• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taliban bombing claim alarms Canadian officials (They're coming for us)

• Thread starter Thread starter CrazyCanuck
  • Start date Start date
C

CrazyCanuck

Taliban bombing claim alarms Canadian officials

Taliban bombing claim alarms Canadian officials

Updated Mon. Jun. 18 2007 9:48 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The Taliban claims it has teams of suicide bombers ready to take the fight to NATO countries, including Canada.

In a story broadcast Monday, ABC News obtained footage of an al Qaeda-Taliban training camp graduation ceremony, reportedly held on June 9.

The teams are reportedly being dispatched to Canada, Britain, the United States and Germany.

On the tape, Taliban commander Dadullah Mansoor said: "These Americans, Canadians, British and Germans come here to Afghanistan from faraway places. Why shouldn't we go after them?"

"We should perform suicide attacks and, God willing, destroy their establishments in their own countries."

Dadullah replaced his brother Mullah Dadullah, who was shot to death this month in a U.S.-led operation.

The leader of the British attack team spoke in halting English.

A Pakistani journalist had been invited to attend and record the ceremony. Al Qaeda cameramen also recorded the event.

U.S. intelligence officials told ABC News the video was an example of "an aggressive and sophisticated propaganda campaign."

However, ABC News' Brian Ross said that Pakistan reported last week picking up three foreign militants - two of whom held German passports.

A Canadian official told CTV News on Monday they take the Taliban threat "very seriously."

Canadian and western intelligence have known for some months that the Taliban leadership had directed its commanders to "take the fight out of the country, to take it to us," the source said.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service does not believe that any Taliban operatives are in Canada at this time but they are regarded as a serious threat.

In late December, Newsweek magazine reported that al Qaeda had trained a 12-member group of Westerners at a camp in North Waziristan, Pakistan to carry out attacks in their home countries.

The Pakistani government has very little presence in North Waziristan. Some media reports have called the territory a Taliban mini-state.

An official in Britain's Foreign Office told Newsweek that it was common knowledge that some would-be jihadists have been travelling from Britain to Pakistan for training.

However, the story also claimed al Qaeda had developed an "underground railroad" for jihadists that could get them from Europe to Pakistan without any official record.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070618/taliban_bombers_070618/20070618?hub=TopStories

This could be an extremely effective tactic in swaying public opinion if it were to succeed. Though in which direction is debatable but I would think the withdrawal crowd would get louder if not bigger.

George Wallace said:
Perhaps a few points that Valcartier2007 Collective should ponder.

Agreed, George.  I'm sold.

All the more reason why we should withdraw immediately, repent and beg forgiveness from those we have wronged.  Only then may we possibly be spared the sword of the righteous and oppressed.

(now where's that sacrasm smiley..)

Haggis said:
Agreed, George.  I'm sold.

All the more reason why we should withdraw immediately, repent and beg forgiveness from those we have wronged.  Only then may we possibly be spared the sword of the righteous and oppressed.

(now where's that sacrasm smiley..)

As much as I hate to say it, let them come, maybe people will wake up and pull their heads out of the sand.

Larry Strong said:
As much as I hate to say it, let them come, maybe people will wake up and pull their heads out of the sand.

Who isn't to say that they haven't already come?  We have 17 locked up in Toronto right now.  We have the Millennium Bomber who was captured trying to enter the US from BC.  There are others jailed across the country.  When our Intelligence and Security Agencies do their jobs, the Public sleep peacefully in their beds at night ignorant of the evils around them.  It is only when those Agencies fail, that these acts see the light of day in the Press.  Why would you want more to attempt to disrupt our lives? 

I don't want any. But something has to wake up the population to what is really going on. We are in a war, and the majority of the people are sleep walking through it!!

Larry Strong said:
I don't want any. But something has to wake up the population to what is really going on. We are in a war, and the majority of the people are sleep walking through it!!

I would far rather have the majority of this country sleepwalking through this war then one Taliban bomber going off.

As much as this is just typical 'true believer' sabre rattling, we should never under estimate the intelligence of our enemies, for they are real, they and their supporters are in Canada's major cities (and elsewhere), sadly already planning such cowardly acts against Canadian citizens at large.

The fact is they really do want to KILL us (at home - on Ops, and on holidays). Don't ever forget that, becuse when you do, well thats complacency, and you know what that breeds.

Cheers,

Wes

On the other side, if they can create enough animosity and fear here because we over react to the immigrant population that is somewhat sympathetic to them, they may gain converts to do their deeds...

George Wallace said:
Perhaps a few points that Valcartier2007 Collective should ponder.

I think we should invite these Taliban bombers in.  Specifically provide them with the mailing address of the Valcartier 2007 Collective....maybe Jack Layton's office too.  I'm sure they'll have long-term peace deals signed in no time.

Matthew.    ;)

Valcartier2007 would just say that the only reason why they are here is because we went there first and therefore brought it on ourselves.

What is this news source talking about...?

There never was and never will be any Taliban supporters in Canada, nor has any Canadian citizen ever fought for the Taliban. Why would any Canadian passport carrying person want to hurt our fine country?

We are completely safe.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:

There never was and never will be any Taliban supporters in Canada, nor has any Canadian citizen ever fought for the Taliban. Why would any Canadian passport carrying person want to hurt our fine country?

We are completely safe.

And for those who actually believe it, thier wakeup call will be a blinding light, searing heat, followed by an earsplitting boom.

New York,
Bali,
Madrid,
London.

Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver dates to be confirmed.

Terrorism World Tour,
Coming to a large city shopping mall near you.

As for the 17 that were locked up for the possible attack in Toronto, now only two are still in custordy.  Due to public whining and Amnesty International, all others were released back into the public.  How very Canadian.

Kiwi99 said:
As for the 17 that were locked up for the possible attack in Toronto, now only two are still in custordy.  Due to public whining and Amnesty International, all others were released back into the public.  How very Canadian.

How very Canadian, indeed! Our Charter grants us the right to talk to and about anyone we want. It also allows us to hang around whomever we want as well. Just because he is a criminal and I talk to him and work in the same building as he, does not make me a criminal....

You need evidence to hold someone.

ps-don't get me wrong, I agree that it is not right, but what our country stands for, its rights and freedoms and rule of law is more important.

Just as you need evidence that proves he/she is not a terrorist.  We will probably give all these clowns 10 million as well, just to make them feel better.  Any hint of terror needs to be dealt with harshly and quickly with no remorse. 

We are completely safe.

Heh.... lest we forget the Khadr family?

How very Canadian, indeed! Our Charter grants us the right to talk to and about anyone we want. It also allows us to hang around whomever we want as well. Just because he is a criminal and I talk to him and work in the same building as he, does not make me a criminal....

You need evidence to hold someone.

ps-don't get me wrong, I agree that it is not right, but what our country stands for, its rights and freedoms and rule of law is more important.

You can talk about someone, but once threats are uttered that's a whole different ball o'wax.  All it took was a bleeding heart judge to throw out the case, despite the fact that laws had been broken and the Charter had been violated , just because harper is the PM doesn't mean he is not also protected by the charter against threats of bodily harm and torture.

good point, but they have to prove it was you who did the threatening and that you wish to carry it out...do they not?

Back