• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier gets his hat shot off by ND

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! Didn't even flinch! I'd have lost my mind.

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/soldier-gets-his-hat-shot-off/1glrfoi2n

Good thing they werent using live rounds, or that guy would have been a little light headed.

If you screw up during drill, don't move, don't try to fix it. Just carry on as if nothing happened.

Even if someone shoots you in the hat.

Good man.

Once on a parade, with weapons and fixed bayonets, doing a order arms, the guy to my right grabbed the bayonet instead of the barrel.  Cut himself pretty good, blood dripping down his hand and all over his pants (we were in tans)...didn't even budge.  One of the medics had to come out and take him off the parade.  He ended up getting a hand full of stitches.

mike63 said:
Once on a parade, with weapons and fixed bayonets, doing a order arms, the guy to my right grabbed the bayonet instead of the barrel.  Cut himself pretty good, blood dripping down his hand and all over his pants (we were in tans)...didn't even budge.  One of the medics had to come out and take him off the parade.  He ended up getting a hand full of stitches.

Hard cores, I tell ya... Doing it right!

On rare occasion I have sympathy for an argument that it's absolutely appropriate to turn around in ranks and punch someone in the face. I'd be hard pressed to argue against that one here.

Hurricane said:
Good thing they werent using live rounds, or that guy would have been a little light headed.

"Although blank cartridges do not contain a bullet, precautions are still required because fatalities and severe injuries have resulted on occasions when blank cartridges have been fired at very close ranges." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_%28cartridge%29

Just saying...

mike63 said:

I saw a guy "flick" his bayonet right into his armpit on a shoulder arms once, IIRC he marched himself off, straight to the medics. (about 20m in front of him) Entire BN on pde too BTW.

BernDawg said:
I saw a guy "flick" his bayonet right into his armpit on a shoulder arms once, IIRC he marched himself off, straight to the medics. (about 20m in front of him) Entire BN on pde too BTW.

Well you know, there should be a certain limit one should be forced to remain on the parade for.  Loss of blood, I'd be thinking I should leave, pride often over takes common sense.
Years ago, it was better to get that 'good soldier you are for not falling out' speech from the RSM compared to an other speech he would have been giving you if you did fall out!  I don't know what it is like on parades now a days but, I'm pretty sure it isn't old-school.

At Vernon Cadet Camp in 1962, a member of Guard Coy had a self inflicted wound from a bayonet.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/news-nouvelles/story-reportage-eng.asp?id=877

Monday, January 30, 2006

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — Any soldier who has ever done a parade knows things can go wrong. Rifle drills in a Distinctive Environment Uniform is straightforward but when a bayonet and combat clothing are included problems can arise.

For example, parts of the C7 rifle can get caught on the combat shirt during drill movements.

Private Eric Schroeder experienced this predicament last month during a change of command parade at Minto Armoury involving the 17 (Winnipeg) and 18 (Thunder Bay) Service Battalions.

Private Eric Schroeder receives treatment from Corporal Trevor Meredith. Private Eric Schroeder receives treatment from Corporal Trevor Meredith.
During one of the many "Present…ARMS" at the beginning of the parade, the scope of his C7 rifle caught the pocket of his combat shirt, causing his rifle barrel to jolt back and the bayonet to strike his forehead. This resulted in a trickle of blood that ran from his forehead down to his mouth.

"I didn't think much about it until I felt the blood dripping down my face," said Pte Schroeder.

The injury remained unnoticed until the reviewing officer, Lieutenant-Colonel John Robins, stopped to talk to him.

Pte Calin Ritchie, a medic with 17 (Winnipeg) Field Ambulance was called forward and told to clean up his face. "I'm fine, it's not that bad," stated Pte Schroeder.

The injured soldier kept his position and never wavered during the rest of the parade. Once they were marched off and dismissed, Pvt Schroeder went to be treated by Corporal Trevor Meredith of 17 (Winnipeg) Fd Amb.

"Other than this, my drill was better than normal," said Pte Schroeder. "I feel better now. It should heal without a scar."

Article and photos by Corporal Bill Gomm

Photo Captions:

Lieutenant-Colonel John Robins, LCol Peachey and LCol Brian Batter stop to talk with Private Eric Schroeder during the inspection. Pte Schroeder struck his face with his bayonet during a “Present Arms”.

Private Eric Schroeder receives treatment from Corporal Trevor Meredith.

Back