• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Bacon

Newt

Inactive
Reaction score
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1947783&cat=172&

Bacon in a can, fully cooked. I'm sure it's been done by someone before these guys, but their naming is perfect.

Edit to add: I'd never been on that website until the missus sent me a link. American style capitalism at it's best, a place where a person can order rifle parts and bacon at the same time.

Everything old is new again - I've eaten bacon in a can from IRPs (Individual Ration Packs) when I was a young private .  Anyone remember heating the cans up on the Coleman lanterns?

More here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/30921.0/all.html

milnews.ca said:
Everything old is new again - I've eaten bacon in a can from IRPs (Individual Ration Packs) when I was a young private .  Anyone remember heating the cans up on the Coleman lanterns?

More here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/30921.0/all.html

Yes.

How about the canned bacon and eggs? Mmmmm, mmmm, good.

I remember the IRP tin of bacon, a small tin w/ring-pull, about the size of a small tin of cat food (85g).

Was it good? Yes! When IMP's came around (c.1980) tinned bacon was gone.

I viewed it as a treat, and smelled perfect in a 10 man tent in the morning.

OWDU

Kat Stevens said:
How about the canned bacon and eggs? Mmmmm, mmmm, good.

On the flip side, how about the ham and egg omelette in the IMPs?

The troops called it "The Lung".

I think the bacon as well as the cocktail wieners in the RP4s were better than those in the IRPs.......  >:D

I went through Dubai a few years ago and spotted canned HOTDOGS.  Not cocktail wieners, but full length all beef or chicken hotdogs.  I packed them up with some mustard, ketchep and pitas (for shelf life and sent them off to an engineer driver I knew was in a FOB.  I'll see if I can find the pics of him eating them.  I think there were 8 or 9 in each can.

OldSoldier said:
On the flip side, how about the ham and egg omelette in the IMPs?

The troops called it "The Lung".

I hear you could freeze them and use them as ballistic plates...

George Wallace said:
I think the bacon as well as the cocktail wieners in the RP4s were better than those in the IRPs.......  >:D

Ahhh, the fingers of death - this culinary nostalgia is making me tear up, here  :'(

A little story about TACBAC;

So, this past September I turned 30... for such a momentous occasion, a fellow soldier from my regiment gave me a can of TACBAC.  I must say, this appealed to both my odd sense of humour and the "fat kid" in me.  What can I say; I like bacon.

A few weeks later I run into this fellow soldier at training. His first words to me are; "DON'T EAT THE BACON!"
Of course I chuckled at first, but he seemed quite serious. I asked him what happened (knowing that something must have happened to provoke this).
Apparently, whilst drunk, he decided to crack open a can and indulge in the bacony goodness therein.  On the container it states that there are "about 18 servings of bacon" per can... and the nutritional information is based on a serving of 3 slices.
When he opened the can, he said, the bacon came out in a large roll.  After unrolling it, it was several sheets of very greasy, yet "surprisingly crispy" bacon. He ate most, if not all, of it.
The can does state that it is precooked, so he ate it cold.
Of course, me being the cynic, I had to point out the issues I saw;
1) Drunk; I asked how drunk... he said "fairly"...  of course bacon is going to taste/feel bad when you're that drunk... especially 18 servings.
2) A lot of bacon.  Don't get me wrong; I'm all about bacon, as is he, but there’s a limit... and 18x3 slices of "surprisingly crispy" greasy bacon is well beyond said limit.
3) Cold; granted, I will eat cold bacon... but cold, greasy, "surprisingly crispy" bacon from a can? pass.
After reassessing his initial advice, I believe he realized that the fault was in the user, not the item.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my TACBAC experience.

As for what I'm going to do with a can of bacon; at some point, I will bring it out to the field during an ex and share it with "about 18" soldiers, as per the recommended serving information.

"I firmly believe that bacon has the potential to bring about world peace!" - Anonymous (on TACBAC can)

RHFC_piper said:
A little story about TACBAC;

So, this past September I turned 30... for such a momentous occasion, a fellow soldier from my regiment gave me a can of TACBAC.  I must say, this appealed to both my odd sense of humour and the "fat kid" in me.  What can I say; I like bacon.

A few weeks later I run into this fellow soldier at training. His first words to me are; "DON'T EAT THE BACON!"
Of course I chuckled at first, but he seemed quite serious. I asked him what happened (knowing that something must have happened to provoke this).
Apparently, whilst drunk, he decided to crack open a can and indulge in the bacony goodness therein.  On the container it states that there are "about 18 servings of bacon" per can... and the nutritional information is based on a serving of 3 slices.
When he opened the can, he said, the bacon came out in a large roll.  After unrolling it, it was several sheets of very greasy, yet "surprisingly crispy" bacon. He ate most, if not all, of it.
The can does state that it is precooked, so he ate it cold.
Of course, me being the cynic, I had to point out the issues I saw;
1) Drunk; I asked how drunk... he said "fairly"...  of course bacon is going to taste/feel bad when you're that drunk... especially 18 servings.
2) A lot of bacon.  Don't get me wrong; I'm all about bacon, as is he, but there’s a limit... and 18x3 slices of "surprisingly crispy" greasy bacon is well beyond said limit.
3) Cold; granted, I will eat cold bacon... but cold, greasy, "surprisingly crispy" bacon from a can? pass.
After reassessing his initial advice, I believe he realized that the fault was in the user, not the item.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my TACBAC experience.

As for what I'm going to do with a can of bacon; at some point, I will bring it out to the field during an ex and share it with "about 18" soldiers, as per the recommended serving information.

"I firmly believe that bacon has the potential to bring about world peace!" - Anonymous (on TACBAC can)

:rofl:

Great read RHFC_Piper!!

Ah, the things we learn from a soldier that has had a few to many wobbly pops!!
Who knew 18 servings of bacon while drunk is a bad combo? Haha

milnews.ca said:

I remember eating that stuff as well - not bad for canned food.

I think the real question is: if someone found a can of the old 70's era IRP bacon, would you still be willing to open it and eat it?

I remember it too, it was so damn salty as well.  Great just out of the can.  What I really miss from those rats as well was the little can of cheddar cheese in the olive green can that was the size of a kiwi tin. 

Lung in a bag was evil, I brought a rat home to show my kids and they ate the damn thing right out of the bag, cold, and thought it was great fun.  I almost gagged and died on the spot.

I think the real question is: if someone found a can of the old 70's era IRP bacon, would you still be willing to open it and eat it?
[/quote]
Ummmm... NO!  :P It was great at the time, as was the Underwood Devilled ham and the little tins of hash.  As for the sardines?  Not so much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Underwood_1921.jpg
>:D

I had one of their typewriters.  :)

RHFC_piper said:

For anyone who finds meaning in the above quote, this recipe is for you:  (Caution:  Not for vegetarians, the squeamish or cholesterol-challenged)

Turbaconducken

Disclaimer:  I take no responsibility if you actually try this recipe, but please let me know if you do so I can keep an eye out for the resulting article in "Safety Digest".  ;)

Occam said:
For anyone who finds meaning in the above quote, this recipe is for you:  (Caution:  Not for vegetarians, the squeamish or cholesterol-challenged)

Turbaconducken

Disclaimer:  I take no responsibility if you actually try this recipe, but please let me know if you do so I can keep an eye out for the resulting article in "Safety Digest".  ;)

I guess they've forgotten about the billion or so muslims and jews etc...

Looks a little too human for my palate.

aka "Swine Flew".  :)

Back