• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Subtle messages in society

• Thread starter Thread starter Kunu
  • Start date Start date
K

Kunu

I went shopping at Mountain Equipment Co-op this morning, and just as I was entering the place, I noticed a sign on the doors which made me just a tad peeved.   It indicated that on Rememberance Day, out of respect they would open at a later time of 1200 instead of ~0900 or whenever.   All nice and fine.   Unfortunately, the sign did not end there.  It went on to read, "we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."  

Is it just me, or is this yet another example of the subtle messages that are largely responsible for the Canadian public's increasing level of apathy for the sacrifices made so we can enjoy all the things that make this country worth living in?    

They should be closed on Nov 11.

Do what I do: don't shop anywhere on Christmas, Nov 11, or Thanksgiving. If we stop shopping on those days, they'll stop opening on those days. As far as Christmas goes, I don't even get gas on that day. Those poor buggers have to work, but if the gas stations (for instance) lost money, the owner would close it on that day.

This does not extend to bars on Nov 11th.

shudders  :o

At least they are closed at 1100.

Many in the corporate world work on Nov 11 to get an extra day off at Christmas, the assholes.

Actually, I really don't care if people take that day off or not. I'm actually not so sure about the value of it being a stat hol, since it just gives a bunch of wanks )(who couldn't care less) another day off work. I am more concerned that people make that time on the morning of Nov 11 to go to a cenotaph service or at least to take that one minute pause. If Canadians honestly do that, and put some heart into it, I could care less what they do the rest of the day. Cheers.

This year, our firm has removed newspapers and magazines from the front lobby where clients wait. For the period of November 1 to November 12, there are a number of hardcover copies of books on Canadian military history in place of the newspapers. Last year, for the first time, a Canadian flag was placed in the Ante Room, it has not been removed since, and a painting of the Vimy Ridge memorial is now in place. Everybody was reminded that we are located 2 minutes walk from the Cenotaph, and while attendance at the cermonies is not mandatory, it will certainly be noted. I was very pleased, this whole sea change came from the under age 25 crowd in the workplace, none of whom ever served a day in the military. So, there is a certain degree of momentum out there to carry the torch, it just seems to take the right combination of people to put it together.
And, I agree with PBI... the idea of a holiday seems rather insignificant when compared to the meaning of the day. It's not Labour Day, there is no class struggle at work. It's just a day to remember the sacrifices of the fallen ... for too many families, they still struggle with that sorrow decades later. 

One of the former Brigade COS had invited students from a local school to attend the service here at Wolseley Barracks. I have revived this to a certain extent by inviting my daughter's school to have a class attend, and my wife (who is also a member), attend's that school's ceremony.

If you have time, try to get the local schools to send a class to your base/unit's parade, or attend at your children's school. Showing the flag to our young people can only help.

While I agree with pbi that it doesn't really matter about the holiday as long as there is genuine remembrance; I am glad it is a holiday.  Otherwise, some of us working schmucks would have to resort to begging for the day off to attend our parades.  Now THAT'S sad.

When our school has a Rememberance Day Assembly, which is often planed extensivly in advance, we had the privilage of having an officer from The Argyll Sutherland Highlanders, and 8 soldiers come to our school as a speaker and as the Honor Gaurd for our color party. I'm trying to arrange that this year but I've not had as much luck, or any for that matter. :cdn: :salute:

P.S. I'm not yet a member of the Armed forces, But I intend to apply in January.

At one time in Manitoba, stores could only sell bread and milk on Remembrance Day, Everything else was closed. It was deemed archaic (shades of Nova Scotia's recent Sunday shopping vote) and now everything is open at noon, And I would bet the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce is itching to change that also. (can't afford to lose a buck.) We are quickly moving towards the 24/7 consumer world, where consumption is more important then remembrance.

It is up to those that care, to spread the word, and ensure that "We Do Not Forget Them". Do not shop on that day, and encourage all those around you do do likewise. The buck speaks louder then indignation.

As a minor point, Remembrance Day isn't a stat, it is considered a special holiday (this could vary from province to provice, but working use to be double time as opposed to time and half).

I agree on the point that Remembrance Day should not be a statutory holiday if the meaning of the day is lost as a result. However, I still believe strongly that more employers should remind their employees of the significance of the day and to at least observe a minute of silence at the appropriate hour.

As an example, with one of my previous employers, the security guards would announce over the PA that we would be observing a minute of silence at 11 AM to remember the sacrifices of those soldiers who gave their lives for our freedom. After the minute was up, the guard would thank us for our cooperation and then we would go on with our working day. At least the point was made.

An even greater example is last year's Remembrance Day with my current employer. I was asked to present a wreath on behalf of the Canadian Red Cross at last year's National Remembrance Day Ceremonies. I asked my manager at the time to take the morning off, offering to make up the time later, since we don't usually get time off for Remembrance Day. Without hesitation, he responded, "Don't worry about making up the time, it's a good cause!" Of course, it helped having had a manager who was ex-PPCLI. :)

Unfortunately, I have a new manager now who, while having had previous (compulsory) military experience, doesn't seem to share the same viewpoint, so I'm accumulating extra hours to take the day off for this year's ceremony, since I have no more vacation days this year. :P

Good to see so much community involvement and interest. This has also been my experience, and I encourage everybody to get out there and represent the Army on Nov 11. Canadians need to combine respectful memory of the fallen with a present awareness that we are here, ready to serve, and that Canadian soldiers (not "peacekeepers") get killed and injured too. Cheers.

Back