• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Small Plane Crashes in to Richmond Apartment

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Breaking news...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071019/plane_crash_071019/20071019?hub=TopStories

Indeed it did! Lots of emergency crews on scene. All traffic has been diverted, and authorities are asking the public to not gaggle around like we all know that they do.

We had a DC-3 crash near the #2 bridge back in the 90's, now there is a condo there, I not surprised by this.

It's a block away from my appartment. Police still have Westminster Hwy blocked off.

WHAT????? What is it with all these recent crashes here in BC? Last week or so, I heard about a plane crashing on Vancouver Island which had a local pilot and two German tourists aboard; unfortnately none of the three survived in that other crash, if I can recall correctly.

Maybe I should consider having private pilot training in the future elsewhere...LOL.

I was a few blocks away from the complex where it hit. I heard about it on the radio. There was no smoke or anything from the crash, luckily.

Apparently the guy who was flying had a prior accident, where he missed the runway in Maple Ridge, I think. IIRC, he was 80 years old. Shame.

Sounds like he lost one engine then went below his Vmc (minimum control) speed... which would explain the transition into nose dive described.  When you lose an engine, it creates a yaw in the aircraft.  When you go slow enough, there isn't enough airflow over the rudder to counteract the engine yaw, leading to loss of control: hence the crash.  The multi guys could probably add to this discussion. 

Back