• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supporting our Wounded Soldiers - Discussion of Various Funds Available

And why would you consider it such a bad thing for the Association to encourage Regimental members to join?  It's not as if joining the Association is the price of the package. 

Why are you reading into what I have posted, seems clear to me,
I have a problem with the association trying to recruit new members with these packages.

And maybe be able to have the soldiers of today who will join, and offer an input on what best to put in the package.

There is no concpiracy theory that I see.

dileas

tess

Gents I really don't see anything wrong with info on the association in these care packages. It doesnot mean these men and women will sign up but maybe there are members of the PPCLI that don't know what the association is all about and it will steer them one way or the other,who knows but its not as if there is some BIG HAIRY MONSTER of a Sergent standing over these people making them sign on the dotted line, is there?

:)I am impressed with the initiative of those ppcli involved in looking out for those in need of some personal care. those needing that personal touch wont let anyone know that they need it and keep their strength to appear strong , as a survival mechanism. i know from personal experience as a sufferer of ptsd that the caring of others is so necessary and that the uncaring of some is so destructive. I was with the ppcli first battalion in calgary and am currently a calgary police officer involved in the fatal shooting of a Sudanese male after he had stabbed me in the bicep. the lack of support during crucial moments is devastating. Great work on the support for those in need, ira

Who gives a rat's ass what flag or application is in the package. What if it was the Legion? Who really cares? If I was still there, and wounded, I'd have no problem putting the PPCLI flag on my table if they sent it to me. It would be a reminder that SOMEONE in Canada was still thinking of me.

I guess it's easy to to see fault in a simple gesture when your head is up your ass.

Good day to all.  Before I begin, let me introduce myself, I am the Regimental Adjutant for the PPCLI and I am also the Secretary/Treasurer for the PPCLI Association.  This website was referred to me from my counterpart in the RCR.  It was good to see all of the comments regarding the endeavor that the PPCLI Association initiated, OPERATION SMALL PACK.  I would like to clear up some misinformation regarding some of the comments made in this forum.  The intent of the PPCLI Association was to assist and support the soldiers, regardless of originating unit/MOC/trade, of the Task Force.  We, the Regiment believe that once you have worked along side, with, or attached in any capacity, you are one of us.  I have found in my current job, and after having spent some time in our different Battalions and other units, that most of our soldiers, until they are releasing/retiring do not know that the PPCLI Association exists!  This was not a recruiting drive, nor an attempt to gain awareness by the Association, it was truly an endeavor to assist soldiers by soldiers.  Included in each PACK, was a letter from our President, letting each soldier know that we, the PPCLI Association are here to support them.  Attached to the bag was a tag, with the Association logo, on how to contact the Association, should the receiving soldier wish to do so.  I can confirm, that there was no hidden agenda by the Association, should anyone require more information you can contact me directly at:  radjt@ppcli.com

Once a Patricia, Always a Patricia

Thank you. I know IMPO this is a good idea and thanks to the association for doing this for our guys and gals in theater.

What a fantastic idea.  I was talking to my husband who is a retired Patricia and he thinks that this is a great idea.  We all hope that these small packs need not be used but it is a great gesture on behalf of the association to do this for all those soldiers who may happen to pass through Germany in a time of need.

Elisha

Great idea, IMHO.

As to the Regimental Association hitting up the injured for new members, it's kind of a non - issue for the Patricias. We are all forced, I mean, encouraged to make our regimental donations, and up them when promoted. Those who neglect to make the appropriate contribution are usually expected to explain their actions to their CoC. Needless to say, compliance is high. ;)

If the injured Sappers, Gunners, Tankers and assorted militia are too steeped in unit pride to wear PPCLI PT gear as opposed to an easy access gown, they are more than welcome to send it back.

I'll take it if I get hurt!

One reason for joining the Regimental Associations:

Just prior to the Second World War the Bn in Victoria had some horses. These were used for the CO, DCO and others for parades. Defaulters had the duty to clean out the stables and dispose of the manure. For those of you familiar with the Macaulay point area the ground is not hospitable for growing gardens. At the end of the day certain defaulters would sell the manure off to local wives for use in their gardens. This then provide funds for a trip to the saloons and red light establishments on Johnson Street and usually resulted in an appearance on defaulters parade again. Well some accountant type in Ottawa sent as message inquiring why the remittance by the Bn. in Victoria for 'official' manure sales was less than the other serving Bn. This message was passed down the chain of command to be addressed and answered. A Sergent who could not read ended up with the request for an answer took it to one of the defaulters who could and asked for help. The defaulter read the message and quickly sensed the end of free piss ups replied "Sergent, we pile the manure outside and all this rain just washes it away". This answer was carefully written down and forwarded back to Ottawa. In the next years budget lol and behold was funding to build a roof over the manure storage pile. Now this tid bit of regimental history plus a selection of photo's and maps from the pre war period earned this Patricia an A+ on a geography paper. The original teller of the story received a condensed course in computer operations allowing him the chance to communicate with members he had been out of touch with for over forty years, plus the ability to order directly from the kit shop. If your are ever in Victoria and see a 90+ year old guy shuffling down the board walk in brand new PPCLI sweats there is proof the Association lives on.

All,

The Royal Canadian Regiment Association has put together a program to help provide some essential kit for wounded soldiers who arrive in Germany with NOTHING....It goes to all of our wounded, regardless of Reg. affiliation. Details on the program can be found here:

http://www.execulink.com/~thercran/newsletter.htm

Support to Afghanistan Task Force

As detailed in the Minutes, it was decided at the AGM to support the 1st Battalion by carrying on the same support to the Task Force as that provided in the past by the PPCLI Association. When seriously wounded or injured soldiers must be emergency evacuated through Germany to Canada there is insufficient time for their kit to accompany them, and they arrive without a uniform, shaving kit, etc. It may be several weeks before their personal kit catches up to them. To solve the problem, the Association will provide a hospital pack to accompany them, consisting of a sports bag with underwear, shaving kit, T shirts, track suit with the Regimental logo. This would be provided to all emergency evacuated personnel of the Task Force regardless of regimental affiliation.

Cost of each pack is $100, and it was agreed at the AGM that the Association would make an initial purchase of up to 25 packs. Branches or individuals are invited to participate by purchasing one, two, or whatever number of packs. Cheques should be made out to The RCR Fund and forwarded to the Chairman, RCR Association at London ON. Individuals will receive a receipt for a charitable donation. A letter will be enclosed with each pack, informing that the pack is provided through The RCR Association, with the name and address of the Branch or donor.

Cheques can be sent to:

The RCR Fund
c/o Chairman, The RCR Association
750 Elizabeth St. - London, ON. - N5Y 4T7

I understand that they'll accept any sized donation, as not everyone is going to be equipped to send a full $100. Your generosity is appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

I would also suggest dropping Soldiers Angels an email to see if they can provide personal items to wounded Canadian soldiers.

dmackay@soldiersangels.org

http://www.military.com/MilitaryReport/0,12914,106326,00.html

for a picture of the contents go to this link

http://xsorbit27.com/users5/thercrassociationmessageboard/index.php/topic,1569/post-7366#msg7366

Dave

Soldiers Angels has volunteers at Landstuhl and would be able to visit with Canadian wounded ASAP. They have packs filled with all the items that wounded soldiers can use. They have done alot of good and continue to do so.

I have sent this to Unit #95 ANAVETS in New Brunswick (I'm a past President; Mrs Fiddlehead is the current Pres) and they plan to support this program to the best of their ability. They have also forwarded to Dominion Command, in hopes that Dominion, and othe ANAVETS Units across Canada will consider supporting it.

A clarification though - this point of contact (the RCR) will get packs to the troops that need them, regardless of who is manning the Roto (VanDoos, RCDs, PPCLI, etc)?

This initiative follows the Operation SMALL PACK created by the PPCLI Association.  The Hospital Packs are provided to any soldier of the task force who requires one on evacuation to hospital out of theatre, regardless of cap badge.  The packs are being assembled by the 1RCR Kit Shop.

cas1-1.jpg

http://thercr.ca/hospital_packs.htm

They don't make the sick PPCLIs wear RCR t-shirts do they???  :o

Thanks, Michael, for the clarification...  ;)

Back