• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sports while in the Canadian Forces...

ballz said:

I have CFAO-50-3 on hand and can post it.... it's like 10 pages long but would answer almost any questions to do with the CF and sports... Mods? Should I post it?

I think the link should do it.  The CFPSA page, found here:  http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/policies_e.asp  has many useful links, including CFAO 50-3.  Some links on that page (including CFAO 50-3) lead to DWAN only pages - which means that if you're not on a DWAN computer, you can't get to them.

I suspect that all who need the detailed policies will have access to a DWAN computer - no need to post entire articles, which may be amended at any time, making the posting not only redundant, but incorrect.

Roy

ballz said:
Well that doesn't make much sense. There's more injuries in many of the "official" CF sports than Muay Thai. Badminton (85% of elite badminton players are sidelined at some point due to an injury every year), Soccer, and Hockey both have a higher injury rate for sure, and isn't there a big Muay Thai thing at CFB Petawawa? Not to mention Tae Kwon Doe is an official CF sport... Seems pretty stupid to me.

I'm confident I'll get it approved and if not I'll go ahead and train in it anyway. I have no intentions in competing, I just want it in case there's ever a situation that requires it, plus it's hella fun and a good workout.

You can find many policies in which sense has not been applied.

If you've ever been to a kickboxing match (or watched K1 or anything) and have seen a Tae Kwon Do competition you'd see there's a gigantic difference.  When I was training Muay Thai in college I went to the Tae Kwon Do nationals that were held at RMC in 2004.  If you consider force of impact our Muay Thai sparring sessions were at a much higher level than the Tae Kwon Do competition.  Tae Kwon Do in this instance uses a points sparring system and this is the same as that used by the CF Tae Kwon Do.

prima6 said:
You can find many policies in which sense has not been applied.

If you've ever been to a kickboxing match (or watched K1 or anything) and have seen a Tae Kwon Do competition you'd see there's a gigantic difference.  When I was training Muay Thai in college I went to the Tae Kwon Do nationals that were held at RMC in 2004.  If you consider force of impact our Muay Thai sparring sessions were at a much higher level than the Tae Kwon Do competition.  Tae Kwon Do in this instance uses a points sparring system and this is the same as that used by the CF Tae Kwon Do.

AFAIK the points system is the standard for TKD and they use it in the Olympics. I know there's a dramatic difference in appearance and Muay Thai seems much more vicious but the stats (albeit awfully hard to come by) suggest otherwise.

"Only one study of Muay Thai kickboxing, a sport and martial art centered on competitive fighting, was found. Muay Thai kickboxing has an injury rate of between 2 to 14 per 1,000 participants per year. (16) This is a rate is similar to injury rates in other striking arts such as taekwondo and karate. Although deaths occur in Muay Thai, as in boxing, sprained fingers and toes, cuts and bruises on the head, face, and neck, and bloody noses are the more typical injuries." http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_landa_0804.htm

I'm pretty disappointed to find that boxing is no longer an official CF sport... I seem to remember seeing a lot of CF Sports HOF inductees on the wall at St. Jean for their boxing. Boxing has a long tradition in military sports. Sad to see it go.

I cannot believe Boxing is not an official sport anymore. I am not one of those individuals who likes to play with a ball. I believe I phased that out when I was 12.

ballz said:
I'm pretty disappointed to find that boxing is no longer an official CF sport... I seem to remember seeing a lot of CF Sports HOF inductees on the wall at St. Jean for their boxing. Boxing has a long tradition in military sports. Sad to see it go.

WHAT? Why would you take boxing out, of all sports?

If it is not covered in terms of insurance and liability, then not a huge of deal as practically all roller derby leagues have insurance for the skaters. I am curious whether playing an unapproved sport could mean simply not allowed.

The thing with roller derby, due to not being mainstream yet and its portrayal in previous incarnations, some may write it off as an extreme sport when it is not if rugby or hockey is not considered such. So if not in the official list, then one would have a case with the CO?

As for needing approval for events, what is considered as such? All roller derby public bouts have an audience that pay to watch, so one would have to get approval for each bout?

All assuming again that I get into roller derby whereever I may be of course. :P

mellian said:
All assuming again that I get into roller derby whenever I may be of course. :P

Good luck with that! If you don't mind a little "rink rash".
http://www.hoogrrl.com/uploaded_images/rollerderby-791162.jpg
http://novasupreni.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/768px-roller_derby_1950.jpg

mariomike said:
Good luck with that! If you don't mind a little "rink rash".
http://www.hoogrrl.com/uploaded_images/rollerderby-791162.jpg
http://novasupreni.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/768px-roller_derby_1950.jpg

The first was in postsecret and the second reminds me of the instinctive jump I did last weekend in New Jersey when some skaters fell in front of me and when I could not get around them. Yay for training.

mellian said:
The first was in postsecret

You could not see it?
It says, "I lost my job last week, and I have to move away to another city. I told my boyfriend and my parents, but I'm afraid to tell my roller derby team.  ;D

mariomike said:
You could not see it?
It says, "I lost my job last week, and I have to move away to another city. I told my boyfriend and my parents, but I'm afraid to tell my roller derby team.  ;D

That is what I meant, I first saw it at the postsecret blog.

Back