• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So far so good

The lady at CFRC said that she's currently booking the ACS for End of Jan - Early March. I don't think they have one every week but maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

O.K. So I handed in my bloodwork/ecg/eye test today to the recruitment centre, and I asked to speak to one of the med. guys about my concern for the cholesterol levels.

He came out and asked me what my concerns were, so I told him my cholesterol. He said that was fine, but I might not get pilot because of my eyes. This confused the heck out of me.

While I was at the eye doctor, he had a paper that had all the different pilot positions (jets, helos, etc.) and the eye requirements for each one. The optomatrist (sp?) told me my eyes were good enough for any of them. I have 20/20 vision with slight astigmatism.

So on one hand I am happy for hearing that the cholesterol wouldnt be a problem, nervous about him saying I have a problem with my eyes, and thinking he may be a little confused himself.

Guess I'll just wait to see what AirCrew says about me.

Take care folks.

Zach

While I was at the eye doctor, he had a paper that had all the different pilot positions (jets, helos, etc.) and the eye requirements for each one. The optomatrist (sp?) told me my eyes were good enough for any of them. I have 20/20 vision with slight astigmatism.

Interesting. I thought that during the initial recruitment / testing stage, the vision requirements are the same for all pilots. My form had nothing about different pilot positions (jets, helos etc.) It listed details on my vision, that I was testing for Aircrew - Pilot , some history on my eyes and that I met the criteria. Nothing else other than the notes the Doctor added.

While I was at the eye doctor, he had a paper that had all the different pilot positions (jets, helos, etc.) and the eye requirements for each one.

Yes what are you referring too?  Some transport Canada document that has nothing to do with the CF because there is only one standard for entry pilots into the CF and that is perfect uncorrected vision.

Theres a thread on here explaining the whole v1-v5 rating system. Pilots have to have a v1 rating. A V1 rating is 20/20 in your best eye uncorrected, and 20/30 or less in your worse eye uncorrected. If I understood the post correctly.

I am not exactly sure what paper the doctor had, but it was a Canadian Forces document specifying required eye sight. All I know is what he told me from reading off a paper that he said was the CF requirements.

But I am 20/20 in both eyes, so that isn't what really concerns me. I just thought it was odd the med. examiner came out and told me my slightly high choleterol wasnt a problem but that my eyes might be..

- Zach                   

I got the call yesterday about my ACS. I'm scheduled for the 13-17 selection. Anyone else going?

Congrats ZxExN, I hope I am in your shoes soon.

Its been a little over a week now since I handed in my medical stuff. If I don't hear from them by next friday I may consider giving a ring to the office and see if they have gotten any news from trenton.

- Zach

I got my study guide yesterday and went through it and am a little anxious. Can someone who has gone through ACS tell me if it would be beneficial for me to rent some time in a flight sim? The reason I ask this is because it seems they are measuring your learning curve and I guess if you come in with some skills, your learning curve might not be as steep? Or am I misundertstanding the whole process?

ZxExN said:
I got my study guide yesterday and went through it and am a little anxious. Can someone who has gone through ACS tell me if it would be beneficial for me to rent some time in a flight sim? The reason I ask this is because it seems they are measuring your learning curve and I guess if you come in with some skills, your learning curve might not be as steep? Or am I misundertstanding the whole process?

From what I have heard and and from what I have read on this site, there are some with hundreds if not thousands of hours, or a commercial license who have failed. There are others who had zero experience and passed...

Yeah thats why I'm trying to think why did they fail. I'm sure it wasn't because they couldn't fly level. Could it be because they were already good at flying so their learning improving curve wasn't as high?

Edit: Does anyone know a place I can contact to book afew hours of Flight Sim time?
My location is : Woodbridge/Vaughan

Could be things like bad habits or you didn't listen to instructions. Good question though. They could also have failed for medical reasons (Short legs, ECG etc.)

Did you look read <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36730.0.html"> this thread </a> ?
Look at "Spidy's" post.

First off, I'm a Griffon pilot who's been flying operationally for 3 yrs now, did ACS in 1994.

You guys are getting too wound up over ACS.  It doesn't test your flying abilities, it tests your abilities to learn and follow instructions.  Flying 20' low?  You're not following instructions.  Flying 100' high?  Not following instructions.

Go in there with an open mind with a good attitude.  There was a commercial pilot on my ACS that failed.  Me?  0 flying experience whatsoever.  I did fine.  You guys should stop worrying about what pedals to buy for your computers, and start planning just in case you fail ACS.  Don't centre your life around becoming a pilot, because ACS is by far the easiest step in the process to get military wings.

There are only 2 reasons for failing ACS - you couldn't follow instructions accurately, or you weren't medically fit.  Simple as that.  Sorry to be so, um, brutally honest, but the staff there aren't there to help you pass.  That part is up to you, and there isn't enough MSflight sim time in the world that will help you.

There is also <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36026.0.html"> this post</a>.

I also could be if you put down you have currently have a flying license that the bar to pass is a lot higher. 

I'm so excited. Anyone else joining me on Sunday? I wonder what kind of medical they'll be doing.

I know they do an ECG.ZxExN do you know when your medical got sent back east. If not what day was your medical on?

I did my medical around mid December, 14th or so. It was sent back from Ottawa on the 9th and I called the following week and the Cpl. booked my ACS for me. I didn't wait for them to call me. She asked me when I wanted to go to ACS, Late Jan - Early March.

It was during the holiday season so the medical might have taken longer for me then it normally would though. Approx. 3 weeks.

Thats good for you bad for me hehe. My medical got sent back east on DEC 15 and it's still not back. I've call numerous times just to make sure. Wonder whats takin so long, I had no complications. Ohh well it's just a big waiting game, but i'm one very very very impatient person hehe.

weird, i did my medical and the next week they had the results for my interview.  :-\

Back