• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Talking outside my lane

dustinm

Inactive
Reaction score
This is probably the closest forum I would put this under (unless there's an "off-topic" I missed.)

Prior to my (eventual?) enlistment, there are a couple character flaws of mine I'd like to correct. One of which is my unfortunate habit to speak out of my lane when I'm not qualified to be giving my opinion. I'm not sure where it came from but it's now habitual. And I hate doing it, but my mouth (and my hands, it seems) move faster than my brain.

You'd think it would be easy to just not speak on things you're not an expert in, but it's hard! I've even made the mistake here several times (and have been sternly corrected -- thank you all for that.)

I know it's probably asking a lot, but has anyone else been in a similar situation, and/or figured out a way to prevent it? (Be blunt; I don't mind.)

I'm sure some yelling at by a Master Corporal the would correct it the first time, but I'm sure there are many other things I'll be corrected on if I ever join (being realistic,) and I'd hope this isn't one of them :)

Edit: Yikes. I did miss the off-topic board, "Radio Chatter"...I'm pretty sure it's more appropriate there. If a mod agrees, I'd appreciate a move over there. Thanks! :)

Neo Cortex said:
I'm sure some yelling at by a Master Corporal the would correct it the first time, but I'm sure there are many other things I'll be corrected on if I ever join (being realistic,) and I'd hope this isn't one of them

If you join, and go out of your lane whilst on BMQ, you WILL be sorted out on the spot by your course staff. One good jacking and you'll learn, unless you desire a crap load of pain inflicted by means of PT, then you will keep going out of your lane. There was one fellow on my basic that just didn't get it. He had to find numbers on the side of light posts that were about 300 yrds away. He kept pushing his luck on everything, almost got charged a bunch of times for it, needless to say, he had a rough go.

Chapeski said:
If you join, and go out of your lane whilst on BMQ, you WILL be sorted out on the spot by your course staff. One good jacking and you'll learn, unless you desire a crap load of pain inflicted by means of PT, then you will keep going out of your lane. There was one fellow on my basic that just didn't get it. He had to find numbers on the side of light posts that were about 300 yrds away. He kept pushing his luck on everything, almost got charged a bunch of times for it, needless to say, he had a rough go.

Sorry, I worded that kind of badly. I meant to say "I hope this isn't something [by the time I go on course that] I would need to be corrected on." Definitely not interested in angering any eventual course staff :)

Chapeski said:

So did he have to run to a pole remember the serial number run back tell the course staff and run to the next one?
or how did that work?

CEEBEE501 said:
So did he have to run to a pole remember the serial number run back tell the course staff and run to the next one?
or how did that work?

Each pole has a number for on one side of it for maintenance purposes I believe. The staff didn't really care what the pole number was, self discipline was the lesson of that day. There was one time they made someone do that run, while buddy is running to the pole the Sgt tells the platoon he wants to have some fun, and will send poor fellow back so he can check the next post over (as you inquired about), one of the platoon wasn't on board with the Sgts fun, guess who joined bloke #1 on the second trip. 1st's guy's reason was that he yawned while learning drill outside, the second trip was because of hi excuse for yawning. "I wasn't yawning Sgt, I was silently screaming!" The Sgt enjoyed this excuse, but it was an excuse nonetheless, off you go.

Neo Cortex, I didn't mean to frighten you by stating it like that, but when I was on BMQ, after a long day of people not doing as they were instructed I too stepped out of my lane. And trust me, I learned quick after that blast to keep the trap shut. Only time I got truly jacked up for something I did. It was a massive one. I hope for you this doesn't happen, but if it does, take it as a learning experience and move on.

Chapeski said:
Each pole has a number for on one side of it for maintenance purposes I believe. The staff didn't really care what the pole number was, self discipline was the lesson of that day. There was one time they made someone do that run, while buddy is running to the pole the Sgt tells the platoon he wants to have some fun, and will send poor fellow back so he can check the next post over (as you inquired about), one of the platoon wasn't on board with the Sgts fun, guess who joined bloke #1 on the second trip. 1st's guy's reason was that he yawned while learning drill outside, the second trip was because of hi excuse for yawning. "I wasn't yawning Sgt, I was silently screaming!" The Sgt enjoyed this excuse, but it was an excuse nonetheless, off you go.

Neo Cortex, I didn't mean to frighten you by stating it like that, but when I was on BMQ, after a long day of people not doing as they were instructed I too stepped out of my lane. And trust me, I learned quick after that blast to keep the trap shut. Only time I got truly jacked up for something I did. It was a massive one. I hope for you this doesn't happen, but if it does, take it as a learning experience and move on.

Thank you for the advice Chapeski. I'll take it to heart :)

Wow, I feel lucky now.. while I attended BMQ last year for the short period I did, I made the mistake of talking out of my lane at lunch... at a table behind the staff. I was lucky enough for my course WO to quietly let me know to watch what I say after class later that day.

All depends on the staff and their individual attitudes. Some are decent, as your PL Warrant seemed, others want to make a point. In the case I mentioned, he buddy run the second time for fun, and make a point as well. However there were times when this one guy was just out of line and needed some, how shall I say, corrective measures, that sounds like a good term. It wasn't for going outside his lane, but a point needed to be made, but that's not for this topic here.

the first step, not to sound cliche, is to admit you have a problem.

you have to be aware of what you are doing, stop yourself and admit you are outside of your lanes. It's going to take due diligence on your part. Correcting personal flaws are something you are going to have to work on your whole life. You will gain more respect from your superiors and peers by not commenting outside your lanes than pretending you know something you don't

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

10 principals of leadership (first 4 are pertinant to most people)

1. Achieve proffesional competence

2. Appreciate your own strengths and limitations, and pursue self improvement

3. Seek and accept responsibility.

4. Lead by example

5. Make sure your followers know your meanding and intent, then lead them to the accomplishment of the mision.

6. Know your men and promote their welfare.

7. Develop the leadership potential your followers.

8. Make sound and timely decisions

9. Train your men as a team, and employ them up to their capabilities.

10. Keep your followers informed of the mission, the changing situation, and the overall picture.

I personally admit I'm still identifying personal flaws that I'm working on to correct, correcting personal  flaws is an exersize of continuous improvement that does bear some very sweet fruit as you progress.

Neo Cortex..(quite the name), I've been talking out of my lanes for 34 years. Don't worry about it.
You'll learn over time when and where you can do that.
Generally I've found the higher the rank, the more "out of the lanes" you can speak.

As a new recruit, your "arcs of fire" are very narrow. They will increase with rank and experience.

I learned my lesson during my transition from middle school to high school. I spent more time out of my lane than in it in middle school. It was public school. No one cared.

My high school was a private one. People definitely cared. Staff and senior student alike. While I missed caning from the staff by a couple years, the prefects dealt corporal punishment out like Halloween candy. I learned to simply count to three before I opened my mouth. Ten years later, I still fall back on that trick on a regular basis. 3 seconds is plenty long enough to form a reasonable opinion during a conversation, or to simply realize that silence is your best contribution.

c_canuk said:
the first step, not to sound cliche, is to admit you have a problem.

you have to be aware of what you are doing, stop yourself and admit you are outside of your lanes. It's going to take due diligence on your part. Correcting personal flaws are something you are going to have to work on your whole life. You will gain more respect from your superiors and peers by not commenting outside your lanes than pretending you know something you don't

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

10 principals of leadership (first 4 are pertinant to most people)

<Principles snipped>

I personally admit I'm still identifying personal flaws that I'm working on to correct, correcting personal  flaws is an exersize of continuous improvement that does bear some very sweet fruit as you progress.

Wow. Thanks :) These are a great set of rules to live and act by :)

OldSolduer said:
Neo Cortex..(quite the name), I've been talking out of my lanes for 34 years. Don't worry about it.
You'll learn over time when and where you can do that.
Generally I've found the higher the rank, the more "out of the lanes" you can speak.

As a new recruit, your "arcs of fire" are very narrow. They will increase with rank and experience.

I appreciate the advice:) Though I'd like to make it clear I'm not a recruit yet. Just an interested bystander :D

VIChris said:
I learned my lesson during my transition from middle school to high school. I spent more time out of my lane than in it in middle school. It was public school. No one cared.

My high school was a private one. People definitely cared. Staff and senior student alike. While I missed caning from the staff by a couple years, the prefects dealt corporal punishment out like Halloween candy. I learned to simply count to three before I opened my mouth. Ten years later, I still fall back on that trick on a regular basis. 3 seconds is plenty long enough to form a reasonable opinion during a conversation, or to simply realize that silence is your best contribution.

I should try that! 3 seconds is a great guideline. Thanks :)

Do we really need to continue this, or has your curiosity been satisfied?

Milnet.ca Staff

Back