• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Leave - Academic Advancement

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
Regarding Academic Advancement (Special leave), Has anyone had any experience dealing with this type of leave? I have a Mbr that wants to apply for a program (distance learning) at a civilian educational Institution that requires two separate work terms (clinical preceptorships), up to 1 month total in 1 year. The qualification/ certificate/ diploma is trade related.
  I personally have no issues with this, Based on experience, what are the chances of this getting approved realistically?

What are your thoughts?

Mediman14 said:
Regarding Academic Advancement (Special leave),

For reference to the discussion,

Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual
http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-benefits/cflpm.pdf

It meets the requirements in the leave policy. As always its the CO's discression. I've seen it authorized before but that CO was big on professional development.

I'd recommend a well worded memo to accompany and a solid endorsement from their supervisor/OIC

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Mariomike: It's actually under 5.4

But to reiterate what the other poster said, it's at the CO's discretion / formation commander's discretion (depending on the number of days).  If the mbr can submit early and get approved early, that's optimal, so the CoC can plan around their absence (assuming it is approved)

dapaterson said:
Mariomike: It's actually under 5.4

Thanks, DAP.

Section 5.4 Special Leave (Academic Advancement)
5.4.01 Policy
Special Leave (Academic Advancement) may be granted at the discretion of the approving authority when in their opinion such academic advancement is in the interest of the CF.
Studies may include but are not limited to:
 undergraduate courses leading to a university degree;
 courses leading to a diploma;
 courses pertaining to a professional designation; or
 courses pertaining to a professional or technical training program that is not necessarily related to the member’s military occupation.
5.4.02 Application
Special Leave (Academic Advancement) applies to members of the Regular Force and members of the Reserve Force on Class “B” or “C” continuous Reserve Service for 180 days or greater.
5.4.03 Approving authority
The unit CO may grant up to 14 calendar days Special Leave (Academic Advancement) per occurrence. The Formation Commander, or the OCC where there is no Formation Commander in the member’s chain of command, may
A-PP-005-LVE/AG-001
Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual
43/90
grant up to 30 calendar days Special Leave (Academic Advancement) per occurrence, inclusive of that granted by the CO.
Special Leave (Academic Advancement) may be granted at the discretion of the approving authority when in their opinion such academic advancement is in the interest of the CF. It is not limited by fiscal year nor limited to once in a career. Each occurrence may be part of the same course of study, or for different courses, and represents situations such as, but not limited to, studying time, exam/term paper writing, conference attendance, etc. However, this type of leave is not intended to provide continuous paid leave for full-time studies; LWOP Academic or Technical Training (Section 8.6) shall be considered for this instance.
5.4.04 Limitation
Special Leave (Academic Advancement) shall not be granted in conjunction with Retirement Leave.

Mediman14 said:
Regarding Academic Advancement (Special leave), Has anyone had any experience dealing with this type of leave? I have a Mbr that wants to apply for a program (distance learning) at a civilian educational Institution that requires two separate work terms (clinical preceptorships), up to 1 month total in 1 year. The qualification/ certificate/ diploma is trade related.
  I personally have no issues with this, Based on experience, what are the chances of this getting approved realistically?

What are your thoughts?

I've used it in very small doses. I know someone who just got 30 days approved to prepare for the CFE for her CPA.

Are they getting paid during these "work terms" ? While it's not the exact same thing, in ROTP (from 2008-2012 anyway) when you do work-terms as part of your undergrad, it's considered a part of your training that you are already being paid for. Therefore, you could not accept extra pay.

In my opinion, if these are 2x two-week work-terms that are easily defendable as job-related, it's not a stretch to say it's more appropriate to have the person attend, on duty, and not any accept pay from the other organization.... rather than have them take taxpayer-paid leave while simultaneously getting paid by another organization to work.

Back