who literally threw them away or destroyed them rather than give up something that the army had refused to supply them with.
6. Regarding double feeds: This frequently happens when firing at a rapid rate (either on repitition or just quick semi-auto) while using a 30 round mag that is actually loaded with 30 rounds. It was common practice to only load 28 rounds, as this seemed to ease the spring tension feeding rounds enough to mostly avoid double feeds into the weapon.

Regards,
Max

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago and eventually went right to Diemaco for the answer. That thread might still be in the archives....

Ok here‘s a link with info straight from Diemaco:
http://cdnarmy.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000077#000000

Well here I go with my thoughts. The C7 fitted with the C79 sight is not a bad wpn at all. Of course you run into the tunnel vision effect with optic sites verses iron sights. That is easily overcome with training. The sight it‘s self I am pretty sure is one solid piece of glass. That is why it never foggs up inside. The wpn like all wpns may jam the odd time. That is why we have drills for other stoppages. Prep for fire clearly states that all gass effected parts, ie: bolt face, barrel, and chamber be free of lubercant. All other parts like bearing surfaces should be oiled. ie: the bolt carrier all other moving parts. Over all I would say that since the introduction to the forces. People have become better shots. This I think is the fact that it is a very easy rifel to fire and there is no flinch factor for people who are skidish of recoil. This happened alot witht he C1, but again it to could be overcome with training.

It‘s not fun when the bloody sight falls off... You‘ve always gotta check it to make sure it hasn‘t loosened up on you..

Yes the sight is a bit of a problem, but it really is just an added piece that has to be maintained.

this is abit off topic,but i didnt want to start a new thread for this.

exactly who uses the C8 carbine?

ive read its for mech crews,pilots and of course spec. ops types.but in most if not all of the pictures of 3ppcli in afghanistan they seem to be holding C8s.

ive also heard that para coys also use them.
can anyone clear this up?

p.s. C8 VS M4A1 :o

For the most part it is used by the Armoured, in the army that is. But It can be used by anyone if the requirement is there and authorized.

The Navy used to make use of it I think...not sure if they still do now that they have switched mainly to the MP5.

3PPCLI Was using them in all the pictures i‘ve seen.
Probably a small comfort considering all the stuff they were carrying.

Hey guys,

One of my fellow troops said he saw a picture of a new c7 coming out. It has green or Cad Pad handguards and a adjustable butt like the C8. Does anyone have pics or has anyone heard of this weapon?

Back