• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spare rations for the poor?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
(Should this be in the equipment forum?)

If someone over the course of a few exercises manages to collect uneaten ration packs would it be allowable for that member to give the unopened rations to a homeless shelter for distribution? Or an organization like AGAPE?  Would they be allowed to give it out to people who need it?

I think there is a legality issue whereby if they were to get sick and it was tied to the rations they could sue.  I asked this a long time ago with regards to leftovers from the mess and why not send what they had to the shelter instead of throwing it all away.

CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL said:
You are right - legal issue.

Ws

And that is a sad reflection on society. I had the misfortune of dumping 3 ton of perfectly good Rodger's sugar in 20kg bags at work that had passed an arbitrary expiry date.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I think there is a legality issue whereby if they were to get sick and it was tied to the rations they could sue.  I asked this a long time ago with regards to leftovers from the mess and why not send what they had to the shelter instead of throwing it all away.

I've heard similar things (though not with respect to military rations).  It's a damn shame that there's a lawyer in the entire profession who would take such a case.

Mind you, I've never heard of it actually happening, so it may be a lot of worry for nothing.

The legal issue aside, what makes you think the homeless would want them?  While it may sound like the old joke of MRE meaning "meals rejected by Ethiopians", I have seen hard rations rejected by some in rather dire situations in Africa.  While it is not an easy task for shelters or other helping organizations to acquire the food necessary to feed those unfortunate enough to need that assistance, it is not solely a matter of handing a box to someone and sending them on their way.  Part of what they do is providing a clean, dry place to eat a meal just like a "normal" human being; for some, having a sense of dignity may be as important as having a full belly.

Neill McKay said:
Mind you, I've never heard of it actually happening, so it may be a lot of worry for nothing.

Sadly, according to the risk managers, it only has to happen once....
Larry Strong said:
I had the misfortune of dumping 3 ton of perfectly good Rodger's sugar in 20kg bags at work that had passed an arbitrary expiry date.

That really IS sad, considering what some are pointing to as an alternative for people who are on low incomes, or those who want to be "off the grid" in as many ways as possible, in light of our profligately wasteful society.

Duh.....sugar has an expiry date.....lordy, lordy, how did we all make it this far? ::)

GAP said:
Duh.....sugar has an expiry date.....lordy, lordy, how did we all make it this far? ::)

I work for a Dog food company in Innisfail, Ab. and their only concern was litigation. The expiry date was placed on the sugar by the QA dept.

GAP said:

Those little packets of ketchup you get at fast food places have an expiry date now.  ::)

Shamrock said:
Doesn't the Good Samaritan Act cover this?

Is that a provincial law in Ontario?  There's no such act listed on the federal government website (Dept. of Justice).

The Good Samaritan Act is a provincial statute and will be known as different names in different provinces.

I think the Good Samaritan Act only covers any medical assistance provided to someone in the case of an emergency, not giving food to the poor.

PMedMoe said:
I think the Good Samaritan Act only covers any medical assistance provided to someone in the case of an emergency, not giving food to the poor.

You are correct.

Good Samaritan Act, 2001
S.O. 2001, CHAPTER 2
Definition

1.  In this Act,

“health care professional” means a member of a College of a health profession set out in Schedule 1 to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. 2001, c. 2, s. 1.

Protection from liability

2.  (1)  Despite the rules of common law, a person described in subsection (2) who voluntarily and without reasonable expectation of compensation or reward provides the services described in that subsection is not liable for damages that result from the person’s negligence in acting or failing to act while providing the services, unless it is established that the damages were caused by the gross negligence of the person. 2001, c. 2, s. 2 (1).

Persons covered

(2)  Subsection (1) applies to,

(a) a health care professional who provides emergency health care services or first aid assistance to a person who is ill, injured or unconscious as a result of an accident or other emergency, if the health care professional does not provide the services or assistance at a hospital or other place having appropriate health care facilities and equipment for that purpose; and

(b) an individual, other than a health care professional described in clause (a), who provides emergency first aid assistance to a person who is ill, injured or unconscious as a result of an accident or other emergency, if the individual provides the assistance at the immediate scene of the accident or emergency. 2001, c. 2, s. 2 (2).

Reimbursement of expenses

(3)  Reasonable reimbursement that a person receives for expenses that the person reasonably incurs in providing the services described in subsection (2) shall be deemed not to be compensation or reward for the purpose of subsection (1). 2001, c. 2, s. 2 (3).

3.  Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act). 2001, c. 2, s. 3.

4.  Omitted (enacts short title of this Act). 2001, c. 2, s. 4.

Hello happy members and guests.

Times have changed.

With food allergies etc, with nuts, seeds, dairy products, sea food like shell fish, and other things, we would be setting ourselves up for a lifetime of legal issues, say if some kid ate something, and got sick, or worse died. It has happened with rations in the past, recently here. That was a Cadet, and now Australian rations are for Defence personnel only. No exceptions.

We also throw out tonnes of food, including rations which are slashed open before being tossed in the bin. Slashing things open no longer makes us responsible should any idiot try to eat from the bins.

Also the sale of rations is also prohibited, adn states on all rat boxes 'no for sale to the public'. if rats are on Ebay, or gun shows etc, and for sale, they are stolen.

Happy days,

OWDU

Back