• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

St Patricks Day

• Thread starter Thread starter MattD
  • Start date Start date
once a Patricia  ALWAYS  a Patricia  .  wonder what sort of trouble the once's can get into here in Esquimalt / victoria ... i know a few but must track em down see if we can have a real game of broom a loo .... ;)

How many posting in here are Irish Catholic?  My Dad was 'pure bred', as my grandfather came from Ireland (Co Louth) to Quebec and then crossed the border and did three years in the US Cavalry.  My mother was Francophone so I can niether claim a 'pure bred' Paddy or the 'pure laine'!

Much enjoying this thread.

Happy St. Patty's day from Montreal - best St. P's day parade in North America. Nothing like drinking on the streets of Montreal in front of the police and no hassles. :D

Bunch more here...

When the Irish say that St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland, what they don't tell you is that he was the only one who saw any snakes!

Pat and Kyran were getting ready to go on a camping trip. The first one said "I'm taking along a gallon of whiskey just in case of rattlesnake bites. What are you taking?" The other one said "Two rattlesnakes!"

Seamus do you understand French, I do if its spoken in Irish

"T''was the Irish what invented the pipes, you know, and they gave them to the Scots as a joke.  And you Scots have'nt gotten the joke yet!!"

What have Irishmen and Jesus Christ got in common?
The both lived with their mother until they were 33 and neither had  a job.

One night I was chatting with my Mum about how she had changed as a mother from the first child to the last. She told me she had mellowed a lot over the years: "When your oldest sister coughed or sneezed, I called the ambulance. When your youngest brother swallowed a penny, I just told him it was coming out of his allowance." 

Why did God invent whiskey?
So the Irish would never rule the world.

Why does it take five Irishmen to change a lightbulb?
One to change the bulb.
Four to remark about how grand the old bulb was.

An American and an Irishman were enjoying a ride in the country when they came upon an unusual sight - an old gallows. The American thought he would have a joke on his Irish companion.  "You see that, I reckon," said he to the Irishman, pointing to the gallows. "And now where would you be if the gallows had its due?"  "Riding alone," coolly replied Paddy.

An Irish man is sittin in a pub one night when 3 Englishmen walked in. The men sit down, and start to talk about how they can anger the Irishman... The first man says, "Watch this..." He gets up, walks over to the Irishman, and says, "Hey man, I hear your St. Patrick was a faggot." The Irishman just replies, "Oh, is that so now?" The Englishman, goes back to his seat perplexed, when his friend jumps up and says, "Here, lemme try that." So he goes over to the Irishman and says, "Hey man, I hear your St. Patrick was a transvestite faggot!" The Irishman only replies, "Oh, is that so now?" So the Englishman, frustrated goes and sits down with his friends. When the 3rd Englishman jumps up and says, "Well, now, I gotta try that!" So he walks over to the Irishman and says, "Hey, I hear your St. Patrick was  an ENGLISHMAN!"
And the Irishman replies, "Aye, that's what your friends were sayin."

An air freight flight flying across the Pacific to Australia was also carrying five passengers:  an American, A Frenchman, a German, an Englishman, and an Irishman.  They'd almost reached their destination near Australia, when one of the plane's four engines caught on fire.  "Don't worry!" said the pilot, as he activated the fire extinguishers and feathered the prop, "this plane was designed to fly on just two engines.  We'll be fine!"
            A little while later, an engine on the other wing coughed and sputtered and stopped.  The plane appeared to be slowly losing altitude when the pilot came on the intercom and said:  "don't worry men, this plane can still fly on two engines, but we're going to have to lighten the load."
            The copilot came back into the cabin and opened a rear door.  He then directed the five men in helping to jettison the crates that the plane was carrying.  Once all the crates were out, he secured the door and went back to the forward cabin.  The plane still appeared to be losing altitude.  The pilot came back on the intercom and said, "I'm sorry gentlemen, but the plane's still too heavy and I'm going to have to ask some of you to jump out.  There are parachutes in a storage cabinet.  We are still over the sea, but I will radio ahead and try to have someone send a rescue boat out to get you."  The copilot came back to the main cabin, dug out the parachutes from a storage cabinet, stacked them up next to the side door and opened it.
            The American jumped up, grabbed a parachute, strapped it on, walked to the door, turned to the others and shouted "God Bless America!!!" and jumped out. The copilot called the pilot on the intercom, but the pilot said the plane was still too heavy.  The copilot looked at the other four men and told them what the pilot said and raised his eyebrows.  The Frenchman stood up, picked up a parachute and strapped it on, walked to the door, turned to the others and said, "Vive La France," and jumped out.
            The copilot checked again and the pilot said the plane was still too heavy.  He turned around and looked at the remaining three men. "I'm sorry guys, but someone else is going to have to jump!"
            The German sighed and stood up next, strapped on a parachute, strode to the door and yelled "Deutschland Uber Alles," and without looking back, jumped out. The copilot checked with the pilot again only to hear him say they were still too heavy.  The copilot looked from the Englishman to the Irishman and said, "Gentlemen, someone else has to go.  You have a decision
to make.  I think one more just might do it!"  The Irishman jumped up and said, "Not a problem!" He grabbed the Englishman by the collar, dragged him to the door and threw him out the door
without a parachute, and shouted, "Up the Republic!!!"

An Irishman was having coffee and croissants with butter and jam in a cafe
when an English tourist, chewing gum, sat down next to him. The Irishman
politely ignored the Englishman, who, nevertheless, started up a
conversation. The Englishman snapped his gum and asked, "Do you Irish people
eat the whole bread?" The Irishman frowned, annoyed with being bothered
during his breakfast, and replied, "Of course." The Englishman blew a huge
bubble. "We don't. In England, we only eat what's inside. We collect the
crusts in a container, recycle them, transform them into croissants and sell
them to Ireland." The Englishman had a smirk on his face. The Irishman
listened in silence. The Englishman persisted. "Do you eat jam with the
bread?" Sighing, the Irishman replied, "Of course." Cracking his gum between
his teeth, the Englishman said, "We don't. In England, we eat fresh fruit
for breakfast, then we put all the peels, seeds, and leftovers in
containers, recycle them, transform them into jam and sell it to Ireland."
The Irishman then asked, "Do you have sex in England?"
The Englishman smiled and said, "Why of course we do."
The Irishman leaned closer to him and asked,
"And what do you do with the condoms once you've used them?"
"We throw them away, of course," replied the Englishman.
Now it was the Irishman's turn to smile.
"We don't. In Ireland, we put them in a container, recycle them, melt them
down into chewing gum and sell them to England.
Why do you think it's called 'Wrigley's'?"

Seamus O Brien had been hailed the most intelligent Irish man for three years running. He had topped such shows as Larry Gogans 'Just a Minute Quiz' and 'Quicksilver' (before Bunny Carrs demise). It was suggested by the Irish Mensa board that he should enter into the English Mastermind Championships. He Did, and won a place. On they evening of the competition, Seamus enters from the crowd and placed himself on the Leather Seat and made himself comfortable. The lights dimmed and a spot light pointed at his face.
Magnus said "Seamus, What Subject are you studying?." Seamus responded, "Irish History". Very well said Magnus, Your first Question,
"In what year did the 'Easter Rising take Place?'
Seamus responds .."Pass"
OK said Magnus, "Who was the Leader of the Easter Rising?",
Seamus Responds .."Pass"
OK said Magnus, How long did the Easter Rising Last?"
Seamus Responds.. "Pass"
Instantly, a voice shout from the Crowd, "Good Man Seamus....Tell the English Nothing...."

Two English ladies were discussing their vacation plans on a London street corner near an Irish lady. "We're planning a lovely holiday in Devon this year," said one. "Oh you oughtn't to do that," said the other, "there are Irish there! It would be awful." "Dear me!" said the first lady. "Well where are you going?" "Salisbury," she replied. "But Salisbury is simply crawling with Irish!" the first objected. At this point the Irish lady could no longer hold her tongue. "Why don't ye go t' hell," she suggested. "There be no Irish there!"

An IRA man shows up at the pearly gates and St. Peter comes out to greet him. St. Peter takes one look and says "I don't think you can get in here.The IRA man says"Who wants in? You've twenty minutes to get the *#!@ out!

A Sergeant and a Private were patrolling the streets in a Irish town near the Northern Irish border. There was a 9.00PM curfew in place. Suddenly private Slattery shoots a man walking down a lane. The sergeant screams, Slattery its only 8.45, why did you shoot him, Slattery replies, well I know where he lives and he would never have made it by 9.00.

These two lads were in the army. One was Irish and One was Jewish. They were doubling around the square, and when they were halted, the Jewish boy, puffing, said to the Irish Lad, "I hate doubling, paddy." The Irish lad said, "I'm not too keen on Tel Aviv, either.".

Young O'Donnell rushed into a church, placed his rifle under a pew and entered the confessional. "Father," he said breathlessly, "I've just shot down two British lieutenants!" Hearing no response he went on: "I also knocked off a British captain!" When there was still no response from the priest, O'Donnell said, "Father, have ye fainted?" "Of course I haven't fainted," replied the confessor. "I'm waitin' for you to stop talkin' politics and commence confessin' your sins!"

Saddam Hussein is sitting at home when the phone rings. He picks it up and says "Hello". The voice at the end of the phone says "Hello Mr. Hussein, it's Paddy here. I'm just ringing to let you know that we've declared war on your country." SH smiles to himself, "Come on Paddy", he says, "there's no point you declaring war on us, you wouldn't stand a chance." Paddy replies, "No, no,we've had ourselves a meeting, and we've decided to declare war on you." So SH says, "OK Paddy, now listen, I've got an air force of over a thousand planes, what kind of air force have you got to match that? It'd be over in no time." So Paddy says, "Well my lad's got himself a hot-air balloon, and my brother used to work at an airport." Hussein laughs, "Oh come on, you've not got a hope". "Hold on a sec, Mr.Hussein, ", Paddy says, "we'll just have a quick meeting." So off he goes and has a quick meeting. "Are you still there Mr. Hussein? Yes, well we've had our meeting, and we've decided that we're still going to declare war." So SH says, "Right then Paddy, well you know, as well as the air force, we've also got about a thousand tanks. How are you going to match that.""Well," Paddy says, "I've got an old Austin, and my cousin down the road has got a tractor." "Get real, " says SH, "that's no match at all." So Paddy says, "Hold on, I'll just go and have another meeting.""Are you still there Mr. Hussein? Yes, well we've had our meeting, and we've decided that we're still going to declare war." SH thinks this is just amazing, "Well how many soldiers have you got Paddy?". "Well," says Paddy, "there's me, my kid, me 4 cousins, and they all had sons, and there's Bill down the road.... I reckon I could get together about 30." Laughing openly now SH replies, "Come on Paddy, I've got 10,000 highly trained fighting men at my disposal. I think you'd better go and have another meeting." "I will", says Paddy, "I will.""Are you still there Mr. Hussein? Yes, well we've had our meeting, and we've decided that we're not going to declare war on you after all." "At last, " replies SH, "What made you change your mind?""Well, it's those 10 thousand soldiers you see. We can't declare war on you because we've not got the facilities to keep all those prisoners!"

The mistress of a big English house called her Irish maid and pointed out the dust still on top of the piano. 'Mary' she said 'I could write my name in this dust'. Mary responded 'Isn't education a grand thing ma'm'.

Q:    What were the Republicans doing while the Loyalists were building the Titanic?
A:    Building an iceberg.

An English MP was addressing a crowd in Belfast.  He stated to the masses "I was born an Englishman, I've lived an Englishman, and by God I shall die an Englishman!"  Then, from the back of the crowd, a voice yelled "Shite
man, have ye no ambition?"

That's all for now...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day gentlemen....

flag1.gif

yes happy saint Patrick's day everyone.  hope you all party hard. :)

is the story of saint patrick about him chasing snacks out of Ireland?  i have not really ever known the real reason for st patrick day . if some one could post a brief summed up story about st patrick that would be great.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!
A blessing of Patrick be upon you all!

Today, everyone is in the Irish Regiment!

Fior Go Bas!

Mike

Erin Go Bragh!

I'm only a little Irish but I'm drinking alot.

2PM, my house is full of friends, suds and wee little Irish people.

"t'aint about the beer mickey, s'about the wee people and thar magic"

Happy St Paddy's day everyone! Today is the day when everyone is Irish, and no one is too young, espically in Quebec! Stay away from the green beer, if you want an Irish drink, get some whiskey.......or Guiness.....
-Hutch- said:
is the story of saint patrick about him chasing snacks out of Ireland?    i have not really ever known the real reason for st patrick day . if some one could post a brief summed up story about st patrick that would be great.

Who Was St. Patrick?
St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity's most widely known figures. But for all his celebrity, his life remains somewhat of a mystery. Many of the stories traditionally associated with St. Patrick, including the famous account of his banishing all the snakes from Ireland, are false, the products of hundreds of years of exaggerated storytelling.

Taken Prisoner By Irish Raiders
It is known that St. Patrick was born in Britain to wealthy parents near the end of the fourth century. He is believed to have died on March 17, around 460 A.D. Although his father was a Christian deacon, it has been suggested that he probably took on the role because of tax incentives and there is no evidence that Patrick came from a particularly religious family. At the age of sixteen, Patrick was taken prisoner by a group of Irish raiders who were attacking his family's estate. They transported him to Ireland where he spent six years in captivity. (There is some dispute over where this captivity took place. Although many believe he was taken to live in Mount Slemish in County Antrim, it is more likely that he was held in County Mayo near Killala.) During this time, he worked as a shepherd, outdoors and away from people. Lonely and afraid, he turned to his religion for solace, becoming a devout Christian. (It is also believed that Patrick first began to dream of converting the Irish people to Christianity during his captivity.)

Guided By Visions
After more than six years as a prisoner, Patrick escaped. According to his writing, a voiceâ ”which he believed to be God'sâ ”spoke to him in a dream, telling him it was time to leave Ireland. To do so, Patrick walked nearly 200 miles from County Mayo, where it is believed he was held, to the Irish coast. After escaping to Britain, Patrick reported that he experienced a second revelationâ ”an angel in a dream tells him to return to Ireland as a missionary. Soon after, Patrick began religious training, a course of study that lasted more than fifteen years. After his ordination as a priest, he was sent to Ireland with a dual missionâ ”to minister to Christians already living in Ireland and to begin to convert the Irish. (Interestingly, this mission contradicts the widely held notion that Patrick introduced Christianity to Ireland.)

Bonfires and Crosses
Familiar with the Irish language and culture, Patrick chose to incorporate traditional ritual into his lessons of Christianity instead of attempting to eradicate native Irish beliefs. For instance, he used bonfires to celebrate Easter since the Irish were used to honoring their gods with fire. He also superimposed a sun, a powerful Irish symbol, onto the Christian cross to create what is now called a Celtic cross, so that veneration of the symbol would seem more natural to the Irish. (Although there were a small number of Christians on the island when Patrick arrived, most Irish practiced a nature-based pagan religion. The Irish culture centered around a rich tradition of oral legend and myth. When this is considered, it is no surprise that the story of Patrick's life became exaggerated over the centuriesâ ”spinning exciting tales to remember history has always been a part of the Irish way of life. )

Not so short, but he deserves plenty of space.

So while we're all good n sauced
Let's relay our best stories.

I've forgotten mine already
Really though what a silly thing to do on St. Patricks day, i mean the bloody holiday is named after a Christian saint so we all go get good n bloody pissed because of it??
C'moooon...we should be in church r somefing.

Anyone see my liver I think I lost it somewhere on the way to the keyboard?

is the story of saint patrick about him chasing snacks out of Ireland?  i have not really ever known the real reason for st patrick day . if some one could post a brief summed up story about st patrick that would be great.

".... okay Krispy Kreme, I think you have been making people too fat. It's time for you to leave..... Whats that? you aren't going to go without a fight? Looks like it's time to kick ass (St. Patrick)" 

:blotto:

I was a bad Irishman yesterday,i didn't get too drunk.
Although after my first class in the morning (it ended at about noon) I went to the local campus pub with a couple friends and we hoisted several pints to honour St. Paddy.  Anyway, So at about 1345 I had grabbed another bottle of harp and was about t drink it when I noticed the time  I had class at 1400 that didn't want to miss it (Spatial Archaeology) - So I grabbed a big coke cup (you know, the cardboard ones you get in cafeterias and McDonald's) and poured my Harp into it.  Left the pub and went to class.  I must admit there is something rather fun about drinking a pint of beer while listening to a lecture on sampling techniques in archaeology.

Of course I was a little buzzed and the person next to me was able to smell the beer... but really, what can you do?

Back