• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Social media in Toronto Emergency Services

Code5 said:
My service has had a few issues in the past with people posting inappropriate things to facebook, one resulting in a hefty suspension. 

Our Department had to put out an SOP in 2008 regarding, "Photography in the Workplace".

"No photography (digitally or on film) of any scene or situation involving any patient or other person unless expressly authorized by the Chief or his designate."

One thing about the job, just when you think it can't get any worse, it always does:
http://nypost.com/2013/03/31/fdny-ems-workers-post-gory-private-photos-of-patients-online/

mariomike said:
One thing about the job, just when you think it can't get any worse, it always does:
http://nypost.com/2013/03/31/fdny-ems-workers-post-gory-private-photos-of-patients-online/

WTF, really.

Just like the idiots I ran into in during my time in the CF who put obscene/racist stuff on the DWAN then wondered why they were in sh*t about it. How do some peoples' brains work?  This NY EMS stuff IMHO is far worse than the stupid tweets discussed above.

Which doesn't excuse the stupid tweets.

pbi said:
WTF, really.

Just like the idiots I ran into in during my time in the CF who put obscene/racist stuff on the DWAN then wondered why they were in **** about it. How do some peoples' brains work?  This NY EMS stuff IMHO is far worse than the stupid tweets discussed above.

Which doesn't excuse the stupid tweets.

That's not very nice, an invasion of privacy.  I would not like that if it was me, I have a very small penis! (your coffee just came through your nose)

pbi said:
This NY EMS stuff IMHO is far worse than the stupid tweets discussed above.

Unfortunately, only the technology has changed. I remember Polaroid albums back when I started on the job.   

It isn't limited to NYC either.

"Ontario Provincial Police officer Daniel Bailey told the commission Tuesday he observed members of the fire department and Task Force 3 taking “trophy photos” during rescue efforts at the Algo Centre Mall."
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/27/trophy-photos-posted-to-facebook-after-elliot-lake-mall-collapse

TF3 is Toronto HUSAR.

I bet Daniel Bailey can't get coffee at the Elliot Lake fire hall any more!

I can see taking pictures for record purposes or for training, but not for "tourist" purposes. "Hi Mom! Look at me at the big disaster!"

pbi said:
I can see taking pictures for record purposes or for training, but not for "tourist" purposes.

The ( T-EMS ) Photography SOP goes on to say, "Photographs should only be taken in patient care circumstances when a clear benefit to the documentation of patient care exists (for example, documentation of a complex mechanism of injury /entanglement before, during and after extrication)."

Update: December 9, 2013

"Three Toronto firefighters axed in September following a month-long investigation into tweets and other social media posts seen as degrading to women may be back on the job if the union has its way.

The Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association told Torstar News Service that they are awaiting arbitration dates for three members. President Ed Kennedy said he couldn’t discuss the issue beyond confirming that a grievance has been filed.

The social media posts at issue include a seven-year-old line from The Office — “Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms” — and a quote from a 1997 episode of South Park: “I’d never let a woman kick my a–. If she tried something, I’d be like HEY! You get your b—- a– back in the kitchen and make me some pie!”

As city employees, firefighters are required to follow the city’s social media guidelines.

These guidelines state employees should “not engage in harassment, personal attacks or abuse toward individuals or organizations,” and “not use language that is discriminatory, hateful, or violent towards identifiable groups or that incites others to discriminate, practice hate or violence.” '
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/879235/firefighters-axed-for-social-media-posts-dispute-termination/

Back