• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sun Papers: CF AWOL Cases Up Since 9-11

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2006/07/13/pf-1682327.html

July 13, 2006

AWOL Canucks have doubled
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, SUN OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA -- The number of Canadian soldiers who have gone absent without leave has doubled in the last six years, Sun Media has learned.

Records obtained through access to information show 708 troops were convicted of going AWOL in 2005 - more than two times the 340 who were convicted of the offence in 2000. Numbers show a sharp rise after 2001, when the terrorist attacks in the U.S. propelled Canada's military into a more dangerous, combative role abroad.

But the Department of National Defence insists the dramatic increase is not related to the changing military deployment.

Spokesman Lieut. Desmond James said brass are not concerned with the rise in AWOL convictions because the numbers correlate to a general increase in new Canadian Forces recruits, and the "vast majority" are for those cutting out early or reporting late for duty.

Charges are considered relatively minor with punishment meant to maintain "good order and discipline. You'll find that the majority of charges are the newer people who are joining," James said.

But Steve Staples of the Polaris Institute called the numbers "astounding" and suggested they reflect a growing disillusionment among some Canadian troops.

"The fact that it's increasing dramatically along the lines of the escalation of our involvement in Afghanistan makes sense in terms of the evolving role there, where we've moved away from traditional peacekeeping operations to real combat," he said.

"These numbers set a context for the comments we heard recently from Cpl. (Anthony) Boneca, that he felt misled."

Slow news day.  AWOL could be a guy five minutes late for work, or a guy somewhere else on base and a supervisor being an arse and charging him for not being where "he" felt he should be. 

I really get upset though when they end it with a CHEAP SHOT at the end.  And the Press who come here and complain about our attitude to them wonder why.  This is the lack of credibility in their profession that they are building themselves, not the readership.

And apparently, despite the notation in the article that these are overwhelmingly the younger/newer recruits being charged; the media has once again chosen to throw in a quote from immediately below that links this "astounding" increase to "disillusinment," "misleading," and (wait for it) the requirement to serve in war-torn Afghanistan.

Perhaps, as pointed out earlier in the article these rates are a direct reflection of the increased number of recruits into the CF during this same time period. I'm sure that a freedom of information request (by some unbiased journalistic sources) to determine exactly how many of those charged with AWOA since Sept 2001  actually volunteered to serve in the CF after that very date would be very telling.

According to the quote, one is led to believe these pers were misled and had no idea that they joined the military and would possibly be required to serve in the war-torn country that is Afghanistan. Give me a break. This is more than likely the exact reason most of them joined! Funny thing it is how some pers feel that sense of duty to volunteer to serve (and possibly die) their country in increased numbers during times of conflict. This great nation of ours has a history of Military volunteerism during conflict dating even prior to the Great Wars.

Traditional Peacekeeping Operations? Although I have served with the UN, that is far from the reason I joined the CF. I am not a 'peacekeeper;' I insist that I am a soldier first and foremost, a tradesman second, and a female last. The very same thing any other soldier in this great outfit will tell you. It was the very first thing they taught us on basic training. When I was sworn into the CF, I swore to serve this Country, and if necessary to give up my life in that service to Her. Obviously, I was not misled into signing on the dotted line.

We did not hear any comments about being 'misled' from Cpl Boneca (contradictory to the quote in the article) nor were any comments to that effect made by him in his published e-mails. What we did hear was the comments of his girlfriend and her father.

Cpl Boneca has served this Nation honourably, justly and proudly as his relatives and fellow soldiers have affirmed. Would those publishing articles please refrain from allowing the linking of his ultimate sacrifice into someone's personal or political objectives or vendettas? He has already given Canada all that he had to give; he owes Her absolutely nothing more.

Sementics.........and easily fixed, call it something else when its less than,say ,4 hours and then this article drops to "55 troops awol" and "653 were "late for duty".

Nothing to make a whiny story about in those stats......

MORE TROOPS MEANS MORE AWL: MILITARY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number of Canadian soldiers who have gone absent without leave has doubled in the last six years, Sun Media has learned.

Records obtained through access to information show 708 troops were convicted of going AWL in 2005 -- more than two times the 340 who were convicted of the offence in 2000. Numbers show a sharp rise after 2001, when the 9/11 terrorist attacks propelled Canada's military into a more dangerous, combative role abroad.

But the Department of National Defence insists the increase is not related.

Spokesman Lieut. Desmond James said brass are not concerned with the rise in AWL convictions because the numbers correlate to a general increase in new recruits, and the "vast majority" are for those cutting out early or reporting late for duty, charges considered relatively minor.

But Steve Staples of the Polaris Institute, a left-leaning Ottawa lobby group, called the numbers "astounding.

"The fact that it's increasing dramatically along the lines of the escalation of our involvement in Afghanistan makes sense in terms of the evolving role there -- where we've moved away from traditional peacekeeping operations to real combat." KEYWORDS=CANADA

-----------------------

Hmm. I'm going to make a call here and say that I suspect most of these charges are originating out of PAT platoons, where idle hands make devil's work. Nothing to do with Afghanistan at all. The CDA should slam Mr. Staples over his logical fallacies instead of playing kid-gloves with him like they did over his financial "figures"...

Slow news day.  AWOL could be a guy five minutes late for work, or a guy somewhere else on base and a supervisor being an arse and charging him for not being where "he" felt he should be. 

Couldn't agree more George.  Few weeks ago we had a conversation at work about a great soldier who in 4 years was never late once.  One morning he was caught up and arrived 14 minutes late for work and he was charged for it.

Unlike the civilian world, running 5 minutes late in the army can have some serious consiquences.

That article seems very biased to me.

But Steve Staples of the Polaris Institute called the numbers "astounding" and suggested they reflect a growing disillusionment among some Canadian troops.

That OR traffic is bad. You try going ANYWHERE in a hurry at CFB petawawa around 8 am or 4 pm.

Well, when you consider how many members are in the CF currently, 708 is peanuts, especially over a time frame of almost 5 years.

The media are grasping at anything they can now, and it isn't very becoming of them. Makes them look rather desperate, IMO.

This Staples guy is really grasping at straws.. talk about reading more into this than necessary. What's the old saying? There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Most of our AWOL customers at the Digger are here because, as NorthStar stated "Idle hands are the devils workshop." They're not dodging the war, they're out getting drunk, don't have an alarm clock (that was an actual excuse from one our past inmates why he was consistently late for work by the way) and just being stupid, you know typical dumbass stuff we used to do when we were Privates. Next

How many employees of Sun Media were late for work during the same period?

"I think this shows a general disillusionment with the role of the media in today's society" said an Army.ca member, codenamed "Haggis".

Haggis said:
How many employees of Sun Media were late for work during the same period?

"I think this shows a general disiilusionment with the role of the media in today's society" said an Army.ca member, codenamed "Haggis".

You realize that you have just broken OPSEC, don't you?  :o

GAP said:
You realize that you have just broken OPSEC, don't you?  :o

Again!?!?  Darn.  I guess it's time for me to go on leave.

I think I need to take a break from the media for awhile. I've emailed my family and friends back home in Canada and asked them to cancel their subscriptions to any newspapers.

Still disgusted,

HH

Absolutely amazing!  I have only ever seen 2 people go "over the fence" in 21 yrs of service.  However I have seen seen 100's of AWOL charges during that time and yes the vast majority of them were for being 5-30 mins late.  I was actually charged once for being 2 min late (back in the day).  It astounds me what some people will do for their 15 mins of fame.

there is the unwritten rule which i still try to live by in my own life, not 5 minutes early  your late?
hate to say this but can the study  be broken to
course awol?
op taskings awol ?
and just plain everyday awol?

willing to bet the charges would be more on the course side of the life then the everyday  late charges then many on the operational tasking awol.
lots of studies can be made to read what  the person writing the study wants it to show.

maybe some Sgt Majors and RSMs have had it with some timings not being meant and decided that  it was time to use the book and teach some lessons.  Not like too many soldiers ran away from the army.

milnewstbay said:
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2006/07/13/pf-1682327.html

AWOL Canucks have doubled
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, SUN OTTAWA BUREAU

"These numbers set a context for the comments we heard recently from Cpl. (Anthony) Boneca, that he felt misled."

This is the last line of the Edmonton publication, and the one that I personally find the most offensive.

there is the unwritten rule which i still try to live by in my own life, not 5 minutes early  your late?

I get a kick out of the guys who get dinged for not being 5 minutes early to their 10 minute early timing.

Ghost778 said:
I get a kick out of the guys who get dinged for not being 5 minutes early to their 10 minute early timing.
no lie: extras for being late for a timing. Which was (inhale) - 10 minutes prior to the Sect Comd's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the WO's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the CSM's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the RSM's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to parade.

G'head, add 'em up!

Just a stab in the dark....
15 minutes...

Hehe.

Quite simply, I cannot watch the news or read the papers now without thinking about the articles involving Cpl. Boneca and now reading this article about the AWOL cases only confirms my beleifs that the media is only out to exasperate and mislead readers and viewers. There seems to be no point anymore, as to all news relating to the CF and to Afghanistan is always going to be bogged down by simple political backstabbing. The lack of research, the lack of heart, and the lack of intellegence in many newspapers over the past week have proven this. The media cannot seem to understand the role and the meaning behind the CF, and will find every means possible to break it down. Unfortunatly, they believe they can take every shot as us because the CF in Afghanistan not wearin the special blue booties and helmets and none of them are in Darfur.

What disgusts me more with the news is that they are rarely taking the position to correct their mistakes, or even apologize. If they do so, it's in the back or out of the view. They present nothing but bad information and bad reportings. To be honest I have seen, written, and experienced better reporting and more intellegence in my first two years of high school english classes. At least most students I knew back then had the idea and an open mind.

That last line in the article confirms this. They don't say "may have felt misled", or "maybe questioned his role", but finish with ""These numbers set a context for the comments we heard recently from Cpl. (Anthony) Boneca, that he felt misled.". What? You were contacted from beyond the grave?

This means that the media does not care. They do not care about accuracy or about information. They left no room for a second guess or put in any words from the Father of his family. In fact, I find the presense of that quote in this article to be fact that the media only wants to manipulate what information they were given; and mislead viewers and readers.

There is a strong difference between BAD news and BAD reporting. BAD news is accepted, as it is FACT. BAD reporting is unacceptable, as it only misleads and misinterprets information.

I am not yet in the CF yet. My name and my profile only outlines what I hope to be in the future. I will leave this August for my start and hopefully my outlined profile and my motivation from family will keep me going. However, so far it seems to me that I will be working for a (sometimes) grateful nation(yes, hippies I'm looking at you), but an ungrateful media. There have been articles and pieces in the past that were well written, well informed, and well done even if it were bad news. But now it seems they (the media) are grabbing for every negative piece of the pie they can. "Mmmm, this part is a bit flaky and lacks a little colour. Maybe we shoud spice it up a bit with some whip cream."

I don't like writing long speeches like this. Maybe from now on any opinion I have should only made in short satire prose. At least it made me happy writing it.

I just hope I'm never placed in the same boat, truck, car, or room as a reporter or journalist. A hard fart and a loud belch might be considered a violent action. Scratching might be a moral loss among members of the CF. Shifting in my seat might be a sign of laziness.

paracowboy said:
no lie: extras for being late for a timing. Which was (inhale) - 10 minutes prior to the Sect Comd's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the WO's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the CSM's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to the RSM's timing, which was 10 minutes prior to parade.

G'head, add 'em up!

That's how "Ensure Forced Rest (if time permits)" always falls off the bottom of Battle Procedure. ::)

I find that here, at NDHQ, timings are sometimes missed.  Mostly because of the difficulty in moving between buildings dispersed all over the NCR for meetings/appointments.  People are always straggling in, but it's a fact of life here as the CF has better things to spend money on right now than one big Pentagon North (Octagon??  ;D) like, say, ammo.

Now if I were a guy who wanted to REALLY clamp down on people (and, by extension, give myself even more work) I could lay a new AWOL charge each week, skewing the stats even more, when all that is really required is an understanding of the working environment in any major metropolitan area (which affects private enterprise as much as it does the CF).  But, if the Polaris Group wants a new bone to chew.....

Back