• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SOLDIERS SUE DND for $60 MILLION

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I just caught this story on CTV News and was able to locate it on their web site.

The commentator said what was most significant was the number of Senior NCOs involved.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1054051584437_109///?hub=TopStories

It‘s ironic you post that; you should post it in the "Anyone seen combat" thread.

"The first one is Canadian forces culture which says ‘if you can‘t hack: get out.‘ And that‘s what happens when they come up with PTSD," Grant said.
Huh? I‘m still a wannabe and full of piss and vinegar but this complaint doesn‘t make any sense to me. When you start accomodating to people who don‘t have the cajones to earn the title then don‘t you compromise the integrity of the personelle in the military?

Real PTSD doesn‘t have anything to do with cajones. It can seriously **** you up.

PTSD is something that occurs when you find out that Antagonist A is sending their kids to say "hi" Canadian solidiers ‘cuz they‘re handing out candy etc. Then finding those kids blown to bits by mortars the next day, or watching it happen. Antagonist A blames B. Later, you find out that Antagonist A ordered the mortar shells, and that Antagonist B was nowhere near. Do the math.

It may not happen then, but it can happen after 3, 4, 5 similar instances, especially if you‘re not allowed to do anything about it, or have to stand and watch. Like any psychological problem, a lot of it stems from a feeling of helplessness. You may be the meanest, best trained soldier on the face of the planet, but if in spite of all that you are wholly incapable of changing something that is just plain wrong, you could conceivably snap.

It may sound trite (but then, I‘m a civilian), but M*A*S*H has some really good episodes on people dealing with PTSD, or shell-shock. You see enough horror, and your mind shuts down.

============
A quote from the (old) 2RCR web site:

Swank and Marchand‘s World War II study determined that after 60 days of continuous combat, 98 percent of all surviving soldiers will have become psychiatric casualties of one kind or another. (Swank and Marchand also found that the 2 percent who are able to endure sustained combat had as their most common trait a predisposition toward "aggressive psychopathic personalities.")

- David A. Grossman
=============

Ahh disregard my last post. I think I put my foot in my mouth. I never thought about it in that sense. I thought the complaint was more about hacking the overall CF lifestyle. It‘s just the inexperience talking.

PTSS and Combat Stress Reaction are defined as "A NORMAL reaction to an abnormal situation". You can have battle hardened veterans next to brand new, teenaged recruits, and only the veteran will get PTSS. It can happen to anyone, it doesn‘t discriminate, and has nothing to do with toughness, time in or anything.

This is nothing new in Canadian military history. There has been a lot of ink regarding this in WW II; then it was called Battle Exhaustion. The Canadian Army legitimized these kinds of very real afflictions, though unfortunately were at an even greater loss than we are today in effectively treating those who suffered. At least, however, exhaustion casualties were recognized and removed from the line in many cases - unlike US General Patton‘s unique method of dealing with the problem(!)

We‘ve come a long way; apparently have longer to go yet.

Perhaps there is no effective treatment or cure, aside from not having atrocities in the world. Wouldn‘t that be nice.

i have never been in combat, nor do i have the illness, nevertheless this is my belief.. forming a group of people and sueing the army is not a solution. if they care about the army and the soldiers, (which i‘m sure they do) maybee a more productive idea would be to focus that inititive towards forming a support group or something to help each other and write a proposal to the forces outlining their request for support. sueing the army doesn‘t help the army.

Sueing the army won‘t soley get them money. Even if they lose, sueing will raise awareness within the army to the situation.

did anyone notice that the lawsuit was announced the day after our defense minister stated that we would not be increasing the number of army personnel...suggesting that it was unnecessary? Is the suit in part to raise attention to the fact that more personnel are needed to relieve members on rotation (in reaction to the ministers announcement)?

SNC Lavalin Group, Inc., and more specifically Med-Emerg International, Inc. should also be held to account... [it] is the sole national provider of physician management and healthcare recruitment services to the Canadian Armed Forces.

Links:
http://www.snc-lavalin.com/en
http://www.med-emerg.com

News article of ombudsman Marin‘s inquiry into our national PTSD clinics:
http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=636a92f6-8b6c-462c-9849-295fe03df5c9

Back