• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

some question reguarding issued/non issued gear and glasses.

Davidtp

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, kinda new on the forums, starting my BMQ on Sept 15 as infantry. for the first time the recruits for infantry dont have an assigned unit yet, sadly, (i as of now don't know where i am gonna end up) !! anyway,i was wondering a few things about training.

i know the BMQ is kinda strict regarding gear so my questions are more focused towards infantry course after the BMQ, right now im wearing vision glasses , will i be issued prescription glasses during the training for shooting and what not? cauz civilian glasses are kinda easy to fall off during intense physical activity.

also, what are you allowed to buy and use during training as of non issued gear, boots, knife, attachment ? (no im not a call of duty kid) i just heard that some gear may greatly increase field performance,

thank you for your help, always appreciated.

Best regards , and thank you to everyone. be safe.

David

You will be issued everything you need for QL3 and aren't likely to be allowed to use much non-issued gear.

will i receive prescription glasses for BMQ or should i buy a new pair prior in case mine broke in the way or something happend?

If you are reg force they will take you down to the optician at the Mega week2 I think. You will be fitted for 2 pairs of glasses and a set of ballistic inserts. They should arrive a few weeks later, in time for field.

If you are a reservist, you don't have optical entitlements beyond ballistic inserts for your issued BEWs, and replacement glasses should yours break during training. If this does happen, go to the MIR first, before going to replace them yourself. There are a few forms to fill out and the MIR should have arrangements in place with a local optician so you do not have to pay out of pocket. There are limits to what you can get (if you break your fancy designer frames, they will only be replaced at the cost the Crown normally pays, which may be much less than what you paid.)

i've seen some picture of PPCLI or 22th in Afghanistan, some had flashlights, ( i saw different models), some had grip, or a different buttstock, i was wondering if they were personally bought or just issued.

Look for the most part the. CF is  very bull shitty about  non-issued kit. If you're lucky you'll find yourself in a unit that's max flex when it comes to this but don't bank on it. Keep the nonissue purchases to a minimum until you've got some time in  and know whAt the your units tolerance is.

paleomedic said:
If you are reg force they will take you down to the optician at the Mega week2 I think. You will be fitted for 2 pairs of glasses and a set of ballistic inserts. They should arrive a few weeks later, in time for field.

If you are a reservist, you don't have optical entitlements beyond ballistic inserts for your issued BEWs, and replacement glasses should yours break during training. If this does happen, go to the MIR first, before going to replace them yourself. There are a few forms to fill out and the MIR should have arrangements in place with a local optician so you do not have to pay out of pocket. There are limits to what you can get (if you break your fancy designer frames, they will only be replaced at the cost the Crown normally pays, which may be much less than what you paid.)

Smaller centres won't have this option, however places like Chilliwack, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto will still have CF Medical Section. They'll take your prescription info and even do a couple measurements to send off an order for issued prescrip ballistic glasses and goggle.

X_para76 said:
Look for the most part the. CF is  very bull shitty about  non-issued kit. If you're lucky you'll find yourself in a unit that's max flex when it comes to this but don't bank on it. Keep the nonissue purchases to a minimum until you've got some time in  and know whAt the your units tolerance is.

As said by XPara,

You're not even in yet, you don't need to worry about weapon accessories.

RedcapCrusader said:
As said by XPara,

You're not even in yet, you don't need to worry about weapon accessories.

Personal ones are illegal now anyways, as per the CANFORGEN. Not that I agree with it, but its written down.

Course is all about looking the same and working as a team. I'm not infantry but the only non issued kit allowed on my course was gloves and toques because it was the middle of winter.

paleomedic said:

Are they going to check everybody at the optician or will this be only for the one that already own glasses?

MSEng314 said:
Everybody

They didn't check everyone when I went through BMQ. They only took in the people with glasses or had a prescription for glasses.

Back